sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Hey guys!

So I've noticed that I've developed a heat issue. I currently am running a Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 at sock speeds. When playing a few hours of WoW I noticed that I see a lot of random lines shotting across my screen. It seems like a lot of angles are being insanely stretched across my screen. I naturally thought that this was a video card issue so I updated my ATI driver (X1900XTX).

This didn't solve the problem. I just ignored the issue. Then I noticed that after continued playing my system would hang then shut down. I checked the BIOS and noticed my Core 2 Duo is running at 59-62 degrees C. This isn't good at all! I'm using the stock cooler. So I'm thinking about upgrading the heatsink and fan and I noticed this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5694/cpu-cma-13/Cooler_Master_GeminII_Dual_120mm_Universal_CPU_Cooler_-_Socket_754_775_939_940_AM2_-_RR-CCH-ANU2-GP.html#blank

Do you think that the above cooler would fit on a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128017

Inside a
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/1681/cst-388.jpg/cst-388/Thermaltake_Matrix_VX_Mid_Tower_Case_Side_Panel_Window_Black_VD3000BWA.html?tl=g1c7s28

??

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Also to bump and add a bit more information, this is my power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182046

What temps are you getting on your vid card after a few hours? Is your heatsink properly seated? Before you say yes, open the case and check. The crappy design for intel coolers is problematic with unseating itself. Did you use thermal paste? Need more input.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I don't know the temps I'm getting on my video card and I fear that may be the case.

The heatsink and fan are situated fine, I had difficulty getting it on at first (I'm used to AMD's design of clamp) but I got it. I did had to reseat it though and I did not reapply any thermal compound as I didn't have any. I did not apply any to begin with as I didn't have any lying around.

What do you (or anyone) suggest for monitoring my video cards temperature?

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I don't know the temps I'm getting on my video card and I fear that may be the case.

The heatsink and fan are situated fine, I had difficulty getting it on at first (I'm used to AMD's design of clamp) but I got it. I did had to reseat it though and I did not reapply any thermal compound as I didn't have any. I did not apply any to begin with as I didn't have any lying around.

You mean to tell me you are running your computer with no thermal paste? Everytime you unseat the heatsink, you HAVE to reapply thermal compound to the chip.

Use 100%(or as close as you can get) isopropryl alcohol and clean the heatsink and chip until all residue is gone. Apply a small dab of AS5 and spread it out with a razorblade until its a very thin, even coat on the processor's IHS. Then seat the heatsink with a small twist.

Now turn off your computer and dont power it up again until it's cooled correctly.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

You mean to tell me you are running your computer with no thermal paste? Everytime you unseat the heatsink, you HAVE to reapply thermal compound to the chip.

Use 100%(or as close as you can get) isopropryl alcohol and clean the heatsink and chip until all residue is gone. Apply a small dab of AS5 and spread it out with a razorblade until its a very thin, even coat on the processor's IHS. Then seat the heatsink with a small twist.

Now turn off your computer and dont power it up again until it's cooled correctly.

Does it have thermal compound that I bought before or after the cpu? No, but there is a thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
If you seat the heatsink, use the PC, then remove the heatsink again, you've damn near got to clean the heatsink and IHS of the CPU and apply new thermal paste.

Granted, you CAN run a system without any thermal paste, but you'll have shite temps.

Could also be your graphics card overheating.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
crap, I was hoping that I was wrong :D

Well, looks like I have 2 options then...

1) I can buy an aftermarket cooler for my X1900XTX,
2) I can start saving and buy a new card... what would you guys suggest?

Also, if I'm buying a new card I'm going to be eyeing the 8600/8800 GTS. (GTX is just too expensive) and I don't even know if there IS a 8600 GTS... yet :D

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007

When you buy your AS5 make sure you pick up a new processor, because if you've been running without any thermal compound and with a stock intel cooler, its probably too late for that one. Also, make sure you get some airflow in your case before you fry your GPU too.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
When you buy your AS5 make sure you pick up a new processor, because if you've been running without any thermal compound and with a stock intel cooler, its probably too late for that one. Also, make sure you get some airflow in your case before you fry your GPU too.

Read the whole thread and think before giving advice. :roll: He's using the stock thermal pad. He's just removed and replaced the heatsink without reapplying. Also, why would you tell someone to spend $160 on a new cpu when the one he has still works? Yes 59-62C is on the hot side but running at that for a short period of time most likley won't cause damage.

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
He didn't specify how long he had been running that way.. He said he "just ignored the issue and continued playing" Who knows what temperatures the CPU reached before it "would hang then shut down" If I was in that situation I would buy a new processor. I give advice based on what I would do in a given situation. Feel free to give advice based on what you would do, but try to avoid flaming people without contributing anything useful to the thread.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
He didn't specify how long he had been running that way.. He said he "just ignored the issue and continued playing" Who knows what temperatures the CPU reached before it "would hang then shut down" If I was in that situation I would buy a new processor. I give advice based on what I would do in a given situation. Feel free to give advice based on what you would do, but try to avoid flaming people without contributing anything useful to the thread.

LOL Ok. I rarely flame (I'd hardly call what I said flaming). But I will sometimes call out people when they give bad advice. But next time I comment on any bad advice you give, I'll be sure to repeat the good advice others have already posted.
So, I'll say what others have said, clean the cpu and heatsink and reapply thermal grease. Also, consider adding more case fans and getting an after market heatsink for the gpu. How's that for contributing? 8)

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

LOL Ok. I rarely flame (I'd hardly call what I said flaming). But I will sometimes call out people when they give bad advice. But next time I comment on any bad advice you give, I'll be sure to repeat the good advice others have already posted.
So, I'll say what others have said, clean the cpu and heatsink and reapply thermal grease. Also, consider adding more case fans and getting an after market heatsink for the gpu. How's that for contributing? 8)

Well by the time it restarted it was at about 62 degrees C. After talking with friends and reading posts here I'm thinking it's the video card. I also took some time and felt the air coming out of the back, it's extremely warm. I'll go ahead and open it up and blow it out. If that doesn't fix the issue I may look into buying a new card.

I will also purchase a new heatsink/fan and reapply quality thermal compound...

Kolorean

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I have some very, very similar problems with my system I just got 2 days ago. E6600, gigabyte 650i, XFX 8800 GTS 320 OCed version, 2 gigs of Kingston PC 6400, Thermaltake Tough Power 750. I get a beep I assume from the MB, then it turns into a constant beep.

Whats the best way to monitor the temps in a system? the Bios?

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Does the system boot or what?

Best way to monitor temps would be a probe directly on what you want to monitor.. But a good indication that everything is going well is that your CPU fan will turn on when you start up.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
well, do not worry if your gfx card has hot air coming out the back, it should be. i personally don't have a radiator on in my room. i just let my 2 x1900's heat it up(no joke).

what sort of airflow in your case do you have. have you got front and back fans?

before you go messing with anything make sure you take care of the basics.

I have 120mm for intake and exhaust. I also keep my side panel off because of habit.

If I remember correctly my ambient temperature was 50 C. And I understand it's normal for hot air to be coming out from the video card. But this air was pretty darn hot. *Shrugs* from what I remember the 1900's run a bit toasty anyhow.

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Using any type of thermal paste is extremely important..I've noticed that from my experience..At first,I've used my Pentium D820 about one month having a temp. sometimes reaching 65C..This is too bad..I then removed the HS (original intel) , cleaned the CPU , applied some of thermal paste and then reinstalled the Heat Sink..That's all

I afterwards have tested the system hardly having temp. above 45C or something ..running 38C idle...So you can imagine...

crap, I was hoping that I was wrong :D

Well, looks like I have 2 options then...

1) I can buy an aftermarket cooler for my X1900XTX,
2) I can start saving and buy a new card... what would you guys suggest?

Also, if I'm buying a new card I'm going to be eyeing the 8600/8800 GTS. (GTX is just too expensive) and I don't even know if there IS a 8600 GTS... yet :D

If you arent overclocking your Video you should be with stock cooling if you have good airflow which it sounds like you do with a 120 on intake and exhaust. Don't buy a new video card the 1900xtx is a good card. I like mine. I have a thread talking about upgrading in the future but don't just toss it away because of a problem.

Did you ever see what your video temps are? start up CCC so it shows your temp. Play a game for a while and exit really quickly or cntl+tab out of it and see what the temps are. My buddy's on stock hits 90C on bf2142 and he has good airflow. They do feel like a hairdryer comming out the back but are made to run hot.

I say get some thermal paste, AC5 or comperable. And spread evenly and reattach your heatsink. You should reapply each time you remove it. Clean with rubbing alcohol before applying so hou have 2 clean surfaces. The stock cooler should not run near that hot at stock speed. I think you hare not getting good contact somewhere on the CPU.

another ? have you messed with the video cooler at all?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
If you seat the heatsink, use the PC, then remove the heatsink again, you've damn near got to clean the heatsink and IHS of the CPU and apply new thermal paste.

Granted, you CAN run a system without any thermal paste, but you'll have shite temps.

Could also be your graphics card overheating.
Yeah, it sounds like tearing to me. I find it happens when the Video cards RAM is OC'ed too high vs. the core...or the RAM is too hot. Might need some RAMsinks to cool things down. GL :)

How long have you had your X1900XTX? I started to see my temps rise, so I cleaned out my case. When I cleaned my gfx card (removed from the system), I blew canned air in at the fan (keeping the fan from spinning, high RPMs will damage the bearings) towards the back of the card where the air is drawn into the heatsink. No word of a lie, out came what looked like a little rectangular pad of felt. This was the accumulated dust bunnies that had been sucked into the end of the heatsink by the fan over a matter of 5 months or so. I gave the heatsink a thorough cleaning and my temps dropped somewhere between 15 - 20 degrees celcius at full load. This build up was literally starving my card of air. I originally became suspicious because I could not force my GPU fan up past a certain RPM. Something to look into.

Also don't be too concerned about running your CPU hot, Intels design will throttle the CPU down at 80C to protect itself. Granted running like this for an extended period of time isn't advisable, but if it's still working, you should be OK to rectify the problem. You do need to be aware that it is a problem, but I wouldn't just run out an buy a new CPU with the paste :roll: . Just be sure to thoroughly clean the CPU and heatsink with alcohol and apply a good TIM (thermal interface material) like Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique. I wouldn't continue operating your computer until you do fix the problem.

We're all here to learn, there's no reason to make people feel stupid about something you know and they don't. Don't belittle the people who are brave and smart enough to ask for help when they don't know something. Don't give geeks a bad name. I like to help, not judge.