[SOLVED] It's worse than I thought. My 1st Build's CPU is running HOT! Like, 100c hot.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
SO much regret. As deep as I am in now I could have bought a prebuilt with better specs. Oh well, I'm learning a lot.

I got the basics together; it posted, unlicensed (let's not go there) WIN10Home loaded, BIOS updated, Main drivers installed.
Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hL79vW

I installed GeForce Experience, NVIDIA Control Panel, Steam and Origin and started Playing SWBF2. After a while I noticed the exhaust was pretty hot so I installed Open Hardware Monitor and Holy Heart Attack! CPU Package 103.5c and CPU CCD #1 102.3c! (I have no idea what those really even mean) I'm assuming that's too hot.

I've OC'd nothing except my RAM to it's specs. This morning I played around with the fan settings in the BIOS and really boosted them. It's helped a little but not much. Another quick session of SWBF2 ran it in the 90's, it spiked over 100 a few times. Just windows, chrome and OHM running right now, CPU total load under 3% and it's running at 70c.

Obviously I need more fans at least. I thought that only the 2 included case fans may run a little warm but with no OCing and it being a fairly mild system, as I understand it, it didn't expect it to run that hot.

I don't think this is an airflow issue. It also seems I've done something wrong or not done something right.

I read some articles and forum posts about voltages and the Ryzen 3600 but I didn't understand them. You'll really have to talk to me like I'm stupid. I'm in over my head. The Youtube videos make it look easy.

Any ideas on where to start, or what I can tell you to help you help me?

I'd really appreciate it. It would be a real bummer if I blew this build.

Solution
Maybe my next build and hopefully a long time from now I can look at liquid. Knowing what I know now, I'll probably always overshoot cooling in the future. I've learned my lesson.

The Fractal Design G isn't going to win awards for case flow. In fact, I'm kind of in a conundrum now about fan placement. I have an extra and can't decide where to put it in or if I even should. I was going to put it in the bottom like this:
MUyVzjd.jpg

But my PSU is too big, it won't fit.

So I have it like this:
V2rj156.jpg

I took the screen out of the top back vent (blowing out) and doubled the screens on the top front vent to hopefully create a little resistance to air flow. I thought of...
That's telling. It almost hit 39c. Now of course I can't install an evaporative cooler in my case. I can't come close to it.
But if I can get it in the 80s with my upcoming cooling solution that's more in line with the temps ...
No, I guess you can't ship it with an evap cooler in it hahah But that it's responding so well to it blowing on it certainly shows that cooling is an issue. I definitely hope a better heatsink works out better for you as it really looks like you have a great CPU from looking at the HWinfo reports.

Reactions: PurpleChange

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Yes it is, sorry I linked the wrong mobo, didn't read the "MAX" in your pcpartpicker list
I don't think it makes much difference other than the MAX is Ryzen 3000 ready, don't have to flash the BIOS.

Still wondering what else you see that makes it seem that the BIOS wasn't updated?

Still this?
  • CPU Core Power= 83.571Watts
  • CPU + SOC Power = 101.071Watts

No, clear CMOS wont clean chipset drivers, the chipset drivers are installed over Windows.

But, I been thinking, that BIOS you got there is AGESA 1.0.0.5, which is a very new micro code that was released by AMD a few days ago... so Im wondering, could it be that MSI Firmware (which contain the micro code) is kinda bugged?

Maybe the micro code is actually fine, and MSI implementation have some issue. I don't know.

Maybe someone else could share some info about the AGESA 1.0.0.5 in other motherboards.

If you know how to update a BIOS, and you feel confident about it, it would not hurt to try and go back to the previous version. I believe is the 7B86vH5 one.

One important thing to remember: whenever you update any BIOS, is always advisable to first go to the BIOS, load the default/optimal settings, "Save the Changes and Exit", let it go to Windows, then restart the PC, and finally go back to BIOS and update it.

I don't know, this is the last thing I can think about it. At this point Im out of ideas.

If you're not sure how to update a BIOS please don't do it. Better have a system thats runs a little hot than having a motherboard that does not boot. Its up to you!

Maybe someone else could share some info about the AGESA 1.0.0.5 in other motherboards.

The most I've found is 1005 is a bit of a clean up in that it helps with PCIe compatibility and improves compatibility with DIMMS that use Micron DRAM chips. To my knowledge, only MSI has released it in BIOS updates and only on their MAX (X470 and B450) board line. I think it also supports 3100x and 3300x CPU's but not seen it explicitly said.

MSI implementation in BIOS definitely does have some issues, I've an MSI B450 Mortar and there are several things my board does that's wonky when I read about how Gigabyte and Asus boards work. For instance, I can get a really nice PBO improvement using the 'EDC=10' bug and an Asus board can't. But by the same token, they get better performance with PBO without resorting to it.

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
No, clear CMOS wont clean chipset drivers, the chipset drivers are installed over Windows.

But, I been thinking, that BIOS you got there is AGESA 1.0.0.5, which is a very new micro code that was released by AMD a few days ago... so Im wondering, could it be that MSI Firmware (which contain the micro code) is kinda bugged?

Maybe the micro code is actually fine, and MSI implementation have some issue. I don't know.

If you know how to update a BIOS, and you feel confident about it, it would not hurt to try and go back to the previous version. I believe is the 7B86vH5 one.

One important thing to remember: whenever you update any BIOS, is always advisable to first go to the BIOS, load the default/optimal settings, "Save the Changes and Exit", let it go to Windows, then restart the PC, and finally go back to BIOS and update it.

I don't know, this is the last thing I can think about it. At this point Im out of ideas.

If you're not sure how to update a BIOS please don't do it. Better have a system thats runs a little hot than having a motherboard that does not boot. Its up to you!

I'll have to do some research and think about that. I'm not confident at all messing with BIOS. I was doing good to get it up to date as is and I was very carefully following three youtube videos while I did it.

Don't sweat it. Let's see what AMD has to say. I'll let you guys know.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In the bios/Ryzen Master, there should be 3 settings for PBO
PPT : 88w
TDC : 60A
EDC : 90A
Since you have a 65w cpu. Your power used should be something close to 88w, not 104w, and thats what's got RodroX on edge, as the voltage + current running through the VRM's and getting delivered to that cpu is high. Yes, it's running really well, just too well, like an athlete on steroids.

You'll find the MSI version of Auto OC is in advanced mode, it's the PBO Enhanced Mode 1/2/3/4, which will raise the levels of PBO limits, but is upto the cpu whether it'll actually boost that high or not.

Personally, it sounds like the regular boost is trying to push limits of the cpu, without consideration of restrictions. I would try enable PBO, as that has set limits, but disable the Enhanced mode or set it at 1, which is a 100MHz boost.

Be like that athlete on steroids, but trying to run a 100yrd dash wearing combat boots.

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Man, I don't want to be an athlete! I want to be on a weekend softball league and still have knees that work when I'm 60.
Ok, will try that and report back.

AMD and AMD support forums are still silent on this. There are multitudes of threads on this issue in the processor section. Most have gone unanswered. Those that have are told to reinstall their cooler, once they've done that... silence. At least I know it's not just me.

And you guys are awesome.

Man, I don't want to be an athlete! I want to be on a weekend softball league and still have knees that work when I'm 60.
Ok, will try that and report back.

AMD and AMD support forums are still silent on this. There are multitudes of threads on this issue in the processor section. Most have gone unanswered. Those that have are told to reinstall their cooler, once they've done that... silence. At least I know it's not just me.

And you guys are awesome.

Yeah, AMD that why I said "good luck", and is not the only one with a crappy forum, Gigabyte was the same for me.

Well if you manage to fix it let us know, I still believe this could be a BIOS bug.
We will see.

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Yeah, AMD that why I said "good luck", and is not the only one with a crappy forum, Gigabyte was the same for me.

Well if you manage to fix it let us know, I still believe this could be a BIOS bug.
We will see.

Hopefully starting a ticket will get me someone actually with AMD. I would think they'd throw their best troubleshooting at me before they issue an RMA.

I don't doubt you, I just don't know how to implement your notions.

Karadjgne's explanations of your thoughts helped, I think. I think I see more clearly what you are saying. I'm just trying to catch up to you.

I saw a handful of videos last night talking about lowering voltage on these processors to lower temps (and actually increasing performance?) and some OCing and getting lower temps? I didn't get half of it, but a lot of people seem to be finding some relief in doing this? Will research more.

But a lot of these videos seem a little outdated and it was assumed that the last BIOS updates were supposed to fix this? Hmm.

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Since you have a 65w cpu. Your power used should be something close to 88w, not 104w, and thats what's got RodroX on edge, as the voltage + current running through the VRM's and getting delivered to that cpu is high. Yes, it's running really well, just too well, like an athlete on steroids.

You'll find the MSI version of Auto OC is in advanced mode, it's the PBO Enhanced Mode 1/2/3/4, which will raise the levels of PBO limits, but is upto the cpu whether it'll actually boost that high or not.

Personally, it sounds like the regular boost is trying to push limits of the cpu, without consideration of restrictions. I would try enable PBO, as that has set limits, but disable the Enhanced mode or set it at 1, which is a 100MHz boost.

Be like that athlete on steroids, but trying to run a 100yrd dash wearing combat boots.
OK, I set that to Enhanced Mode 1. I couldn't find an option to just disable enhanced mode. My options under Advanced->OC->PBO are:
Auto
Disabled
Enabled
Enhanced Mode 1 (I chose this)
EM 2
EM 3
EM 4
Eco Mode (45w)
Advanced

Advanced give the following options: PBO Limits
PBO Scalar Control
Max CPU Boost Clock Override
Platform Thermal Throttle Limit
ALL of those are set to "Auto"
Yeah, couldn't find an option to enable PBO and disable Enahanced. Had to choose Mode 1. Unless I missed something, which is always likely.

Will post results asap. I have a few other things going on today.

Thanks, as always.

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020

Case closed (2 front fans), ambient temp: 69F, 1 round SWBF2
7jpZsdt.png

That may be the lowest gaming temp I've posted with the case closed. With the cooling options in play, that could be acceptable. All I see is temp. How does the voltages and power stuff look to you guys? Should I do it again in Ryzen Master? Let me do it again.

vDAvD4z.png

I guess this is still a problem?
RZxRMxh.png
This is a problem, yes. And I think I see why: I believe you've got PBO turned on and limits pumped way up.

Ryzen 3600 is a 65W TDP processor with TDC and EDC limits of 60A and 90A respectively and PPT limits of 88W. But the Ryzenmaster screen-rip posted is showing set limits of 114W and 168A for TDC/EDC respectively and an eye popping 1000W for PPT. It's obvious from the dials for each of those parameters. The limits shown should match the processors design limits unless opened up by PBO settings, this means something has opened up those limiters.

So most likely you've managed to enable PBO either in BIOS or in Ryzenmaster and it's running a lot hotter for it. You've quite possibly also increased the maximum boost clock limit too, which doesn't really boost the CPU clock speed but further increases operating temperature a lot.

Disable all those and see what happens. Either that or get yourself much better cooling or you'll degrade your processor to an early grave. Officially, you're overclocking and even though it's the safest way if you cool it properly it still voids warranty.

Either that or look a little further down in the PBO menu and set a maximum processor temperature of 85C or 90C max. That will help a lot.

Last edited:

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
This is a problem, yes. And I think I see why: I believe you've got PBO turned on and limits pumped way up.

Ryzen 3600 is a 65W TDP processor with TDC and EDC limits of 60A and 90A respectively and PPT limits of 88W. But the Ryzenmaster screen-rip posted is showing set limits of 114W and 168A for TDC/EDC respectively and an eye popping 1000W for PPT. It's obvious from the dials for each of those parameters. The limits shown should match the processors design limits unless opened up by PBO settings, this means something has opened up those limiters.

So most likely you've managed to enable PBO either in BIOS or in Ryzenmaster and it's running a lot hotter for it. You've quite possibly also increased the maximum boost clock limit too, which doesn't really boost the CPU clock speed but further increases operating temperature a lot.

Disable all those and see what happens. Either that or get yourself much better cooling or you'll degrade your processor to an early grave. Officially, you're overclocking and even though it's the safest way if you cool it properly it still voids warranty.

Either that or look a little further down in the PBO menu and set a maximum processor temperature of 85C or 90C max. That will help a lot.

<sigh>

I've written at least seven responses to this and deleted. I don't know how to respond to it. I've done only and exactly as instructed in this thread.

"Disable all those" Could you elaborate?

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
PBO has been disabled since Saturday until Karadjgne suggested trying PBO Enhanced 1 this morning.

I know you guys are just trying to help and I greatly appreciate it. But I feel like I'm going around in circles trying to fix something that came from the manufacturer broken. It's their chip and their chipset drivers. Why am I doing this? Why am I being told that I need to void my warranty for the product to work correctly? I know none of you can answer that. Just venting.

At what point does someone RMA a product? Is it the CPU or the mobo that needs to go back?

Last edited:
PBO has been disabled since Saturday until Karadjgne suggested trying PBO Enhanced 1 this morning.

I know you guys are just trying to help and I greatly appreciate it. But I feel like I'm going around in circles trying to fix something that came from the manufacturer broken. It's their chip and their chipset drivers. Why am I doing this? Why am I being told that I need to void my warranty for the product to work correctly? I know none of you can answer that. Just venting.

At what point does someone RMA a product? Is it the CPU or the mobo that needs to go back?
Neither should go back.

You might be misunderstanding a bit, you should not be getting frustrated...you should be getting a better after market cooler as that's what your chip wants. At light loads it's temperature is right in line with a 3600 on stock cooling and it appears to be performing quite well. I think whatever your game is doing it's a ball-buster and putting an extremely heavy load on it. So by all means give it better cooling, especially since opening the case and putting that evap cooler fan on it pull temps down to in-line with a 3600 under stock cooler in an extremely heavy processing load.

Karadjgne might have suggested trying PBO Enhanced, but did he say to increase settings for PPT, EDC and TDC? to maximum? Those don't increase to the limits shown (especially PPT=1000W) unless something set it there. And actually, until you get a better cooler I'd leave PBO disabled and probably set that maximum temperature to 90C at most.

Last edited:

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Neither should go back.

You might be misunderstanding a bit, you should not be getting frustrated...you should be getting a better after market cooler as that's what your chip wants. At light loads it's temperature is right in line with a 3600 on stock cooling and it appears to be performing quite well. I think whatever your game is doing it's a ball-buster and putting an extremely heavy load on it. So by all means give it better cooling.

Karadjgne might have suggested trying PBO Enhanced, but did he say to increase settings for PPT, EDC and TDC? to maximum? Those don't increase to the limits shown (especially PPT=1000W) unless something set it there.
No, not quite. He suggested the following: "I would try enable PBO, as that has set limits, but disable the Enhanced mode or set it at 1, which is a 100MHz boost."

My response: "
OK, I set that to Enhanced Mode 1. I couldn't find an option to just disable enhanced mode. My options under Advanced->OC->PBO are:
Auto
Disabled
Enabled
EM 2
EM 3
EM 4
Eco Mode (45w)
Advanced

PBO Scalar Control
Yeah, couldn't find an option to enable PBO and disable Enahanced. Had to choose Mode 1. Unless I missed something, which is always likely."

It's a 3 year old game, I want to play AAA. This rig should do that at 1080p -easy. Could it be AEOrigin? What else could I do to test the PC other than playing a game? Let's rule the game out. I've seen mentions of stress test software. Can someone recommend one?

I showed a picture of what is cooling the PC at the moment. If that doesn't cool it, no internal cooling system will.

I'm very concerned about my mobo sending that much power to my CPU or my CPU requesting that much power from my mobo, whichever it is. Now that I understand it (vaguely) I'm very focused on getting that fixed. I just really, really don't how they got that way. The fact that I have NO recollection or record of making such changes and the fact that it can't happen on it's own yet it has, has me triply concerned.

I know I'm getting testy. I'm confused and exasperated. And I'm experiencing deep regret for trying this and fear that there is no solution or that there is one but I will never find it.

I'm terribly afraid that I just purchased a $1200 machine that has turned into a $1500 paperweight. I've been at this for a solid week, 18 hours a day as a highly disabled person and I'm still where I started. AMD is blowing me off, the AMD "enthusiasts" forum is a gaggle of morons. You guys are trying so hard and I'm just BLECH.

How do I lower these settings, PPT, EDC and TDC? I can't find them in my BIOS. And what should I set them to if I can find them?

No, not quite. He suggested the following: "I would try enable PBO, as that has set limits, but disable the Enhanced mode or set it at 1, which is a 100MHz boost."

My response: "
Auto
Disabled
Enabled
EM 2
EM 3
EM 4
Eco Mode (45w)
Advanced

PBO Scalar Control
Yeah, couldn't find an option to enable PBO and disable Enahanced. Had to choose Mode 1. Unless I missed something, which is always likely."

It's a 3 year old game, I want to play AAA. This rig should do that at 1080p -easy. Could it be AEOrigin? What else could I do to test the PC other than playing a game? Let's rule the game out. I've seen mentions of stress test software. Can someone recommend one?

I showed a picture of what is cooling the PC at the moment. If that doesn't cool it, no internal cooling system will.

I'm very concerned about my mobo sending that much power to my CPU or my CPU requesting that much power from my mobo, whichever it is. Now that I understand it (vaguely) I'm very focused on getting that fixed. I just really, really don't how they got that way. The fact that I have NO recollection or record of making such changes and the fact that it can't happen on it's own yet it has, has me triply concerned.

I know I'm getting testy. I'm confused and exasperated. And I'm experiencing deep regret for trying this and fear that there is no solution or that there is one but I will never find it.

I'm terribly afraid that I just purchased a $1200 machine that has turned into a $1500 paperweight. I've been at this for a solid week, 18 hours a day as a highly disabled person and I'm still where I started. AMD is blowing me off, the AMD "enthusiasts" forum is a gaggle of morons. You guys are trying so hard and I'm just BLECH.

How do I lower these settings, PPT, EDC and TDC? I can't find them in my BIOS. And what should I set them to if I can find them?
Wow...your Gaming Plus has different PBO options as compared to my Mortar. I hate MSI.
It's probably the 'Enhanced Mode 1' that moved all the limiters to the max.

Under the "Advanced->OC->PBO", set it to AUTO.

Then further down, where it says "Platform Thermal Limit" set that to 90C MAXIMUM, 85C preferred.

With the platform thermal limit in place it won't overheat to above that temperature. Right now, with the stock cooler, it's important. Once you get a better aftermarket cooler on there it won't matter because it will probably top out in the mid-70C range then.

Get CPUz. On the BENCH tab there's a stress test. Run that, with the various AVX options. Simple, easy. If anyone recommends Prime95 don't bother with it. Not needed unless you're trying to overclock to the limits of stability and eek maximum performance with no regard to long life.

EDIT: and btw...something you wrote, that 'if that (the evap cooler) doesn't cool the pc...nothing will' is wrong. It in fact was cooling it! it had temps down to the mid-80's MAX, mid 70's averaging, with (sub-optimal settings in the game, whatever that means) which is perfectly normal for a 3600 under a stock cooler with heavy processing load! It was working, so that suggests all you need is to improve CPU cooling and you're there.

Last edited:

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Wow...your Gaming Plus has different PBO options as compared to my Mortar. I hate MSI.
It's probably the 'Enhanced Mode 1' that moved all the limiters to the max.

Under the "Advanced->OC->PBO", set it to AUTO.

Then further down, where it says "Platform Thermal Limit" set that to 90C MAXIMUM, 85C preferred.

With the platform thermal limit in place it won't overheat to above that temperature. Right now, with the stock cooler, it's important. Once you get a better aftermarket cooler on there it won't matter because it will probably top out in the mid-70C range then.

Get CPUz. On the BENCH tab there's a stress test. Run that, with the various AVX options. Simple, easy. If anyone recommends Prime95 don't bother with it. Not needed unless you're trying to overclock to the limits of stability and eek maximum performance with no regard to long life.

EDIT: and btw...something you wrote, that 'if that (the evap cooler) doesn't cool the pc...nothing will' is wrong. It in fact was cooling it! it had temps down to the mid-80's MAX, mid 70's averaging, with (sub-optimal settings in the game, whatever that means) which is perfectly normal for a 3600 under a stock cooler with heavy processing load! It was working, so that suggests all you need is to improve CPU cooling and you're there.

Yes, the evap cooler was indeed cooling it, far better I fear than any fans and Freezer Duo will. That's what I was saying: I believe that installing the new cooler and fans won't come close to what the evap is doing. That shrinks my confidence.

Let me get on those changes. We're not concerned about the PPT, EDC and TDC anymore?

If I managed to mess with those values, somehow, can't I just default all my BIOS settings and reset anything that could have inadvertently occurred while I was attempting to implement the tweaks we've attempted?

Hey, bud. Thanks for sticking it out with me. You're obviously a good guy. And I'm indebted to this forum. How do I contribute to it's continuation? Is there a donation page? I can't contribute much and it will be next month but I won't feel right if I can't give a little back.

Yes, the evap cooler was indeed cooling it, far better I fear than any fans and Freezer Duo will. That's what I was saying: I believe that installing the new cooler and fans won't come close to what the evap is doing. That shrinks my confidence.

Let me get on those changes. We're not concerned about the PPT, EDC and TDC anymore?

If I managed to mess with those values, somehow, can't I just default all my BIOS settings and reset anything that could have inadvertently occurred while I was attempting to implement the tweaks we've attempted?

Hey, bud. Thanks for sticking it out with me. You're obviously a good guy. And I'm indebted to this forum. How do I contribute to it's continuation? Is there a donation page? I can't contribute much and it will be next month but I won't feel right if I can't give a little back.
Yes, we're concerned. But if you move it to AUTO it will return the values to what they should be for your processor. I'm thinking that ENHANCED 1 setting moved them all to those high values.

No need to do a CMOS reset. Just put PBO to AUTO and set that platform thermal limit I told you. That will stop the processor from ever going as high as 95, and 85 should be quite good enough.

I disagree that a better cooler won't do as well as that evap blowing into the case. A big cooler moves the heat out of the processor and into the fin stack lot faster than the stock one does, the evap cooler can't improve that part of it only the shedding of the heat from the fin stack to the air moving through the fins part. And even that's extremely limited because the airflow isn't being efficiently directed the way you have to do it.

Simply put: getting a designed-for-purpose cooler on there is way more efficient, and effective, than brute force ramming air into the case. The only reason for doing it to demonstrate where the deficiency is.

PurpleChange

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Yes, we're concerned. But if you move it to AUTO it will return the values to what they should be for your processor. I'm thinking that ENHANCED 1 setting moved them all to those high values.

No need to do a CMOS reset. Just put PBO to AUTO and set that platform thermal limit I told you. That will stop the processor from ever going as high as 95, and 85 should be quite good enough.

I disagree that a better cooler won't do as well as that evap blowing into the case. A big cooler moves the heat out of the processor and into the fin stack lot faster than the stock one does, the evap cooler can't improve that part of it only the shedding of the heat from the fin stack to the air moving through the fins part. And even that's extremely limited because the airflow isn't being efficiently directed the way you have to do it.

Simply put: getting a designed-for-purpose cooler on there is way more efficient, and effective, than brute force ramming air into the case. The only reason for doing it to demonstrate where the deficiency is.

OK, I'm realizing that things are getting lost in translation. From now on I will post pics of my BIOS because it's difficult to follow instructions or interpret results for another mobo & BIOS.

Platform Thermal Throttle limit didn't have the options to set a max and preferred. It only took two digits, only numbers.
When I choose Advanced to set the Platform Thermal Limit, it defaults the PBO to Enhanced 1.
1tt3z0Y.jpg

here is a shot of voltage settings, maybe it will provide insight? Sorry about the quality.
HVGcTmC.jpg

And this is my exit screen showing changes:
n2n1jGW.jpg

I get the feeling that that isn't what you asked me to do. But it's as close as I was able to get? We can always go back. I'm not doing anything until I get this one confirmed. No rush. I'm chillin'.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've never really been a fan of Arctic, most of their stuff is more blown out of proportion popularity. But gotta say for the price, the 210w Freezer 34 esports Duo is amazing. It'll handle anything you could throw at it with that cpu, even upto the level 4 PBO settings.

The coolers job is to provide enough surface area to dissipate the transfered energy from the heatpipes, it's a miniature evap inside the pc. Having one external might do a respectable job, but it's hardly practical.