[SOLVED] It's worth to activate A-XMP?

Feb 1, 2022
Hi, I recently upgraded my pc with 2 sticks of ram and I want to know, it's okay to activate A-XMP on that specifications:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650S (Super)
SSD: Spcc M.2 SSD 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
RAM: Adata XPG Gammix D10 DDR4 3200Mhz 2x8GB (AX4U32008G16A-DB10)
MBD: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX

Now they are running at 2667Mhz.

Solution
Hi, I recently upgraded my pc with 2 sticks of ram and I want to know, it's okay to activate A-XMP on that specifications:

It is worth trying. First generation Ryzen CPUs can be picky about RAM. Before changing the default, you might want to update your BIOS to ensure you have the best high speed memory support.
Be prepared to run MEMTEST86 overnight to verify stability before you do any important activities.

kanewolf

Titan

It is worth trying. First generation Ryzen CPUs can be picky about RAM. Before changing the default, you might want to update your BIOS to ensure you have the best high speed memory support.
Be prepared to run MEMTEST86 overnight to verify stability before you do any important activities.

Solution
Feb 1, 2022
I'm afraid to update my BIOS because I already did that in the first place and I followed a tutorial too even that I already updated BIOS on my old pc and I knew how to do it, after that my pc was starting but my monitor no and I had to send my pc to guarantee and they put a new motherboard so I'm afraid a little

I'm afraid to update my BIOS because I already did that in the first place and I followed a tutorial too even that I already updated BIOS on my old pc and I knew how to do it, after that my pc was starting but my monitor no and I had to send my pc to guarantee and they put a new motherboard so I'm afraid a little
dont worry, just update the bios to the latest or the latest beta and update the chipset driver from amd website, it should be good.

In fact, my friend's R5 2600 + B450M Steel Legend got the latest bios with AGESA 1.2.0.3c in it and the better memory compability issues update (not listed on the web page). he could do 3200 easy without hassle after the update, before he couldn't.

Reactions: Ruraku

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Goto motherboard website, support, downloads. That's where you'll find the bios files for your particular EXACT motherboard, and also full directions for a couple ways to update the bios. Follow the directions EXACTLY. Bios updates are common place, especially with Ryzen because of ram compatibility updates with Agesa, so it's far better and more reliable than a just a few years ago.

After the update, you can try the A-Xmp, it should work, no guarantees with first gen Ryzen. If it doesn't after several reboots (memory training) the set the A-Xmp and manually change the speed to 2933MHz.

Reactions: Ruraku
Thanks all for helping :) Maybe I will update the bios but still I'm afraid after that incident
You don't really need to run the latest BIOS for 1st gen but whether any update is worth the bother depends on the version you are on right now. A later BIOS may improve memory compatibility some but you're running "on-spec" for your CPU at 2667 so you're fine as far as that goes.

You could go ahead and set a-XMP and see if it works for you at 3200; if not you can always just reset CMOS which is very easy to do. I'm not sure you can on an A320 platform but if your motherboard allows set XMP but manually load a memory clock speed of 2933, the "sweet spot" for 1st gen.

If at some future point you should want to upgrade CPU...to a 3600X for instance...you may very well have to update BIOS then. A 3600X, with it's greatly improved memory controller, will be far very likely to let you use the 3200 speed of your memory with just setting XMP.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022
You don't really need to run the latest BIOS for 1st gen but whether any update is worth the bother depends on the version you are on right now. A later BIOS may improve memory compatibility some but you're running "on-spec" for your CPU at 2667 so you're fine as far as that goes.

You could go ahead and set a-XMP and see if it works for you at 3200; if not you can always just reset CMOS which is very easy to do. I'm not sure you can on an A320 platform but if your motherboard allows set XMP but manually load a memory clock speed of 2933, the "sweet spot" for 1st gen.

If at some future point you should want to upgrade CPU...to a 3600X for instance...you may very well have to update BIOS then. A 3600X, with it's greatly improved memory controller, will be far very likely to let you use the 3200 speed of your memory with just setting XMP.
Thanks, I really want to change the CPU too, but not this year for sure, maybe ryzen 5 2600 or 3600

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS