• Good

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
As we predicted, Dell has bought Alienware. What's your thoughts?
Here: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/25/opinion_low_down_on_dellienware/

Good move for Dell. Now they can use amd cpus in Alienware systems without violating their agreement with Intel, and still get the best prices on cpus. Alienware is overpriced anyway. I'd still rather build my own.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Good move for Dell. Now they can use amd cpus in Alienware systems without violating their agreement with Intel, and still get the best prices on cpus. Alienware is overpriced anyway. I'd still rather build my own.
Agreed.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Very good!
I hope this will lead to Alienware being able to reduce the prices on their systems which will give me 2 company choices for my Notebook (Dell and Alienware).

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There are two reasons why Dell has bought Alienware, to either expand their market, or fix up their balance sheet. I know a Tomshardware writer says that the latter is unlikely since Alienware only makes 200 million. However, there are a lot of ways that books can be kept where what is really 200 million in assets, gets entered in at a different amount. I, personally, do not think that Dell is buying Alienware for that reason, their desire to get into consumer pc's is a sufficient reason enough. I would just keep it in mind in case a red flag somewhere else gets raised for investing reasons.

Dell is buying Alienware for it's name. Alienware is like the Porche of the computer world. The problem will be Intel's and Dell's agreement to ONLY sell Intel NOT AMD. I think is a good chance the Alienware machines will no longer be gaming machines (no AMD cpus allowed).

RichPLS

Champion
I am speaking without knowing the real facts, but I would suspect Dell will keep the Alien's a separate corporation, and share technology adn production techniques benefiting/expanding from both markets they currently have.

RichPLS

Champion
Not being an attorney, I would suspect the lawsuit dynamics would not change due to acquisition of A/W, they are still separate corporations, not to mention the suit would be prior to the acquisition.