I've lost my password for Outlook Express.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmeb123

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
I've lost the password for the outlook express mailbox. How do I reset it and/find it? I'd be grateful for a solution. Thanks.

MJSBLUES

Honorable
May 7, 2013
From the microsoft website-
If you forget your Identity password, you will not be able to recover it. Furthermore, since account passwords are stored in the Windows registry under a particular Identity, even if you have never used more than one Identity, you will also be unable to recover their passwords. You only option is to create a new Identity from the Identity logon window, re-enter your accounts information, and then import your mail folders as follows:
On the File menu, click Import, then click Messages
Select "Microsoft Outlook Express 6" from the list and click Next.
Select Import mail from an OE6 store directory and click OK
Browse to the original Identity's store folder
Select the folders to be imported and click Next
When the import process is complete click Finish to close the import wizard.

To remove the original Identity you will have to edit the Windows registry. This is best left to experienced users.

It sometimes happens that Outlook Express stops remembering account passwords. This can be caused by anti-virus e-mail scanners. Disabling the e-mail scan usually corrects this problem, but you will probably have to re-enter the account settings on the Servers Properties page and verify the Remember Password box is still checked.

If Outlook Express still cannot remember passwords, the problem probably lies in the Windows Protected Storage Service. You should first verify that the service is running:
On the Start menu, click Control Panel
Double click Administrative Tools to open it
In the Administrative Tools window double click Service to open it
On the right pane, scroll down and see if Protected Storage status is Started
If the status is not Started, double click on it
Set the Startup type to Automatic and click OK
Restart your computer.

If the problem continues, the registry entries for the Protect Storage are probably damaged. The solution involves careful editing of the registry, and is explained in detail in these Knowledge Base articles.
Outlook Express and Outlook repeatedly prompt you for your password when you check messages on an Exchange Server-based computer
Save password setting not retained in Outlook or Outlook Express

If you forget an account password, there is little that can be done by the online community or Windows Product Support. You will have to contact your ISP or account owner and request a new password.
Looks like you might have to make a new account, or you might be able to call your ISP. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.