I've recovered my files from my backup, unsure what to do next (installing SSD)

Erkhm

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
So I've successfully restored my backed up files to my hard drive. My SATA controller is in AHCI mode, I've done a clean install of Windows 7 on my newly installed SSD, so that is the boot drive. I'm wondering if I should recover from my system image that is on my backup drive, or do something else to get my drivers back. I ask this because I'm afraid that recovering my computer from a system image will undo the restoration of my files.

Erkhm

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

My network drivers can't be found by Windows, so I can't download from the Internet. But I do have my motherboard driver disc. I've put the disc into my ext. optical drive, but I can't figure out how to actually install the drivers from that disc.

I wouldn't let Windows install them if they did.

Find the folder listing in Windows Explorer and look for a setup.exe file on the root drive. This will generally serve as a launching platform to install all the drivers .

If you don't find one, drill down into next level of folders

Erkhm

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

I searched all the drives connected to my computer (I have C which is the SSD, the system reserved, which is D, E is my old hard drive now, and then there is F, my external backup drive) and found setup.exe, but when I open it, there's nothing there.

I do have my motherboard driver disc. I've put the disc into my ext. optical drive, but I can't figure out how to actually install the drivers from that disc.

Find the folder listing in Windows Explorer and look for a setup.exe file on the root drive. This will generally serve as a launching platform to install all the drivers .

If you don't find one, drill down into next level of folders

1. Put the driver disc in that optical drive.

2. Open Windows Explorer and look at what is on the CD in the optical drive.

3. Look for a setup.exe in the root folder of the CD.

4. Launch (double click)" the file. It should serve as a launching platform to install all the drivers

5. If not there, drill down and look in side the 2nd level folders.

Erkhm

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Okay, I was able to install the drivers from the disc, it was just a matter of plugging in my dvd drive again. Should I still recover from a system image, even though my files are restored?