ITE RAID on KNS8 PRO

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I am using the IDE GIGARAID on my mobo with two WD 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB
HD's that worked just fine on my asus P4 board -

I set them up and created the array (booting off SATA drive so not a
boot drive problem)...

but I seem to get them recognized about 1 out of 5 boots -

every other time i get "Error!! Firmware is not ready"

I have updated to the latest bios but still it happens more often than not..

anyone know what's up?

David Wilts schrieb:

> I am using the IDE GIGARAID on my mobo with two WD 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB
> HD's that worked just fine on my asus P4 board -
>
> I set them up and created the array (booting off SATA drive so not a
> boot drive problem)...
>
> but I seem to get them recognized about 1 out of 5 boots -
>
> every other time i get "Error!! Firmware is not ready"
>
> I have updated to the latest bios but still it happens more often than
> not..
>
> anyone know what's up?

Read "7N400 pro2 RAID problems" from 10/19/04,
mid: <2tkbpaF1ucda4U1@uni-berlin.de>

Marcel.

--
Unix ist echt Scheisse, einmal eingerichtet laeuft es einfach.
Wie soll man da Erfahrung sammeln -- sfr in #debian.de

Reply-To ist funktionstüchtig.

Marcel Meckel wrote:
> David Wilts schrieb:
>

>>I am using the IDE GIGARAID on my mobo with two WD 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB
>>HD's that worked just fine on my asus P4 board -
>>
>>I set them up and created the array (booting off SATA drive so not a
>>boot drive problem)...
>>
>>but I seem to get them recognized about 1 out of 5 boots -
>>
>>every other time i get "Error!! Firmware is not ready"
>>
>>I have updated to the latest bios but still it happens more often than
>>not..
>>
>>anyone know what's up?
>

> Read "7N400 pro2 RAID problems" from 10/19/04,
> mid: <2tkbpaF1ucda4U1@uni-berlin.de>
>
> Marcel.

thanks I did search the NG but that thread does not have an answere
other than to say me too ! :)

David Wilts wrote:
> Marcel Meckel wrote:
>
>> David Wilts schrieb:
>>

>>> I am using the IDE GIGARAID on my mobo with two WD 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB
>>> HD's that worked just fine on my asus P4 board -
>>>
>>> I set them up and created the array (booting off SATA drive so not a
>>> boot drive problem)...
>>>
>>> but I seem to get them recognized about 1 out of 5 boots -
>>>
>>> every other time i get "Error!! Firmware is not ready"
>>>
>>> I have updated to the latest bios but still it happens more often than
>>> not..
>>>
>>> anyone know what's up?
>>

>> Read "7N400 pro2 RAID problems" from 10/19/04,
>> mid: <2tkbpaF1ucda4U1@uni-berlin.de>
>>
>> Marcel.
>>
> thanks I did search the NG but that thread does not have an answere
> other than to say me too ! :)
Well I found an answer but ..

if I set both drives to cable select - they are both recognized and I
can create the array. But in XP I cannot format the array. It sees the
drive letter but reports the drive needs formatted - then it fails to
format. I may try a complete reinstall and format it out in the build part.

David Wilts wrote:
> David Wilts wrote:
>
>> Marcel Meckel wrote:

>>> Read "7N400 pro2 RAID problems" from 10/19/04,
>>> mid: <2tkbpaF1ucda4U1@uni-berlin.de>
>>>
>>> Marcel.
>>>
>> thanks I did search the NG but that thread does not have an answere
>> other than to say me too ! :)
>
> Well I found an answer but ..
>
> if I set both drives to cable select - they are both recognized and I
> can create the array. But in XP I cannot format the array. It sees the
> drive letter but reports the drive needs formatted - then it fails to
> format. I may try a complete reinstall and format it out in the build part.
Swapped out the Wd with Maxtors and boom everything is good now - looks
like the controller just does not like those WD drives (I double checked
them on my asus and they work just fine there).