It's A Fanless Cooler for your 2.5" Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]I little too late since new SSD's and HDD's run very cool.Also it is a little expensive for essentially a block of aluminum and some pads.[/citation]
My thoughts exactly, besides, the great majority of computer cases have a front intake fan that blows over the hdd cages already.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
2.5" laptop drives run very very very very very cool as it is ...7200RPM, something like 1.8 watts when accessing full tilt, 1 watt when idle...It is the ultimate green drive for your desktop, besides $1000 SSDs.

IMO, this cooler would only be good for a naked velociraptor or a Seagate Constellation.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If that isn't enough and you still want one just go down to eBay or something and grab Western Digital's VelociRaptor cages, should keep it cool though it won't fit in other form factors or reduce vibrations. danwat got that in before I logged in.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]do ssds get hot? well not burning hot, but warm enough to want cooling?[/citation]

Been a while since I've looked at the specs, but they do run cooler. Cooling for my SSD didn't even cross my mind.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
This is for people who want to show off, and I'm cool with that. What I'm not cool with is Tom's making it sound like HDDs run just as hot as other components. And SSDs should be even cooler owing to the fact that they have no moving parts. Shame on you Tom's.

Tesla1483

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, SSD's produce very very little heat, not nearly enough to justify spending any amount of money on some sort of cooling device. In reality, that chunk of aluminum would probably do nothing, thermal-wise, since the temperature differential between the drive and the ambient heat inside your case is virtually zero.

fertyop

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
This is nothing new, I won something exactly like this made by someone else and IMO its something you'd buy when you have too much money.

Too many layers of thermal compound adversely affects the heat transfer. I don't know how much research went into this, but it seems counterproductive to me.
Some independent benchmarks would be nice, ran with a thermal sensor attached directly to the drive's surface. That is, if anyone really cares about this product.

Buy 'em, install 'em, snap some photos with the case lid off, then return 'em. lol j/k

It's just for looks. Some of my HDDs are all black, some metal, some with ugly stickers and bar codes showing. You want these to gain a more uniform look, and that's about it. Bottom line, no thanks.

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Does this seem like a paid advertisement to anyone else? Its not like coolers exactly like this haven't been available for years.[/citation]

Or filler to load up the 1st page of news until real bits come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.