iTunes Library transfer: Mac to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
I need help bringing my itunes library from my 2010 macbook pro (yosemite) to my pc (win10).

I've already tried doing it through a network transfer and apple's official page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318) on the subject. I couldn't get either to work, and I'd rather not have to go buy a new large flash drive just for the purposes of doing this library transfer.

I already have two external drives that I use for mass storage backup, but neither has been formatted for exFAT and I can't reformat them because they have a bunch of important stuff on them.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I just goofed up the network transfer process and that's why it didn't work. It may be pretty silly, but I think I just need someone to hold my hand and walk me through that.

My destination PC has two storage drives, one 128gb ssd for boot and one 1tb ssd for mass storage. I need my library to exist on the TB mass storage drive, even though of course itunes is on my boot drive (C: ). I know that you can choose the library's location by holding SHIFT and launching itunes, so I think my main problem is the transfer itself.

Any and all help is hugely appreciated, thanks.

Solution
OK... You make the Folder that is to be the destination wherever you need it, then share it to your username with Read/Write permissions. The rest should follow from the Method 1
on your Windows PC, does your user have a password? if not, set one.

Then share the Music folder of your profile (normally c:\users\username\music) with your user.

Use Method 1: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2636421/migrate-your-files-from-a-mac-to-a-pc

Need the PC ip address? Windows10, right click Start, select Command Prompt, type in ipconfig, press enter

Look for the IPv4 Address

Once authenticated, copy and paste the iTunes folder between the computers

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015

Thanks for responding so quickly, I apologize for my lateness (I had an unusually long day at work). Yes, my user on my PC has a password.

When you say "share the Music folder of your profile (normally c:\users\username\music) with your user", does that mean share the music folder on my Mac with my user on my PC? If so, I tried right clicking the folder on my Mac and going to "Share", but the options I get are Mail, Messages, Airdrop, and a bunch of social media options. Do I need to do something else here?

Method 1 on the link you sent me wants me to create and share a folder for the transfer on my desktop, but that's a problem for me because my main drive (C: ) doesn't have enough space for the itunes folder from my Mac. My second drive (M: ) has plenty of space and is where I need the files to live. I know I can move the files from the ideal shared folder (on the desktop) to their permanent location afterwards. Is it possible to share a folder from the second drive so it'll work for this transfer? Please let me know if I'm missing something here.

Thanks for your help.

MrMario

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015

Thank you so much, that did it. Got everything over perfectly, you have the patience of a saint.

Now my plan is to move a bunch of songs to my LG G4. I'm quitting Google Play Music 'cuz it sucks. Any media player apps you wanna suggest on Android? Just asking for my curiosity.

Thanks again!

I've got bother the native Play Music and I use Amazon's Music Player that comes as a part of their Prime Service.

there are a couple of ways to move music onto the phone (I've got the LG V20, a G2, G3, and an Optimus in house) Using the USB is easiest. Plug into the computer and it should pop up as a flash drive... Drill down to the Music folder and copy away. MP3, WAV, OGG, I do not think it will play MP4 (iTunes format). For iTunes purchased music, there used to be a way to make MP3's from inside itunes. I cannot speak to the newer versions of it.

I also use ES File Explorer to transfer files over the network... I have a NAS with 100GB of media on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.