It's Finally Happening: Oculus Rift Pre-Orders Start Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
What day are they going to show the big breakthrough for the htc vive ?

can't reveal when yet, but we'll have the news up as soon as we can.

How wonderful this is! So.... can I just plug this thing in, and play Far Cry with it?

Oculus Rift has specific games that are designed for it. It won't work with already released games without a special driver, but even then its not really designed to do that.
the best experiences for VR are build from the ground up with VR in mind

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
How wonderful this is! So.... can I just plug this thing in, and play Far Cry with it?

Unless the developer or the mod community step up, any games released before 2016 will not be a proper VR experience . Even with developer or mod support, I expect any game "converted" to VR would be lacking vs a game designed for VR.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Unless the developer or the mod community step up, any games released before 2016 will not be a proper VR experience . Even with developer or mod support, I expect any game "converted" to VR would be lacking vs a game designed for VR.

Even just the ability to "look behind you" in an FPS without changing the direction of your running direction (or gun) would be of benefit. However, if you think about current FPSes, you can see why free head movement is not compatible with how they're written.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
"...we do know that it will include the Rift HMD, an Xbox One controller and one base station for spacial tracking"
Um..no. What's the price without the Xbone controller I don't need and will never use. Those things are like $50-$60, right? No thanks.
Drop the price (whatever it is) by $50 and keep the useless controller please.

Assuming you have the hardware .... if ya happy with 30 fps on screen, you'll want 90ish on the OR.

Even just the ability to "look behind you" in an FPS without changing the direction of your running direction (or gun) would be of benefit. However, if you think about current FPSes, you can see why free head movement is not compatible with how they're written.

Can do that now pretty much with a Head Mouse ... my son uses this for flight equipped games
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
http://www.thehumansolution.com/naturalpoint-trackir-5.html

I scanned the article for a $. Still dying to know the price. But still, it's going to take a while for developers to make games for this that are good. We don't want this to be Microsoft Kinect, because when it's actually released, there'll be so little (and usually Indie) games only for it!

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

I imagine you would be able to get an app that can display your current games on a large screen in VR. Or emulate multiple displays like you would get from an Eyefinity setup. That alone could be pretty good.

Expect screen manufacturers to be slightly bothered by the launch of VR. Essentially it is a competing technology.

Most games could theoretically be changed to display in true full 3D, but not all game design will work well for it. Some pretty standard concepts like selection circles do not translate well into real 3D - To the point where it is bothersome - That became pretty apparent with good old 3D capable screens already.

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
VR won't take over screens, people aren't going to run Windows in a headset.
Not completely. But I would watch movies on a big screen cinema theatre in VR in a heartbeat. And I do not own 3 monitors. so I'd play an older flight simulator on 3 virtual screens given the option. Many existing strategy games could be enjoyable with a view of a very large screen from the top.

Also consider that devs/modders could add as many info screens and control "surfaces" as they want in VR. There is great potential there for existing flat screen titles given a mod or two.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
You should totally do a poll to see how many folks here are going to buy an Oculus Rift or are even buying into the whole "VR" thing in general. I bet that would be an interesting pie chart! :)

The next big thing always arrives before it's "ready". VTR will be no different, those that have the cash and patience to live on the bleeding edge will suffer a bit till the technology improves enough to be cost reasonable and keep running w/o too much effort.

-New CPus / MoBos arrive that are replaced by later steppings w/ bug fixes and tweaks.
-Reference cards arrive before the tweaked non reference ones that we all want.
-IPS Gaming screens were marketed before they really were suitable for such
-4k arrived before DP1.3 and GFX cards that can push it past 30 fps at highest settings.
-4 TB drives are here for a while but only recently have gotten failure rates below 2%
-SSDs arrived before reliability and garbage collection was "finished"
-And the ever true, "Everything before SP3 is still a beta " :)

OneFai

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
It really depends on the price. If it is less than 300 hundred, then it is a yes to me. If it is more, then I will wait. Too many VR headsets coming up and I want to see some kind of standard before I invest some hard earned money.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

we already know for sure it won't be $300.
Oculus was targeting $400, but the company has recently hinted towards a higher price than that.

I'll be getting one...
For those of you that didn't know. An HMD can be setup and used like a typical screen. There are programs available that will let you see windows, movies and games in 2D.
How?
Imagine playing your fav game in a virtual movie theater, on a huge screen. That's basically how it's done, that is also how the XBOX One games will be played in your Oculus (if you have an XBOX)...

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Interesting that they're releasing with a 3rd person title... not really a vr optimum genre. If the point is to showcase the immersion possibilities then they should have a crazy first person title like that vertigo inducing mountain climbing demo we saw last week.

Interesting that they're releasing with a 3rd person title... not really a vr optimum genre. If the point is to showcase the immersion possibilities then they should have a crazy first person title like that vertigo inducing mountain climbing demo we saw last week.

Probably because FPS is the most likely to cause nausea/dizziness etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.