Question I've been running the same system since 2011 -- bring me to 2021 please

albundy2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I haven't been active on thg [THF?] in forever, kinda got burnt out. i'm way out of the loop, but i do know i want something portable for my new rig. below is the checklist, like i said, i'm way out of the loop so if something doesn't look right feel free to interpret for me :)
1. What is your budget?

cheaper is better but $2k max please, i might go 2099, but it better be good.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15"... it will be my main rig running external displays, but i'll also be running diagnostic emulators like GM tech II in the future, so i need portability, but will remain close to power if needed.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1080 should be fine. will have external monitors usually also likely 1080. 27" 1 normal, 1 rotated for reading.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

portable desktop replacement :)

5. How much battery life do you need?

8hrs max. if that. power will always be available, but it would be nice if it had some portability.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

i like playing games on the rare ocassion i get time, but i like older games... skyrim, civ 3, farcry.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

editing would be a nice capability. not often used now, but interests change.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

will be adding 8TB NAS, so idk 500GB? nvme if possible, not sure how common that is, but it was recommended.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

newegg most likely. microcenter is nowhere near me in portland, or. fry's is a ghost town. i do have a dell account.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

another 10 years, but i've never come close to that with a laptop. hoping it may go better this time with an empty nest.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

i'll go external if needed, can't say i really use them anymore.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

only owned dell, can't say i'm a fan, but can't say i blame them when i had kids and nobody did it lol.

13. What country do you live in?

usa

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

current rig desktop i5-2400, asus something?mobo 8GB ram, smasung evo ssd's, wifi, amd saphire r290 i think, 27"asus led monitor... been awhile since i built it, but it was decent for the time. it's starting to blue screen and flicker, onboard audio died. cpu cooler is corroding. it's time to donate it to a friend to get them by for a few or till it finally goes all the way.

appreciate any help.

Lutfij

Titan

TRENDING THREADS