I've got a strange problem with my external Harddrive!!! Need help!!

G

Hi.

I've got problems with my external harddrive from Iomega. (500gb).

When I connect it to my computer (Windows Vista 32-bit), It appears in "My computer" like it's supposed to, but when I open it, all maps in the drive are "Shortcuts" instead of "Filemaps". When I try to open a map in the drive, nothing happens, and after a moment I get this strange thing called c.exe wanting to acces my computer.

I think my harddrive has been infected by some sort of virus or something, but I really need the data from my drive, because it's about 260 gbs I've put into it.

I need help how to fix this!

If someone have an idea, I would appreciate if you posted a reply soon!

Greetings, Anton

G

I've got a Norton premium antivirus software, got it when I bought the computer. I have scanned the external harddrive and It does find a Trojan, but the wierd thing is that the trojan is found in a map that i've deleted from my omputer along time ago, and i've even restored my system a couple of times, but I still finds it, but this time in the external harddrive.

Thanks for the fast reply btw =)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is not uncommon for malware of any type to find way NOT to allow itself to be deleted. So even though you "deleted it long ago", it left itself somewhere else - on the external drive. Norton has found and identified it. Can Norton also disinfect it / remove it for you? In fact before you try that, make sure your Norton has all its virus definitions up to date.

G

Alright I made sure my Norton was up to date and began the scaning process of my drive. It found a trojan horse. Norton said that the Trojan couldn't be removed due to that the file wasn't supported. "Removal of security risk failed". The only action left were to "review" it, which I did. An internet page opened up giving me some information about exactly this virus.

If it's to any use, here's what it said;

Threat AssessmentWildWild Level: Low
Number of Infections: 0 - 49
Number of Sites: 0 - 2
Geographical Distribution: Low
Threat Containment: Easy
Removal: Easy
DamageDamage Level: Medium
Payload: Actions carried out by Trojan horse programs may vary from one instance to another.
Large Scale E-mailing: A Trojan may carry out spam relay operations.
Releases Confidential Info: Trojans may attempt to steal information from the compromised computer.
Degrades Performance: Activities performed by a Trojan may lead to performance degradation.
Compromises Security Settings: Trojans may end processes associated with security applications and also lower security settings.
DistributionDistribution Level: Low

Once I'd "reviewed" it, Norton says "All identified security risks have been solved". And when I search the drive again it show's up again. =(

The main problem with my external harddrive is that I CANNOT ACCESS MY FILES!!
The files are there in the drive because Norton seems to scan them when I scan the drive. I just dont know why I cant access them!? Why the heck are all maps acting as shortcuts?? I really need the data from that disk so I would really appreciate some help! =)

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Is the trojan gone? get rid of first. delete from registry if you have to!
Right click on the folder and or a file and verify that they're not hidden or encrypted.
Try to copy a few from the back up to a flash drive or C drive.
What happens?

G

I don't know how to get rid of it because my Norton cant remove it and I am unable to open any maps/access any files inside my harddrive.

How do I delete it from the regisrty?

G

Something I've noticed is that when I open up "My computer", all harddrives (C,D and the external hdd) are shown, but the icon for the external harddrive is a map, and not a harddrive icon. I hope you guys understand what I mean because when my harddrive worked well, it appeared in "My computer" with the icon of a harddrive, and I could easily access all my files in it. Now the external harddrive's icon dosen't look like the icon for harddrive C and D, like it used to when it worked well.

Hopefully this gave someone an idea of what the problem is?
Do you think that "the problem" could just be that I've accidentaly happened to change some settings for the extrenal drive sometime? The file system for the external drive is "Fat32".

Please share if you have any idea!! :D As soon as possible ;)

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Write the file name down.
Go to Run, Type regedit,
Top left, edit,find type in File name.
Now search. when it finds the file delete it. F3 to search again
delete every entry. you may have to reboot and do this twice if the registry won't let you delete something.
Now search your computer files. Start,search,files folders, type in name, search & delete.
Also describe what you mean by a map.

G

At the moment I'm doing what you suggested.

When I yesterday started "regedit", I changed the value on "hidden", "Superhidden" and "Showsuperhidden", and when I restarted my computer shortly after and double clicked on my external drive, I could see all my maps and files and were also able to access them! Only problem were that all maps and files were shown as "hidden" and I couldn't make them visible. At the time I didn't want to take the risk and leave my files on the drive when I finally could use them, so I copied a folder from my external drive to my desktop, and when I the opened the map on my dektop, It was shown as a hidden map with noting in it.

any ideas of how to get them visible? =)

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Right click the folder(map?) or right click the file and select properties.
Deselect/remove check, all should be available
do this for all directories files

G

Thanks for the advice but nothing seems to happen :(

Something I've noticed is that when I search the map I can see all my files. I can just copy them to my desktop and they'll be fully visible there.

Now the only problem left is how to get the files in the external drive visible. The first time I changed value on "hidden", "superhidden" and "showsuperhidden", the maps were shown in my external drive. (As hidden maps). Now when I try to do it again, nothing happens. So the only thing I need help with is getting them visible.

SamTHorn

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Make sure the RPMs are the same on both drives. Also check if the jumpers are set to slave on the secondary drive. Give those a try and see if it works. Get back to me.

Good luck..

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

How would that apply to an external hard drive, attached via USB?

SamTHorn

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
There are two or three different devises that would work.

The cheapest way is a USB to ATA connector. It's about $15. Try doing a search on tigerdirect.com and you'll see what you need.

dena_34

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hi.

I've got problems with my external harddrive from Iomega. (500gb).

When I connect it to my computer (Windows Vista 32-bit), It appears in "My computer" like it's supposed to, but when I open it, all maps in the drive are "Shortcuts" instead of "Filemaps". When I try to open a map in the drive, nothing happens, and after a moment I get this strange thing called c.exe wanting to acces my computer.

I think my harddrive has been infected by some sort of virus or something, but I really need the data from my drive, because it's about 260 gbs I've put into it.

I need help how to fix this!

If someone have an idea, I would appreciate if you posted a reply soon!

Greetings, Anton

TRENDING THREADS