[SOLVED] I've bought a 500gb SSD. Should I migrate ONLY Windows to it?

don8 pl0x

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
So I just bought the Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, and I'm wondering if it is worth it to move Windows to the new SSD? I'm not quite sure how to go about it, and I want to keep everything except for games on my normal 1TB HDD, I have my HDD almost full, so I can't just clone everything on my HDD to my SSD via a migration program, and I'd really just like to move Windows from the HDD to my SSD to boot faster. I'll reinstall games onto the SSD as needed, but, like I said earlier, I really want to move just Windows to the SSD. How can I go about doing that?

Solution
So, a 500GB SSD.

What size is your current drive? 1TB with 50GB free space?

To migrate into a 500GB drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 400GB.
If using the Samsung Data Migration tool, there are some things you can leave off. But I find it MUCH better to get to the proper size first.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't move "only Windows" to the new drive. There is no function or application to do that.

How much space is consumed on your current drive?
And specifically, what constitutes that data?
Do you by any chance have some other drive with a bunch of free space to use temporarily?

don8 pl0x

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
You can't move "only Windows" to the new drive. There is no function or application to do that.

How much space is consumed on your current drive?
And specifically, what constitutes that data?
Do you by any chance have some other drive with a bunch of free space to use temporarily?
I do have an external 1TB HDD, but I believe that it is more than a quarter full, so that won't be of use. On my current drive, only about 50 GB remain, of which it is mostly consumed by old videos (which most have since been migrated to an external HDD), games, and Kontakt Libraries are what take up a large part of it. Specifically Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which literally takes up a fifth of my current HDD (that is the reason I'm getting an SSD in the first place, for more storage for games and better performance on said games).

USAFRet

Titan
So, a 500GB SSD.

What size is your current drive? 1TB with 50GB free space?

To migrate into a 500GB drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 400GB.
If using the Samsung Data Migration tool, there are some things you can leave off. But I find it MUCH better to get to the proper size first.

Reactions: mrcanada11
Solution