Question It's Majesty - Coil Whine!

NaranJust

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Hi, everyone!

I've recently treated myself to a PC based on Z390 Aorus Pro, i7-9700K, RTX2070S Gaming OC.
The first time I started the Heaven benchmark, I heard a certain noise which I had suspected to be - coil whine.

I've narrowed it down to the GPU - whenever the FPS counter hits high digits (100+), the whine appears. It's even present at 60FPS, although quieter.
In Heaven - when I end the benchmark and hit the Credits screen, it lets out a super high-pitched tone after which it goes completely silent when the bench completely shuts down.

I've also noticed that when I play a YouTube/Twitch video, the whine is also present, albeit much quieter than in games and Heaven.
Also, sometimes when I move my mouse, I hear a slight whiny noise.

My current PSU is a Chieftec CTG650, so that's my second suspect.
It's only temporary, I've had it for 4 years now (result of an RMA, I bought another PSU in the meantime so I've never used it) but I've opened it for the first time when I plugged it into my new PC.

Could it be because of the PSU? Because it's very strange to me that I can hear slight 'whinezees' while moving my mouse or playing a YT video.
Any chances to mitigate the issue? Burning the card, OCing it like a maniac?

NaranJust

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Thank you for quick answers!

I've just ordered a Seasonic Focus GX 850, since they don't have Corsair RM750x right now (that was my ultimate choice, but hey).

Is Focus GX good?

shiriken

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
Coil whine is an industry wide known issue and can happen with certain hardware combos. While it can be annoying performance is not affected. Try the card in another system to see if it exhibits the same issue.