[SOLVED] It's a good moment to upgrade my Ryzen 1600?

IsraelHP

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
Hello guys!!

Thank you in advance to help me with this. I have this PC and I would like to upgrade my Ryzen 1600 because I think it's old for the current gaming requirements:
  1. GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition PNY
  2. 16GB Corsair Led 3200MHz
  3. ASrock AB350 Pro4
What do you think would be a better option to upgrade? My current MoBo will support a recent model of Ryzen series or should I move to Intel?

My suggested options by fast web searchs are:
  1. Ryzen 5 3600
  2. Ryzen 5 5600
  3. Intel i5 9700K
  4. Other???
I use to play RTS games like the new Age of Empires, Total War games and all the related games only. For RPGs or action games I have a PS5. My monitor is 1080p at 75hz.

What do thikn? Should I upgrade?

Thanks in advance!!!!

In that mix, Ryzen 3600 would be only viable choice. The 5600X PROBABLY will not be supported on your B350 motherboard, nor any other 5000 series CPU. The i5 9700K definitely would not be.

You could go with a 3700X or 3800X, but I'd not go with any more cores on that board. They will help only with productivity type apps, not gaming. Another good choice would be 3600X which would provide 90-99% of the gaming performance of any other CPU on the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: IsraelHP

IsraelHP

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
In that mix, Ryzen 3600 would be only viable choice. The 5600X PROBABLY will not be supported on your B350 motherboard, nor any other 5000 series CPU. The i5 9700K definitely would not be.

You could go with a 3700X or 3800X, but I'd not go with any more cores on that board. They will help only with productivity type apps, not gaming. Another good choice would be 3600X which would provide 90-99% of the gaming performance of any other CPU on the market.

So, the best option for me would be the 3600X?

AS Rock AB350 Pro4 - CPU Support List
Of the options you listed, the 3600 is the only compatible one. If you can spend a bit more, I'd probably look at the Ryzen 7 3700X.

-Wolf sends

Edit - You'll also likely need to update your BIOS before installing the new CPU.

Would be a great improvement with the 3700X or should I upgrade my MoBo?

Honestly, unless you get a new GPU, I don't think you will get much boost, going with a better CPU. A 1070 is slower, than the 5600xt in this video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfwXqODqp4

A good upgrade for GPU could be 2060?

So, the best option for me would be the 3600X?
For just gaming, yes. But as @logainofhades notes, how much you gain will probably be limited to nil because of your GPU. In truth ANY GPU will be a limiter to gaming performance, especially with a 3600X, so the older and lower spec it is the more it limits performance.

But there is a case for moving up to 8 core CPU's...3700X or 3800x. That's if you do productivity apps (video editing/transcoding for instance) and you want to reduce the time spent in those activities. But for just gaming, 6 cores is still the sweet spot even for games that increasingly support more cores/threads. Aside from the productivity apps, a 3700X might give a slight gaming boost but nothing that's going to make you sit up in your chair even with a 3080ti or 6800xt in there.

Last edited:

IsraelHP

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
For just gaming, yes. But as @logainofhades notes, how much you gain will probably be limited to nil because your GPU's going to be the limiter. In truth ANY GPU will be a limiter to gaming performance, especially with a 3600X, so the older and lower spec it is the more it limits performance.

But there is a case for moving up to 8 core CPU's...3700X or 3800x. That's if you do productivity apps (video editing/transcoding for instance) and you want to reduce the time spent in those activities. But for just gaming, 6 cores is still the sweet spot even for games that increasingly support more cores/threads. Aside from the productivity apps, a 3700X might give a slight gaming boost but nothing that's going to be noticeable even with a 3080ti or 6800xt in there.
Thank you! Indeed I will not use any productivity app or video rendering, just RTS gaming. This idea came to my mind because I was playing AoE 4 yesterday and got some stutering and FPS drops.

....This idea came to my mind because I was playing AoE 4 yesterday and got some stutering and FPS drops.
Upgrading to a 3600X is a good idea right now since they're still available...even if a bit price inflated. It will also continue to be a good gaming CPU for a while as GPU's are just way to outlandishly expensive to push average gamers into more CPU than that right now. It will probably continue that way until late 2022 or even 2023. Unless Intel paints the shelves blue with GPU's that are actually useful for gaming but miners hate.

But, some 'suddenly developing' stuttering and FPS drops in a formerly stable gaming rig is quite likely due to a Windows install that needs some attention. Maybe DDR uninstall GPU drivers and re-installing them, "SFC/scannow" to fix up inconsistencies in system files, cleaning up the WinSX folder, checking for trash-ware that's come back from the dead. Things like that.

IsraelHP

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
Upgrading to a 3600X is a good idea right now since they're still available...even if a bit price inflated. It will also continue to be a good gaming CPU for a while as GPU's are just way to outlandishly expensive to push average gamers into more CPU than that right now. It will probably continue that way until late 2022 or even 2023. Unless Intel paints the shelves blue with GPU's that are actually useful for gaming but miners hate.

But, some 'suddenly developing' stuttering and FPS drops in a formerly stable gaming rig is quite likely due to a Windows install that needs some attention. Maybe DDR uninstall GPU drivers and re-installing them, "SFC/scannow" to fix up inconsistencies in system files, cleaning up the WinSX folder, checking for trash-ware that's come back from the dead. Things like that.

I'm pretty sure it's related with Win11, I will rollback to Win 10 because my CPU it's not recommended for Win 11.

logainofhades

Titan
Definetely would be more affordable change my mobo than change my GPU now, or my GPU should be the target?

CPU and Motherboard would be cheaper than a GPU, for sure. RTS games you might see a performance boost, as those tend to be more CPU dependent. The general rule of GPU is more important, for gaming, does have its exceptions.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H570M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $349.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-29 12:32 EDT-0400

What is your budget?

The games you describe tend to be cpu centric and single threaded.

Do a few tests to see how sensitive your games are to
Different processor characteristics.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think you are cpu limited, try taking away a few of your current threads and see if your performance is much impacted. That lets you know how many threads you can effectively use. I suspect 6-8.

In windows power management, try setting your max cpu performance to 80% If you see a big impact, it suggests looking for higher single thread performance.

It would seem that a 3600x is about the best you can do without changing out the motherboard. $1bout $290.
You still get 12 threads, but the threads are some 25% faster.

With the intel lake launch, I think I would wait to see what that brings. I think the I5-12400 is going to be the chip of choice for those who value single thread performance.
List prices are less than the 3600X
Here is a leaked test:
https://www.techpowerup.com/287709/...king-beats-ryzen-5-5600x-in-leaked-benchmarks

With the intel lake launch, I think I would wait to see what that brings. I think the I5-12400 is going to be the chip of choice for those who value single thread performance.
List prices are less than the 3600X
Here is a leaked test:
https://www.techpowerup.com/287709/...king-beats-ryzen-5-5600x-in-leaked-benchmarks
Definitely wait... as with all hardware launches. Always take performance leaks with a grain or two of salt.

Also...moving to a suitable motherboard for Alder Lake will probably be far more expensive than the CPU cost difference. It also means new DDR5 memory.... unless there will be a DDR 4 variant? But that will give up a lot of the performance benefit, surely?

The whole package will take weeks, if not months to be fully understood by the tech community in terms of optimal performance and value proposition goes. I'd have to say: let the reviewers inform us, the techno-freaks find the limits and the enthusiasts find the value positions first.

On newegg, there are a number of Z690 based motherboards that will be released the first week of November. $200 or so is the starting range. They will mostly be DDR4 motherboards and that is good since DDR5 ram does not seem to be readily available.

Oct 30, 2021
Hello guys!!

Thank you in advance to help me with this. I have this PC and I would like to upgrade my Ryzen 1600 because I think it's old for the current gaming requirements:
  1. GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition PNY
  2. 16GB Corsair Led 3200MHz
  3. ASrock AB350 Pro4
What do you think would be a better option to upgrade? My current MoBo will support a recent model of Ryzen series or should I move to Intel?

My suggested options by fast web searchs are:
  1. Ryzen 5 3600
  2. Ryzen 5 5600
  3. Intel i5 9700K
  4. Other???
I use to play RTS games like the new Age of Empires, Total War games and all the related games only. For RPGs or action games I have a PS5. My monitor is 1080p at 75hz.

What do thikn? Should I upgrade?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Out of thoes options 1 is the most frugal. And makes sense. Otherwise . Me personaly id do option 2 go with a 5600 cpu and a 570x mb all you need is 16 gig of ram running at 32 -3600 speed ddr4 and a decent power supply .

Reactions: IsraelHP