I've had 5 different BSOD errors in a day on a fresh install of Windows 7. How to fix?

Porkman

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
So my computer was getting rampant BSOD crashes so I reinstalled Windows 7.

It seemed to work well for a day, but now I'm getting all of the same problems.

I've received a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error (.dmp file here)

Then a REFERENCE_BY_POINTER error (.dmp file here)

Followed by a lovely SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error (.dmp file here)

Then there was a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (.dmp file here)

All of these errors involved ntoskrnl.exe.

There was also a BSOD that would occur when the system started. Booting into windows the computer would crash as the little dots were coming together to form the windows logo. Unfortunately, this error would only appear on the screen for a tenth of a second so I haven't been able to read it. It also hasn't created a crash report.

There's a problem also when I try to do recovery. That creates a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error without fail. Unfortunately, that also has no crash report since it happens outside of Windows.

I have a Compaq Presario cq42 301AX laptop.... It's old, the battery is pretty weak, but this has all happened when the machine is plugged in.

Please help.

EDIT: I installed SP 1 and I was gifted with a whole new BSOD.... I've got six different BSOD's in 2 days..
view

I'm trying the drivers next

looked at another bugcheck it was a bad memory address passed to a network routine. you could have memory problems but more likely it is just a bug caused by the old network drivers. Do the various updates, delete the old memory dumps and see if you get new ones. if you want to test, you can also run memtest86 on its own boot image and test your RAM and BIOS memory settings. ( you will still have to update to windows 7 sp1 before your system will be stable in any case)

update this ethernet driver:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 01:04:13 2009
Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
from here:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

reboot then update your system to windows 7 service pack 1 +updates.

too many bugs in windows 7 RTM build 7600. Newer graphics drivers will break, and your virus scanners will break because of bugs in the old ethernet driver.

you might consider installing a bios update also (if there is one)
your BIOS is from 2011, these versions tended to have bugs in USB support. (unrelated to your current problem)

Porkman

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

Ok, so I did all of this, but I still have the BSOD problems. When my computer resumes from hibernate, it fairly dependably suffers a "Service Exception Error." On Boot, it will crash out with a very fast BSOD when the windows logo is coming together. If I try to use startup repair, it leads to a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error.

Memtest has repeatedly passed with flying colors...

This is absolutely maddening

you should confirm that the various fans in the computer are still spinning. Blow the dust out of them.
and if you have tools in BIOS or for the motherboard tell the system to run the fans at max speed.
I seen old fans that had all of there fan blades broken off, they spin but don't cool,
fans can pop off the motor also, or just run slow if clogged. Sometimes they start working if you just blow on them.