[SOLVED] I've cloned my system to an ssd, but i cant format my hard drive

Apr 10, 2021
I recently got a Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB ssd and cloned my system using the samsung migration software. Now, when i remove the cables to the hard drive, i can boot into the ssd with no problems, everything works as it should, but when i have both my ssd and hard drive connected, it boots straight to the hard drive. Ive changed the boot priorities to the ssd, and even manually choose the ssd by clicking f12 when its booting. When i manually choose the ssd it says, "Reboot and select proper boot device", anyone have a fix for this? I want to boot into my ssd to format my hard drive to use for extra space. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Since you say that the ssd works perfectly independently when you remove the hdd cables, then as a last resort you just have to get away from windows and its bootmanager. Download a linux distro and burn the .iso onto a usb. Try booting from that and if successful use the gparted app to remove the hdd's partitions, create a new gpt partition and format it as ntfs.
Linux is not the solution here.
It is in many cases, but not this.

The borked up clone can be fixed, possibly. Once we see what is actually happening with these drives and partitions.
Since you say that the ssd works perfectly independently when you remove the hdd cables, then as a last resort you just have to get away from windows and its bootmanager. Download a linux distro and burn the .iso onto a usb. Try booting from that and if successful use the gparted app to remove the hdd's partitions, create a new gpt partition and format it as ntfs.

USAFRet

Titan
Linux is not the solution here.
It is in many cases, but not this.

The borked up clone can be fixed, possibly. Once we see what is actually happening with these drives and partitions.

Solution