Its Feb. Wasnt the R600 due?

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
I thought I read that the R600 was due out at the end of January to early Feb?

Has anyone heard any updates on the next ATI card?

cptdread

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I read somewhere that there is going to be a paper launch in March with the hardware coming in April.

I am not going to hold my breath until I can see some Hardware on the Shelves. If ATI is holding off releasing any information until they get the drivers correctly (or make sure it is a good product), then I give ATI kudos for recognizing the driver issue with Vista that Nvidia is currently having or ensuring they have a good product.

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I read somewhere that there is going to be a paper launch in March with the hardware coming in April.

I am not going to hold my breath until I can see some Hardware on the Shelves. If ATI is holding off releasing any information until they get the drivers correctly (or make sure it is a good product), then I give ATI kudos for recognizing the driver issue with Vista that Nvidia is currently having or ensuring they have a good product.
It's going to launch in March and it's supposed to be in volume. AMD pushed the launch back because ATI was going to do a paper launch, and AMD wanted the cards out in huge numbers.

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Paper launch in March with mass availability in April. Hope you have a super-roomy case since it will be a full 12" long for the X2800 XTX. The XT, Pro and GT will be about 8800 GTS sized - roughly 9" in length, each with different PCB designs. Check here.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37040

Before you bash the source they've been dead on about G80 long before it was out, among many, many others.

And yes, you ATi fanboys will be happy to hear that nVidia is going to get smoked by a good margin. Why else would nVidia be so desperate to make the radical step of making G81 (refresh) at 65nm?

I smell NV30 v.s. R300 all over again. Sheesh.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

hmm I've been running Vista Ultimate for 2 months now without a problem with my X1900XTX.

I can't wait to see what R600 brings. I'm so tired of hearing about nVidia. Not that I don't like nVidia, I love 'em. But I want another option for high end video card.
(I prefer ATI over nVidia for video cards, I've just had more luck with ATI than nVidia).

The_Skyo

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Actually the latest rumours are that the 12.5" inch card was either pre-release test or it's an OEM vers. The release card should be 9.5" long.
It will be shown around march 9th, and released en masse towards the end or march.
I'm definitely waiting on this card to be a smash : )

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Paper launch in March with mass availability in April. Hope you have a super-roomy case since it will be a full 12" long for the X2800 XTX. The XT, Pro and GT will be about 8800 GTS sized - roughly 9" in length, each with different PCB designs. Check here.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37040

There are 2 different versions of the high end xtx. A 12 inch version and a 9.5 inch version.

The 12 inch long version is ONLY for OEMs. Unless you buy a pre-made system you'll never see that one.

The retail version that everyone will be able to buy is only 9.5 inches, a full inch shorter than the 8800.

Ati/Amd isn't stupid enough to release a card 90% of its customers can't fit in their case.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4622

As for release date, the official launch for the xtx and xt is in the 2nd week of March, but it might take a few weeks to start seeing them for sale in any large quantities. The lower end versions are supposed to come a few weeks after.