It's a RAM quickie

lanal

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
My Acer Aspire notebook is slow; jumping from application to application is tiresome, it lags, freezes, and "Not responding"s all the time. It isn't a daily driver but it's a major chore to turn on for anything the iPad can't handle.

I'm currently rocking a whopping 3GB of Elpida's finest RAM, and potentially looking to snap up some Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) or 8GB RAM (2x4GB) to give it a kick up the bum for £25/£50.

Question: Would a cheap(ish) RAM upgrade help me?

Specs:
Core i3-330M (2.13Ghz)
3 GB - PC3-8500s (DDR3-1066)
(5 mins after boot I'm running at c. 85% RAM usage on Task Manager with nothing open, 45 minutes (with 1 x excel open, 1 x firefox (3 tabs) open I'm running at c. 40% RAM usage).

Usage:
Non-intensive - mainly MS Office, Web and yet still incredibly slow.

Thank you.

Solution
Only upgrade RAM if your RAM ever actually reached your current max (3GB). Also make sure you're buying compatible RAM (I am not knowledgeable on laptop RAM compatibility).

I do think some more RAM will help.

lanal

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Thank you for your reply bud. I decided to double the RAM (up to 6 GB) and a quicker rating and it has really sharpened it up.

I only saw it reach around 90% usage (still for very light usage) but for the reasonable cost involved I decided just to go for it to give it a try. And it worked out well

TRENDING THREADS