[SOLVED] I've made a pretty big mistake.

Dec 3, 2021
Hi everyone, so i'm freaking out a bit because my computer just caught smoke after I factory reset it and reinstalled all the old software I had prior to reinstall windows 10. I played a video game for maybe an hour or so with no issues, and then suddenly the computer turned off and I smelt burnt plastic. I immediately turned off the power strip to hopefully prevent further damage. Any help is greatly appreciated, I know ill have to buy new parts after seeing them catch smoke, but I dont want this to happen ever again and need help on preventing it from doing so.
I have a water cooler, maybe the pump didnt turn on? maybe I didnt install the right program and set it up correctly? I have no idea, I didnt make this build and dont know how water cooling works. )):

Solution
because it smells like burnt plastic, it has clear black smudges where it still smells like burnt plastic. Im not saying the GPU is for sure fried, but id take those as a sign its probably not in good condition after overheating to the point it did.

Does corsair cover other parts potentially damaged by their PSU in event of a failure?
I am not totally sure about that but this old post suggests that they are not averse to that. I would establish direct contact with them and see how that pans out. Could be case to case basis depending on the nature of the damage and if it can be conclusively proved that the origin is the PSU(in this case)...
May 21, 2021
It sounds like your power supply got too hot or something. Your CPU will shut your computer off if it exceeds its max temperature, your graphics card also has over-temp failsafes but I’d look at your power supply first. Other than that, what’s your case airflow like? If you have a water cooled cpu then there is no fan directly blowing on the VRM and they might have overheated if your case air flow is lacking.

Reactions: helper800
Dec 3, 2021
It sounds like your power supply got too hot or something. Your CPU will shut your computer off if it exceeds its max temperature, your graphics card also has over-temp failsafes but I’d look at your power supply first. Other than that, what’s your case airflow like? If you have a water cooled cpu then there is no fan directly blowing on the VRM and they might have overheated if your case air flow is lacking.
The airflow has been consistently fine up until I did a factory reset, it has a fan next to the CPU and the water cooler with 2 fans as well. Ive had this desktop for a good year or so now, and never ran into any issues up until I decided to do this. I didnt really observe it while it was running, while I was gaming my volume was pretty high so I didnt even hear the fans if they got loud. Everything was VERY hot when I opened the case. The RAM, CPU, water cooling pumps, GPU, Motherboard, I was scared to touch the power supply because the smoke smelled like it was coming from there.

I couldnt tell ya, the only thing I see on it is a plate that says "RM850x"
That is a good quality PSU, doesnt mean it cant fail though. From your explanation I am assuming you are not very tech savvy and know how to troubleshoot, nor do you have any substitutes to do that. The logical thing to do is to take it to the original builder or a nearby store who can diagnose the issue and narrow it down for you without causing any further damage.

Dec 3, 2021
That is a good quality PSU, doesnt mean it cant fail though. From your explanation I am assuming you are not very tech savvy and know how to troubleshoot, nor do you have any substitutes to do that. The logical thing to do is to take it to the original builder or a nearby store who can diagnose the issue and narrow it down for you without causing further damage.
You would be absolutely right to say that, im not very tech savvy at all. Im getting in contact with the original builder to hopefully find out what I did wrong. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

May 21, 2021
You would be absolutely right to say that, im not very tech savvy at all. Im getting in contact with the original builder to hopefully find out what I did wrong. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
I don’t think you did anything wrong, unless you deleted an fan curves that were set up for your computer, factory resets shouldn’t cause hardware failure, I think it’s just a coincidence that your PSU failed.

Dec 3, 2021
I don’t think you did anything wrong, unless you deleted an fan curves that were set up for your computer, factory resets shouldn’t cause hardware failure, I think it’s just a coincidence that your PSU failed.
I have no clue, Ive talked to so many people and they all agree that the factory reset shouldnt have caused this issue. I had changed nothing on the inside of the case, all I did was cloud download windows and keep personal files.
The real shame is that even with all the failsafes, I think my GPU got fried.

I have no clue, Ive talked to so many people and they all agree that the factory reset shouldnt have caused this issue. I had changed nothing on the inside of the case, all I did was cloud download windows and keep personal files.
The real shame is that even with all the failsafes, I think my GPU got fried.
What makes you think that about the GPU? That PSU comes with a 10yr warranty and is one of Corsair's top quality units...

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/a...rranty#h_fa4f9672-b385-4d1f-81d9-84ab99de9c97
  • RMx Series PSUs have a 10-year warranty

Dec 3, 2021
What makes you think that about the GPU? That PSU comes with a 10yr warranty and is one of Corsair's top quality units...

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/a...rranty#h_fa4f9672-b385-4d1f-81d9-84ab99de9c97
  • RMx Series PSUs have a 10-year warranty
because it smells like burnt plastic, it has clear black smudges where it still smells like burnt plastic. Im not saying the GPU is for sure fried, but id take those as a sign its probably not in good condition after overheating to the point it did.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's the rest of the hardware? Might even be a good idea to mention what the power strip is.

I figure the software did not cause that. The signs were probably already there, but ran undetected by you, and things went to crap coincidentally with the factory reset.

Dec 3, 2021
Well I found the defected part. GPU, unplugged it and everything ran fine. Have jt plugged in, computer goes into safe mode and turns off. Gonna try my 1030 and see if it runs fine that way, hopefully I dont fry another card. The water pump is working now, fans run fine, everything is plugged in correctly as well. Ill keep you guys posted

Well I found the defected part. GPU, unplugged it and everything ran fine. Have jt plugged in, computer goes into safe mode and turns off. Gonna try my 1030 and see if it runs fine that way, hopefully I dont fry another card. The water pump is working now, fans run fine, everything is plugged in correctly as well. Ill keep you guys posted
That could just mean that the GPU was killed by the PSU and the load without it still works fine.

Does corsair cover other parts potentially damaged by their PSU in event of a failure?
I am not totally sure about that but this old post suggests that they are not averse to that. I would establish direct contact with them and see how that pans out. Could be case to case basis depending on the nature of the damage and if it can be conclusively proved that the origin is the PSU(in this case)...

Reactions: helper800
Solution