[SOLVED] Its time to upgrade my 7 year old pc, What would you recommend ?

McFluffyCorn

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
These are my current specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
GPU: AMD Radeon 7970 GHz Edition
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
Power Supply: 750 Watt SuperFlow Golden Green Pro
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
SSD: Samsung 840 Basic Series
HDD: Western Digital 2TB Green

My budget is around 1000€

This my current idea:

GPU:
8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ Special Edition
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8x 3.60GHz So.AM4 BOX
Ram: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
Motherboard: ?

What do you guys think? Should I upgrade anything else and what motherboard would you recommend?

I appreciate any feedback and stay healthy !

Solution
Your plan is good and reasonable.
What kinds of games do you play?
A balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card.

If you favor fast action games, I might shift more of the budget to the graphics card at the expense of the cpu,.
If you favor multiplayer games with many participants keep the 3700 with many threads.
Ryzen does not OC well so do not count on much from that.

Ryzen depends on fast ram, I might look at faster than 3200 speed depending on what your motherboard supports.

I have no opinion on motherboards.
In general, I would go with the latest gen chipset.
A better heatsink if you want to OC the CPU. Perhaps a larger NVMe SSD depending on the capacity of your current SSD. If the plan is the next gen console game ports. Both consoles will be using high speed NVMe SSD. I'd expect games being designed to make use of SSD.

Are you sure the parts you intend to use will work together , see if you can find a pc builder site that will let you put in what you want your end product spec to be , at the end the build my pc section should tell you if all your parts are compatable.

I note how much you have to spend but I would be very careful especially when you say your current build is 7 years old , upgrading a 7 year old pc can turn out to be very expensive because until you start swapping parts you don't know how much money you need or what items will work together.

Why not spend the money on a new set up , this is what I did 6 years ago , I rebooted my old pc to never used state so that it had hardly anything on it , I then got a new games rig , I use the old rig for downloads and as a test rig and if something does not work right I do not put it on my new set up.

Your plan is good and reasonable.
What kinds of games do you play?
A balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card.

If you favor fast action games, I might shift more of the budget to the graphics card at the expense of the cpu,.
If you favor multiplayer games with many participants keep the 3700 with many threads.
Ryzen does not OC well so do not count on much from that.

Ryzen depends on fast ram, I might look at faster than 3200 speed depending on what your motherboard supports.

I have no opinion on motherboards.
In general, I would go with the latest gen chipset.

Solution