Question I've a 6+2 and a split 6+2 Is it safe to use unattached split on another GPU?

May 31, 2024
I've a Corsair RM850e and it comes with 1x 6+2 pcie cable and 1x split 6+2 pcie cable, 850e included cables;

OPWyrxn.png

I know people recommend separate pcie power draw to a 2x8-pin gpu for safety like in here;

6JF3uGE.jpeg

but that doesn't say anything about if we can safely use the split on other single 6+2 pcie gpu.

So my question, I'm using those separate cables for the 6800xt as recommended but I want to place a gtx 1070 next to my 6800 xt using the 6800 xt unattached 6+2 pcie like this;

ykUGyoc.png

Is that safe to do?

Note: If anyone asks, reason I mix different gpus is https://github.com/ggerganov/llama.cpp/pull/5321, it allows offloading to an other gpu's vram.

May 31, 2024
This seems unwise. I think it would be safer to have each GPU on their own PCIe cable.

I see, okay. I didn't want to risk it as well so I did order an additional cable so I'll wait for that. Thank you for the response.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that advice is a bit dated anyway. it was/is a good idea for cheaper psu's that may not be designed correctly and can't actually output the full power for both 8 pins on a single cable (300w potential).

but for a quality unit that is built right, it's really not necessary.

use your split cable for the 6800xt and then the single cable to run your older 1070. your pus is a quality unit and won't have a problem powering the 6800xt this way.

Reactions: pilaxy
May 31, 2024
that advice is a bit dated anyway. it was/is a good idea for cheaper psu's that may not be designed correctly and can't actually output the full power for both 8 pins on a single cable (300w potential).

use your split cable for the 6800xt and then the single cable to run your older 1070. your pus is a quality unit and won't have a problem powering the 6800xt this way.

That seems right, I've seen similar posts saying this but it was always mixed with other opinions so I decided to not risk it in the end and be safe than sorry. Thank you for the input.

Joseph_138

Distinguished

It's not a question of whether the PSU can handle it, it's a question of whether the cable can handle it. You're talking about pulling 300W, through a single cable. If you wouldn't run a 300W graphics card through that one cable, then you shouldn't be powering 2-150W connectors on two different graphics cards, either. In both cases, you're still pulling 300W through one cable.