Question I've decided to build my own system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
So, after much consideration, I've decided to build my next desktop as opposed to buying it. The question is; where to start? It has been a long time since I constructed my own PC, so I am hoping to gain some direction here.

What I can tell you:

1. System Purpose: This machine will be dedicated to brute forcing passwords on old documents I've discovered as I clear off my old drives prior to disposal.
  2. Footprint: A full size desktop with lots of room for expansion.
  3. Processor: Intel Core i9, but which?
  4. RAM: Maximum supported by the Windows 10 OS
  5. System Board: Seeking recommendations. This is the foundation of the system and the most important decision of the build.
  6. Video Card: Recommendations? I know video cards have their own processor, but, I don't believe the software I plan to run will be able to take advantage of it.
  7. Power Supply: Something heavy duty as this machine will run 24/7.

Primarily, I'd like to start with recommendations on system board, processor and ram.

Thank you.
Dom

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
If they are your drives, it is your data and passwords.
Something known to you.

Otherwise, just wipe them.

I sense that you feel I am doing something nefarious.

These drives belong to me. I've collected them over the years as I upgraded systems. When throwing out the old machines, the drives got pulled and dumped into a box. I will wipe the drives, but not before I am certain that there is nothing I might want.

They are my drives. It doesn't necessarily mean that I recall the passwords on some of the docs... not when some of these drives are old IDE dating back to mid-1990's

USAFRet

Titan
I sense that you feel I am doing something nefarious.

These drives belong to me. I've collected them over the years as I upgraded systems. When throwing out the old machines, the drives got pulled and dumped into a box. I will wipe the drives, but not before I am certain that there is nothing I might want.

They are my drives. It doesn't necessarily mean that I recall the passwords on some of the docs... not when some of these drives are old IDE dating back to mid-1990's
Accessing them via a Linux OS would almost certainly bypass whatever Windows password might be on them.

Just saying, a requirement like "RAM: Maximum supported by the Windows 10 " is way over the top.
Win 10 Home can utilize 128GB, Pro...512GB.
You almost certainly do not need that.

Reactions: Dom46

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
  1. System Purpose: This machine will be dedicated to brute forcing passwords on old documents I've discovered as I clear off my old drives prior to disposal.
That should list what software you will be running not trying to get data off old IDE drives.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Accessing them via a Linux OS would almost certainly bypass whatever Windows password might be on them.

Just saying, a requirement like "RAM: Maximum supported by the Windows 10 " is way over the top.
Win 10 Home can utilize 128GB, Pro...512GB.
You almost certainly do not need that.

Thank you. This was helpful.

I do run Ubuntu. So you are suggesting that there would be a good chance that I could work around the passwords on the docs by mounting the drives to a Linux system. Interesting!

But I still have this itch to build a new computer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.