I've Never built before, should I? - $1k Photoshop

Abouna2

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Well my aging Dell 8400 is acting up. I had planned on a new system anyhow, but this has me on the fast track.

My first question is whether I should really be considering a home built. I'm very tech savvy but have never done a build and am a bit apprehensive about it (I'll need a very clear step-by-step). Should it even be considered in this price range? Should I just simply go the pre-built route?

I just don't know.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: sooner the better!

BUDGET RANGE: $800-1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Photo Editing mostly. NO GAMING. Very good sound card a must.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I only need the computer itself. All peripherals will be reused.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Not picky

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: I'm in the US, or is this asking about the parts origin? In which case I don't care.

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet would be nice. Mostly I'm just looking for very fast photo processing. Don;t care about bling. Care more about room in the case! I think I'd also like to try dual boot XP/Win7 for some of my legacy software.

phibaman

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, keyboard/mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, tiger direct, amazon.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA (california)

PARTS PREFERENCES: CPU Intel i5 750. Asus motherboard. ATI or Nvdiagraphics. Western Digital hard drive.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

I am in the same situation as Abouna2. My laptop just gave up and i am considering building a new pc for $800 - $1K. I have never built a pc either but I should be tech savy enough to figure it out. What kind of tutorial would I need to review to build system to can do some minor web development work (PS and Dreamweaver) and gaming (Starcraf2, MW2, Etc).

I ran across this at tiger direct and wondering if it is a good deal.

Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard and Intel Core i5 750 Processor and Corsair Dominator PC12800 RAM Bundle

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5550834&CatId=4139

If so, what kind of case, cooler fan, heatsink, hard drive, graphics card, etc. would you recommend.

Please advise. Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
For photo editing you don't need a very powerful computer. You need a lot of ram but only average as far as cpu power. You can buy a pre-built computer with these qualities for as cheap or cheaper than you can build one.

You should build your own, IF:
1. you are interested in doing it as a hobby.
2. you want better quality parts than what the manufacturers use.
3. you want performance qualities that pre-builts don't offer.

(To some extent I can answer yes to all 3 of these.)