[SOLVED] I've noticed something weird about my nvme ssd and i don't know how to resolve it

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
So i was getting stutters in my new crucial p2 2tb nvme ssd (and my games ran completely fine in my other nvme drive ) , but I just found out something Really silly, when i ran crystal Disk mark (a benchmarking tool) on my ssd and let it run in the background my games don't stutter anymore , but as soon as i stop crystaldiskmark , the stuttering starts! What?
Does this mean my ssd goes to sleep when it isn't used and that's why my games stutter cause it have to be woken up everytime? , but when i run the benchmark my ssd forced to stay active and i don't get stutters?
Maybe what I'm saying is rubbish and not true , but i swear that's the case, i tested it multiple times and with multiple games, as long as drive stays active, o don't get any stutters

What's the problem here?

Solution
So i was getting stutters in my new crucial p2 2tb nvme ssd (and my games ran completely fine in my other nvme drive ) , but I just found out something Really silly, when i ran crystal Disk mark (a benchmarking tool) on my ssd and let it run in the background my games don't stutter anymore , but as soon as i stop crystaldiskmark , the stuttering starts! What?
Does this mean my ssd goes to sleep when it isn't used and that's why my games stutter cause it have to be woken up everytime? , but when i run the benchmark my ssd forced to stay active and i don't get stutters?
Maybe what I'm saying is rubbish and not true , but i swear that's the case, i tested it multiple times and with multiple games, as long as drive stays active, o don't...

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
Someone else getting stutters on a 2tb Crucial nvme - link - or is that you?
stuttering Crucial drive
another one

What does the Crucial Storage Executive Tool report its health as?
https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive

adata & Crucial nvme are the ones I see most problems with, I don't remember seeing any WD and rarely any Samsung drives causing problems.
Lol that's me too! I'm spamming all the internet, but i can't find any answers, I'm actually going insane trying to troubleshoot this, and my nvmes's health is good according to crucial's app, and crystaldiskifno, etc

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?
is it lag or a stutter?

I did notice you posted same question elsewhere, its why I asked. No reason you can't ask anywhere that might help.
not all of those links are you though, some were last year.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I've installed the nvme myself to my lenovo legion 5 laptop (2060 and i5 10th gen)
is this what you are using?
what is exact model as all of them have codes after such as Y545

if its same result it is likely the motherboard or CPU. Possible BIOS update could fix it.

most lenovo models have support websites with auto driver updates, I would look for the one matching your laptop and see if any new drivers/bios updates.

Last edited:

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
is this what you are using?
what is exact model as all of them have codes after such as Y545

if its same result it is likely the motherboard or CPU. Possible BIOS update could fix it.

most lenovo models have support websites with auto driver updates, I would look for the one matching your laptop and see if any new drivers/bios updates.
It's 81Y6,Yeah I'm completely aware, I've updated my bios and everything but nothing changed, and btw as i said games only and only stutter in this ssd (crucial p2) my games run completely fine on my main nvne ssd which is a wd sn730

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
thats odd but you can run this on the western digital drive - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

is western digital drive in the slot that the Crucial nvme is normally in?

which one is C drive? just curious if you still stutter with only crucial drive installed. Hard to do if its not c drive.
Hey i think my wording made you confused, idk why test says incomplete for wd drive, but my boot ssd is the wd drive it came pre-installed with my laptop, it's a decent ssd but only 256gb, i bought the 2tb crucial p2 and put that on my empty pci slot, i recently replaced both of my nvme drives with eachother and no matter which slot, games only stutter in my crucial nvme drive and when i install any games on my main ssd games don't stutter AT ALL

I installed windows to go with Rufus (live windows on a hard or usb) on my external hdd (for testing) and i realized something even more weird, while I was in the test windows, i installed spiderman and test it on my crucial ssd, and game still had stuttering issue, (i wanted to test a heavy game like spiderman) i changed the power plan from high performance to balanced and the stuttering was gone! and i noticed my ssd graph peaks were significantly smaller, when i change back to high performance the stuttering returned, well i obviously did the same on my main windows but didn't work i even reset the power plan and made a new one, no matter what stutters still happen on my main windows, ik I'm sounding hella confusing, but I'm really losing my mind, i can't understand what can be the problem, (i also noticed the average response time of my nvme ssd gets lowered when i change from high performance to balanced on my test external hdd window)

Colif

Win 11 Master

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
Could try resetting power plans to default on the wd drive
'

Have you run auto update? https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/...imh05h/81y6/downloads/automatic-driver-update
as it could be a driver that is installed on the external but not on ssd.
Yes, I've done that before i also ran the upgrade for vantage, the problem is not that I have the external hdd, that's just a test drive, the problem is my crucial nvme ssd

Colif

Win 11 Master
i was trying to work out why your performance is fine off external hdd but not off the internal ssd. That was thinking behind changing plans. Trying to figure out what the difference is.

Did you test WD drive? I am just wondering if the cause of stutter is it and not the 2tb crucial. Without being able to test the crucial in another PC, we have to make do. I am just looking outside the box.

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
i was trying to work out why your performance is fine off external hdd but not off the internal ssd. That was thinking behind changing plans. Trying to figure out what the difference is.

Did you test WD drive? I am just wondering if the cause of stutter is it and not the 2tb crucial. Without being able to test the crucial in another PC, we have to make do. I am just looking outside the box.
What exactly do you mean by saying did you test the WD drive? I said all games that are installed on WD drive are fine, there's nothing wrong with it, i had a theory that maybe when both of my ssds are used at the same time i get stutter because of pci bottleneck or something like that, but in my test external hdd, i disabled and unistalled the wd drive from device manager but games still stuttered when high performance power plan was enabled (not in balanced as usual) and high response time and spikes as usual in task manager too (for crucial drive) , note that when i talk about my test windows i mean the external hdd that windows is installed on, but my games are installed in my crucial ssd. I think my problem is really obscure, and hard to troubleshoot because of so many variable , it's not something that i can live with either cause it makes all the games unplayable and some times double clicking and opening a file lags too

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
So if you think its the 2tb drive, return it and get another one.

high performance causing stutter on P2
Is that you again?

P2 stutter - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/high-end-pc-wont-stop-stuttering-in-games.3703681/

It might just be that model.
Well returning it is a kinda impossible option for me (for reasons, but I'll try anyway) but that really doesn't explain anything about why i don't get any stutters in certain situations, that reddit post that you linked is really interesting, the closest thing I've seen to my problem sadly it's not really concluded, thanks for your help tho, i think i have to go back to my hdd now :'(

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
i have asked if anyone else has any ideas.

I would try to install windows on the 2tb and see if that makes any difference.
Yeah I'm considering dual booting another windows (or even Linux) on my p2 drive, but it's the slower and more unstable drive, idk if i should switch my os to p2, I'll test it tho

TRENDING THREADS