Question its not working

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
hi,

i bought 1080ti card 6 months ago not gaming just 3d work temps where normal like around 36 to 38 nothing alarming and the whole computer was getting dusted so i ripped apart everything including 1080ti to clean and change thermal paste. Now when i put them back the 1080ti is not working no led logo lights no fans working but on the top of the back plate there is this warm hot feel. Changed to different slot still noting and the motherboard is just detecting saying that its nvidia card but no problematic post are shown by motherboard.

i dont understand this the 1080ti dosent work but it heats up and no display also.

plz help

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
Presuming that "ripped apart" is only an expression...

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What thermal paste did you use?

Does the motherboard's integrated GPU work?

More information is needed.

thank you for responding

spec 9900k
1080ti
asus strix z390 e
trident 8 x2
ssd seagate barracuda
win 10 pro

thermal arctic mx 4

about onboard graphic there is this new problem where even if i use onboard graphic or my 1080ti when i start my computer it shows asus logo just like normal motherboard but from there it automaticaly goes to uefi or bios screen it doesn't go to windows and on my strix z390 e the post are led lights like for ex vga , boot all have different lights if one particular thing doesn't work it leds up in my case boot

i cheacked the ssd cable and everything its all perfect but when i went to bios and checked in boot section the ssd model is not visiable

and about the graphic card i was reading all other peoples problem who have simlar problem to mine but their graphic card was running but no display mine is like a dead body but with heat when i start the computer.but with other peoples graphic problem was that they put more than medium amount of thermal paste and i think i did the same

i dont knw
i am confused

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
try booting in safe mode by pushing f8 before boot logo and remove the driver in device manger via control panelm some times the driver gets messed up i had that happen to me and i just left it alone after uninstalling the driver let windows run it my card would not work with drivers installed my old card any way i still had good hardware support

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
try booting in safe mode by pushing f8 before boot logo and remove the driver in device manger via control panelm some times the driver gets messed up i had that happen to me and i just left it alone after uninstalling the driver let windows run it my card would not work with drivers installed my old card any way i still had good hardware support

Thanks for responding
well try

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
Drivers update - yes.

Are you able to try to 1080ti in another known working computer or, likewise try another known working GPU in your computer?

Thanks for responding

driver update ya i havent done it
and swapping my 1080ti in another system i will and vice versa from others system to mine

well check and let you know

but dont u think that even if the driver is not updated the graphic card should show sign of life through running fans or led lights mine is like a dead body

i dont knw
will keep posted

Last edited:

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
So when plugged into the 1080 ti directly, you do get the bios display? then what happens?

Does it say It cant find anything to boot to?

Thanks for responding

it just takes me to bios fan control where everthing in fan is dectected and running as it should but it doesnt say anything on boot or any disturbing problem message either
so from there i just save and exit that should normaly start and boot up the system but mine doesn't it just goes back to the bios again

from here any one will see wheather the motherboard is posting and mine does but in my strix z390e model every post has led light like i mentioned above where the boot is led i guess there is something that i dont knw and dont no how to explain or understand

this are the symptoms i am having after a deep cleaing
i will try booting in safe mode

will keep posted

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Thanks for responding

it just takes me to bios fan control where everthing in fan is dectected and running as it should but it doesnt say anything on boot or any disturbing problem message either
so from there i just save and exit that should normaly start and boot up the system but mine doesn't it just goes back to the bios again

from here any one will see wheather the motherboard is posting and mine does but in my strix z390e model every post has led light like i mentioned above where the boot is led i guess there is something that i dont knw and dont no how to explain or understand

this are the symptoms i am having after a deep cleaing
i will try booting in safe mode

will keep posted

honestly doesnt sound like an issue with the graphics card, its sounds more like the SSD/HDD isnt plugged in (either power or data cable), or its plugged in to a different port than before so it doesnt know where to boot from.

Check in the bios that your drive(s) are showing up, and the boot order is correct.

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
honestly doesnt sound like an issue with the graphics card, its sounds more like the SSD/HDD isnt plugged in (either power or data cable), or its plugged in to a different port than before so it doesnt know where to boot from.

Check in the bios that your drive(s) are showing up, and the boot order is correct.

Thanks for responding

will check but even if its the boot problem my graphic card fans and brand logo doesn't work but there is this warm hot feel on my back plate why is that

i guess when i solve the boot problem and get into windows we can make decision on whats happening

anyway will check and post the updates

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Thanks for responding

will check but even if its the boot problem my graphic card fans and brand logo doesn't work but there is this warm hot feel on my back plate why is that

i guess when i solve the boot problem and get into windows we can make decision on whats happening

anyway will check and post the updates

Its normal for modern graphics cards to not turn the fans on until it hits 60'c GPU temp. Its also normal for the backplate to feel warm, even if theres not much load.

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
hi guys
this is for everyone

sorry for wasting your time it was totally my mistake on both boot and graphic card problem

in boot i forgot to connect sata power and in graphic card led lights and fan plugs where not seated properly on there headers ...
.... yah i did that .........

i swear this is not my first time building or assembling a pc, i guess i was not 100% there at that time

anyway thanks for your support and help and thanks to TomsHardware website

Thank you guys
wish you best of luck in your life

Reactions: RobCrezz