i've been getting a blue screen of death

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
i don't understand why i'm now all of a sudden getting weird "Blue Screen's of shutdown. I download stuff behind a vpn. SO i should be safe corect? and the programs i use run through my A/V and it has it's own a/v that's supposed to run and does run as far as i can tell whilst a video is downloading.

But i've gone to either run a video or move/copy some videos from one device, my computer or ext hard drive to a flash drive to view the videos on one of my flat screen tvs and whilst i'm copying the file my computer locks up and i'll get the blue screen stating that my system had to shut down.. blah blah blah.

Now ive been using computers since win 95 first came out and even back then i never got as many as i've gotten in the past month or two which has been 6 of the blue things.

How can i check to figure out if something got into my system?

I run eset a/v 8.0312.0 it is set to auto custom scan every sunday.
malewarebytes 2.1.6.1022 and the malewarebytes exploit addon for google chrome.
i also have the latest spybot free edition. malewarebytes is also their free version.

Am I protected enough, underprotected or over protected?

Solution

Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Startup & Recovery Settings -> Uncheck Automatically restart.

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
ok, i shall do that if i get another one of those blue screen. I did find that i had a trojan in C: windows/hosts.

that blue screen doesn't stay for long. is there a way for me to make that screen stay long enough for me to copy down the number that you have spoken about?

Teamlift99

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Startup & Recovery Settings -> Uncheck Automatically restart.

Solution

mikey1871

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Teamlift, is it safe for me to leave my computer in that condition for a while just to see if getting rid of that trojan was the cause?