[SOLVED] I've been given the option to build 2021 or 2022 (late nov) Which should I do? (I'm sorta impatient when it comes to things I like lol)

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
So. I have the option to upgrade my monitor this year and build in 2022, or build in 2021 and upgrade my monitor next year. What do you say? Future-proofing for next 6+ years with minor upgrades (maybe buy a 1 TB SATA drive when I need it) When should I build? It'll be my first build and I'm eager to do it as soon as possible, but I require others' opinion to decide.

Solution
I'm not a big fan of 1080p at 27+ inches, not for a desktop monitor. The pixels are far larger than the 24inch models. So unless you plan on moving a little further back from the monitor (which then puts it close to 24inch viewing just farther away) you actually end up with a worse picture as it takes on a pixelated look.

27" is about perfect for 1440p.

Your current gpu will push anything on 1080p, just some games with lowered settings.

Don't be overwhelmed by '240 Hz', very few are actually honest about that, Asus being one, the rest simply use a doubler from 120 Hz.

For a monitor upgrade worthy of needing a pc upgrade, I'd be looking at something like the Samsung Oddessy G7 27" or 32". A VA panel 240Hz 1440p curved.
So. I have the option to upgrade my monitor this year and build in 2022, or build in 2021 and upgrade my monitor next year. What do you say? Future-proofing for next 6+ years with minor upgrades (maybe buy a 1 TB SATA drive when I need it) When should I build? It'll be my first build and I'm eager to do it as soon as possible, but I require others' opinion to decide.
It depends on your budget.

Surfing the net, playing solitaire, and watching Youtube is not quite as taxing on a 6 or even 8 year old systems as is playing the latest first person shooter at 4k max details...

Hard to speculate as to if your goals are feasible without knowing a user's compute needs...

Reactions: Why_Me
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-hopefully-final-part-list.3694052/ <--- going by your thread you have a fairly decent size budget. And if you saw my reply on said thread it saves you enough money to put you into a 27" 1440P IPS gaming monitor and still have a solid build.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Monitor/G27Q#kf

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Monitor-Response-FreeSync-G27Q-SA/dp/B08CS3X1R9/
Gigabyte G27Q 27" 144Hz 1440P Gaming Monitor, 2560 x 1440 IPS Display, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time, 92% DCI-P3, VESA Display HDR400, FreeSync Premium $299.99 & Free delivery

eXPedient Demise

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
www.xpd.co.nz
Theres no point asking when to upgrade really, no time is a good time because within weeks/months of you buying parts etc, there will be something bigger and better that you'll want to wait for.... then during that time, something else is accounced... and so on.

Just buy the latest/best you can afford "now" and enjoy it.

Or else you'll be waiting forever........

Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Not in my opinion anyway.

The monitor is the deciding factor. You'll first need to make a decision on just exactly what you want. Do you want 1440p, or 144Hz or both or 4k etc. Ignore what pc you have or may get, only decide on the monitor.

Once you figure out the monitor desired, the rest is easy.

If the monitor will work with what you have now, even if barely, then get the monitor first. That gives you plenty of time to save up some real cash for when you go to buy the gpu that will power it best.

If the monitor will be too much for what you have now, then it's time to replace/upgrade the pc until it is well capable of pushing that monitor. That'll give you time to actually get the equipment as needed.

So. I have the option to upgrade my monitor this year and build in 2022, or build in 2021 and upgrade my monitor next year. What do you say?
considering that right now graphics cards and many other components are hard to come by, you may be better off waiting til next year to upgrade the main components or to start a new build.
though there's no guarantee that stock will match demand by then either, so it really is a guessing game.

your current components can also play a big factor into this decision.
do you have an adequate system to run decent fps on a nice monitor? this would determine if purchasing a nice one now would even be viable.

maybe just save the money you have on hand and wait until you can afford the whole bundle to really determine what components will fit your new build together later on.
by 2022 there will be new, possibly better priced with better features, displays and other components available.
so purchasing a nice monitor or gaming TV now could leave you with buyer's remorse when you actually get to building the new system next year.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
So the monitor is a 240Hz Alienware 2720HF and I’ll be playing at 1080p and I currently have a prebuilt with an i7-7700k and a 1070. It will be used for gaming, with RT and DLSS on if possible.

So the monitor is a 240Hz Alienware 2720HF and I’ll be playing at 1080p
that would be nice for your current setup.
but if a year from now you upgrade to high end components that can handle much better, i would imagine you will be disappointed being stuck at 1080p on a 27" screen.

if you're planning on building something pretty nice in the future;
maybe research into HDR, G-Sync Ultimate, larger screens, ultra-wides, 2K \ 4K, more immersive curved screens, etc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not a big fan of 1080p at 27+ inches, not for a desktop monitor. The pixels are far larger than the 24inch models. So unless you plan on moving a little further back from the monitor (which then puts it close to 24inch viewing just farther away) you actually end up with a worse picture as it takes on a pixelated look.

27" is about perfect for 1440p.

Your current gpu will push anything on 1080p, just some games with lowered settings.

Don't be overwhelmed by '240 Hz', very few are actually honest about that, Asus being one, the rest simply use a doubler from 120 Hz.

For a monitor upgrade worthy of needing a pc upgrade, I'd be looking at something like the Samsung Oddessy G7 27" or 32". A VA panel 240Hz 1440p curved.

Last edited:
Solution

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Ah I see, any monitor recommendations? 1080p or 1440p, I would like 200+ Hz, and if possible, at least 27”. I’m looking for a monitor with a max price range of $450.

Ah I see, any monitor recommendations? 1080p or 1440p, I would like 200+ Hz, and if possible, at least 27”. I’m looking for a monitor with a max price range of $450.
Pair this monitor up with a cheap desktop vesa stand that allows for tilt, swivel & height adjustment.

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-Radeon-FreeSync-Esports-Monitor/dp/B08TYX8HN6/
Pixio PX248 Prime S 24 inch 165Hz IPS 1ms FHD 1080p AMD Radeon FreeSync Esports IPS Gaming Monitor $179.99

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Computer-Free-Standing-Adjustable-STAND-V001H/dp/B01FE2BCR8/
VIVO Single Monitor Stand - Freestanding VESA Steel Mount Base Riser fits 13 to 32 inch Screens, Adjustable Height, Tilt, Swivel, Rotation $24.99

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=desktop+vesa+stand&i=electronics&crid=1VSV83WQKV7ZF&sprefix=desktop+ves,electronics,264&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_11 <--- desktop VESA stands @ Amazon

Two reviews of the older 144Hz version of that monitor.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pixio-px248-prime-24-inch-gaming-monitor
Pixio PX248 Prime Review

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-freesync-monitors-for-nvidia-gpus
2. Pixio PX248 Prime

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It may or may not be, don't know. There weren't any 240Hz monitors. And overnight everybody seems to have one. Asus had the first that I know of, a true 240Hz panel, but that was TN, part of the reason it can be OC'd to 288Hz. IPS was at 60Hz still. Now everyone has 240Hz IPS, VA, and TN can be had as high as 360Hz. Most used doublers, a cheap way just to claim the higher refresh.

Although that doesn't say much, but Plasma Tv's ran at 600Hz, 10 years ago.

any monitor recommendations? 1080p or 1440p
if you're spending quite a bit of time gaming at this desktop, you should look into a quality ultra-wide curved display.
everyone i've ever seen mentioning one states that once they've used one, they would never go back to 16:9 aspect ratio.
and i can attest it is true.

my 34" 120Hz 21:9 3440x1440 is the best gaming experience i've ever had.
out of the 5 past displays i've used; 27" 3D 1080p, 27" 2K 165Hz, 32" 4K, 55" 4K 120Hz HDR, it is the best.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I've found an MSI Optix MAG301CR2 monitor for $349 at Micro Center. It has a 21:9 aspect ratio, 29.5" display, and 200 Hz refresh rate using DP (180 using HDMI). For the recommendations, I would like it to be 200Hz, and under $550.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
What part of stop making new threads did you not understand?
Should I go for a 1440p ultrawide 144hz monitor or a 1080p (maybe ultrawide) 240hz? I play FPS games and would like the most out of my display. Planning this to be a long term investment. Recommend me some good monitors for 1440p 144+Hz and 1080p 200+Hz. What’s the difference between 144, 165, and 240 Hz? In gameplay and performance? Should I get a 30”+ display or no? 1080p or 1440p?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it looks to me like you should watch video reviews of monitors, and use Google to figure out which monitor you want, and then come here and ask opinions on what you found, instead of expecting people who volunteer their own free time to answering other peoples questions, to do all your work for you. None of us has to be here.

Stop making new threads just cause someone didn't answer in 90 minutes. That just get you in trouble.