I've exhausted the troubleshooting list. Help Me!

lockerzlovesme

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I've exhausted my list of troubleshooting. I get absolutely nothing when I try to boot. No lights, fans, movement of any kind. I built the computer 2 weeks ago and it worked fine. I shut it down one night and it never turned back on. Did some research and tests and figured on it being the mobo because the psu and everything worked fine. Returned the mobo and installed new one today and still nothing. Tested the psu with a multimeter and its fine. I tried jumpstarting the comp with no power button and still nothing. Tried every Ram slot with multiple sticks, took the video card out and tried. i went through the new build wont bootup sticky on this site. ive tried everything and im about ready to toss this puppy off a bridge. Does anyone have any ideas at all? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Welcome to THGGF lockerzlovesme!

Would you mind listing your components and what voltages you got with your PSU?

lockerzlovesme

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I'll have to retest for the voltages because i cant remember exactly. i had a little chart and they were all correct from what i understand but im by no means a computer expert.

Mobo-gigabyte 880gm-usb3
Ram-Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2 4Gb sticks
Video Card-EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9800GT PCI-E 512MB
Processor-AMD Phenom 2 X4 3.4 GHz i believe
Diablotek 750W psu
Hitachi 1 TB hard drive
Sony CD drive
Sabrent 802.11 wireless card
i think thats everything. im new to using these forums so im not quite up to date on computer lingo lol

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
You did not mention what PSU you have and its wattage or OP/SYS.

To be honest with you it certainly sounds like the PSU to me since it was running for 2 weeks with no problems.

Also was the CPU OC'd?

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
i listed it above. its a diablotek 750W.

I missed that, dang, my bad.

This is a lot of work but can really pay off.

Remove your PSU, M/BD w/CPU and ram and GPU, HDD and put on table, bench, box etc. and see if it operates then.

This eliminates the case and perhaps a misplaced stand-off or screw.

Also try.... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Standard debugging is to pull parts until the system posts. Any loose card or dead card can short things enough to match your symptoms. If you get down to bare MB (not shorted to case because you used the right standoffs) and still no joy and you are sure that the power supply is OK (and this is hard to test) then bread-boarding the PC as suggested above is a great suggestion.

Often pulling all external cables (usb, network) and pulling video , sound and memory is enough to get the PC to post.