It's Official: SimCity Returns to the PC in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
WHY???? Origin ????
Still... I am looking forward to this title. I have loved a lot of the SimCity titles over the years. Cities XL just doesn't do it.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]crysex[/nom]another boring game... Don't waste your money, investors.[/citation]

Are you 5? Do you have any idea the importance of SimCity in the gaming world?

G

Can not wait! I still play simcity 4 :D

If this takes SimCity back to the days it was great, then I might like EA again...maybe. They still lack quality over quantity.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]WHY???? Origin ????Still... I am looking forward to this title. I have loved a lot of the SimCity titles over the years. Cities XL just doesn't do it.[/citation]
You are absolutely right! Didn’t like Cities XL.
Hope this game is more complex than Cities XL, like older SimCity.
Please don’t ruin the game but dedicating more than 10% of your time designing the multiplayer options!
PS: Nothing like having your residential area destroyed by Godzilla!! Die business man!! DIE!

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
This was the reason for computers! Simulators...
Flight Sim used to be a reason for wanting (possibly forcing) to upgrade hardware

Sim City is worth the effort as well.

G

I still have the original Sim City 2000 with the large 100 page manual trying to explain how each unit works. I got bored of the game a year later after destroying a city repeatedly with every disaster scenario at the same time, and killing my 3.0ghz Pentium 4.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
So since this is EA / Origin, expect several conflicting and mutually exclusive pre-order bonuses, expect Day 1 DLC offers, expect content withheld from you unless you pay more (even though it's on the disc), expect a collector's edition, expect promotional content that will only be available in some regions, expect tie in products like art books and mobile games you'll need to buy to get in-game content for the PC, expect to be nickeled and dimed every couple months for years to come, and expect to NEVER actually have the whole game until you've been bled dry.

alvinyang

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Oh yeah. Finally, they are rebooting the great classic game. Hopefully, they'll make it like Simcity 4 and not try to make it "easier" for everyone like what they did with the Simcity Societies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I want to be excited for this. I've been a huge Sim City fan. I'm not sure if I like 3000 Unlimited or 4 better. 3000 felt like a more rewarding game that did a better job of simulating a city within the confines of the map. 4 was way too focused on region play and exploiting borders despite its wealth of things to build particularly in transportation. 2000 was great too and difficult compared to the others.

My problem is that EA and Maxis tend to see Sim games as toys these days. I don't think they really understand what it means to be a simulator game anymore. I remember getting all excited for Spore and then being completely disappointed by what they kicked out the back of the truck. I can see they may be picking up bad ideas from Socities and putting them in 5 with the way buildings can be plopped down like Monopoly houses and hotels. I don't want to plop down a high-rise residential tower and babysit the inhabitants. I do want to help them get to and from work, create tourist attractions, control pollution, and put on events like parades and grand prix. I want to decide where to place a mega mall, military base, and expensive bridge. I don't want to put a cartoon balloon factory in the heart of my city to keep people happy, but I would be open to finding a home for an amusement park.

I hope Maxis visits Simtropolis, the Network Add-on Mod, and other fan sites to see the amazing things people have created. Then I want that stuff implemented into the game. People are creating great stuff for Sim City 4 even to this day. Ground light rail, sunken highways, arbitrary-size plazas, and so many other things have been added to the game. I just hope Maxis doesn't screw this up like I fear they will.

Now where is Roller Coaster Tycoon 4?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I am very upset that SC4 wasn't mentioned in the article. Cities XL tried to do the MMO thing unsuccessfully, it ended up causing Monte Cristo, the developer and publisher, to shut down. I'm skeptical if the new SC game will just like SimCity Societies and Creator, both games which gave the hardcore fans the finger and unsuccessfully attempted to build a new fan base.

The plopping thing in SCS was an insult to many fans who were used to zoning the area, then making it favorable for a certain type of development, and watching buildings grow. Many of them want to manage a city like RL, not play a society version of the Sims!

Hope they polish the engine... CitiesXL uses only 1 core and has enough memory leaks to saturate more than 3GB of RAM. More than 700k citizens and it's a friggin ppt.

I know SimCity is going to be good, but just have to let them know this! It's not all about shiny!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.