[SOLVED] It's only allowing me to port forward one of two ports at once, trying to get an open NAT type, and other issues.

Dec 30, 2021
Hello, I'm trying to get an open NAT type for Call of Duty: Black Ops III on PC. I've tried turning UPNP on, tried putting my network on DMZ, and nothing has worked. I even rebooted my router. So I had to resort to port forwarding.

I have an ARRIS TG1672.

But I have a couple questions and a couple issues:

1. There is a port forwarding and port triggering tab, should I put the ports in both tabs?
  2. When port forwarding it asks for an inbound port but no outbound port, instead it asks for a local port. (So basically it asks for an inbound port, local port, and my IPv4) Should there be an outbound port?
  3. Should I keep DMZ and UPNP off when I'm trying to port forward specific ports?

Still, I tried port forwarding. I have an issue though, when I try to port forward the ports 27014-27050 (TCP) and 27000-27031 (UDP), it doesn't let me have both port forwarded at once. What I mean by this is that, for example, I port forward 27000-27031 and then I also want to port forward 27014-27050, I'm able to port forward the first port correctly, but when I try to port forward the second one, it says "Invalid range of ports." The same happens vice-versa: I try to port forward 27014-27050 and then it gives me an invalid port range error when I try to port forward 27000-27031. I have tried factory resetting my router, but that didn't work sadly. The ports required for Black Ops 3 are down below:

TCP Ports:
3074, 27014-27050
UDP:
3478, 4379-4380, 27000-27031, 27036

Solution
Yes that would likely work if the ISP offers it.

Part of the confusing is most people do not need a "static" ip to get a public IP. Many people are giving a "dynamic" public IP. They have the actual public IP assigned to them but if they would say leave their modem powered off over night they might get a different one when they turned the modem back on.

Because it might change it can make it hard for example to be 100% sure you could get remote access to your home network when you are away. This is why ISP sell "static" ip. There are a number of tricks people use like DYDNS to use a public IP that might change rather than pay the ISP.

In your case you currently are being given a private IP address that can not leave...
So why do you think you need open NAT for that game. From what I know call of duty does not use private servers. You only need to port forward when YOU are running the server. There are some console games that where one of players must act as the server.

Most shooter games use central servers provided by the game company. Other games you should have no issue playing unless you want to be the host. That is why UPNP exist.

There is a lot of misinformation on gaming sites. Many have lists of ports but these are only required to not be blocked by the firewall. Many end users think this means it must be port forwarded but this is for a outgoing port in most case not incoming.

Dec 30, 2021
Since I have a strict NAT, I cannot play with a friend that has moderate NAT. If I had an Open NAT then I'd be able to host a game for me and him to play, only us. Also, an open NAT allows me to find public lobbies easier. The reason why I'm attempting to port forward is because I've tried to enable UPNP and adding my pc to the DMZ but none of those have worked.

It's also stated in the network settings in Call of Duty: Black ops III that port forwarding is also a method of getting an open NAT. I attempted to use the correct ports taken from the official activision website (https://support.activision.com/cont...ticles/ports-used-for-call-of-duty-games.html) for the correct platform, but as stated in my post above, it only allows me to port forward one of two ports at once, and gives me an error when I try to port forward a second one.

That is strange I thought there were already lots of cheaters on call of duty with private servers you would think that become a massive issue.

In any case go back and get DMZ working. That is always the simplest to get configured, be nice if all routers used the same screens for port forwarding so someone could write up clear instructions.

Do you have a seperate modem/router. Could you plug into the modem and see if it works when the PC directly gets the public IP. If that doesn't work it has to be something very strange espeically if you disable the firewall. Note running connected to the modem with the firewall disabled is a very bad idea it is something only to test.

Maybe we go to the start. Are you sure you have a public IP. Check that the IP you see in the router WAN status is the same as you see on a site like whatsmyip.

Dec 30, 2021
When I go to the DMZ tab in my network panel, it shows enable DMZ, and if I enable it, it displays my WAN IP and asks for my Private IP. The WAN IP is different from the public IP shown on whatsmyip.org. Also, in the WAN Setup tab in my panel, it just shows DHCP and Static IP, and configurations for it.

If the wan IP is different from the public IP then it is game over.

That means there is another router in the ISP network doing NAT. You would have to put port forwarding rules in that router which of course you can't do.

You only hope would be to contact the ISP and see if they offer public addresses that they directly assign to your router. Some charge extra for it, other give it away for free and some their technology will not allow it. There is a shortage of IP addresses and most people do not need a public IP so it is becoming more common
for the carriers to share them between multiple customers.

Dec 30, 2021
Wait, I cannot use DMZ because my WAN IP and Public IP are different, right? But can I still do normal port forwards? Also, should UPNP be working regardless of my issue with my WAN IP and Public IP? Since UPNP isn't working for me.

No. All those are just a much more detailed form of the dmz command. All the DMZ command does is map all the ports from the WAN ip to your internal IP. Those other command map just some specific ports to your internal IP.

The only way this works is if the public IP is actually given to your router on the wan port. Your wan IP must be the public IP for this to work.

"YOU" do not actually have a public IP, you likely share it with many other users of your ISP.

Dec 30, 2021
Although DMZ wont work, shouldnt I be able to port-forward the ports that Treyarch/Activision servers use to get an open NAT? I should be able to port forward on a shared IP.

Your really don't seem to understand what port forwarding actually does.

A port forward rule says when traffic comes into port yyyy on the wan port map it to port yyyy on some internal machine.

So someone sends traffic to the public IP on port yyyy. This goes to the ISP router that currently own the public IP. It of course does not have any port forwarding rules so it discards the traffic. So even though you might have port forwarding setup the traffic is discarded before it ever gets to your router.

Like I said it is game over for any form of port forwarding when you do not have a public IP assigned to your router wan port. Your only hope is to find a way to get a public IP.

Yes that would likely work if the ISP offers it.

Part of the confusing is most people do not need a "static" ip to get a public IP. Many people are giving a "dynamic" public IP. They have the actual public IP assigned to them but if they would say leave their modem powered off over night they might get a different one when they turned the modem back on.

Because it might change it can make it hard for example to be 100% sure you could get remote access to your home network when you are away. This is why ISP sell "static" ip. There are a number of tricks people use like DYDNS to use a public IP that might change rather than pay the ISP.

In your case you currently are being given a private IP address that can not leave your ISP network without being translated by their NAT router. It would be really stupid to pay for a static private IP so I am sure if you buy a static IP you will get a fixed public one.

This is all because most people don't actually need a public IP to themselves. It is really only people running some kind a service,ie like hosting games. Because there is a shortage of public IP addresses some ISP will only give them to people who pay extra.

I guess it all depends on how important it is to you to host private games. I did not even know they did that for call of duty, most stuff I have seen run on central servers.

Solution