[SOLVED] I've lucked out and managed to get the same set of 2x8gb RAM sticks that I already have in my PC, but I'm getting a CPU error when booting ?

Apr 2, 2023
like the title says, i got another 16gb of ram(this is the second pair as i RMAd the first thinking the were DoA).
Now my issue comes after installing and removing for trouble shooting. I broke one of the tabs for the dimm slots(DimmA1) and i do plan on replacing the motherboard and rebuilding the pc with everything thats in my current MSI B550 Tomahawk board into a new board.

The question I'm asking is can i install just one of the sticks for now until i get the new board? and if i can, should i disable XMP before installing? could that have been the issue i was having when trying to install them the previous two times?

apologies and thanks in advance. i have no idea how to word this properly so if any help is given at all its truly appreciated!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: MSI B550 tomahawk
RAM: Oloy WarHawk 2x8gb @3600(on xmp) (trying to upgrade to 4x8gb for total of 32gb)
SSD: Crucial P3 1TB nvme
GPU: Zotax Nvidia RTX 3060 OC Edition (no overclock)
PSU: Corsair RM750

Last edited:
Solution
The only "Identical" sticks come in the same package.
Mixing 2 sets almost always fails on Ryzen platform.
Sell what you have and purchase a kit of the desired speed and capacity you want/need.
Check the odd man out section.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As for your ram, if you're working with a 2x16GB kit, you're supposed to populate slots A2 and B2, if this it the motherboard;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK
you're working with.

Apr 2, 2023
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As for your ram, if you're working with a 2x16GB kit, you're supposed to populate slots A2 and B2, if this it the motherboard;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK
you're working with.
appreciate the response, and fixed my post to include the tower specs as im confident its nothing to do with the displays:) and also, i mistyped my post and am just now realizing.. i currently have 2 sticks of 8gb @3600 and until i get my new motherboard, i am just hoping to install one of the extra 8gb sticks ive recieved. if this makes any sense?

The only "Identical" sticks come in the same package.
Mixing 2 sets almost always fails on Ryzen platform.
Sell what you have and purchase a kit of the desired speed and capacity you want/need.
Check the odd man out section.

Solution