Question I've speedrunned the burning of an nvme m.2 SSD Samsung EVO 970 plus. (need advice)

jorgitojr

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
Laptop: ASUS Vivobook X510UR

today i received my SSD EVO 970 plus, i rapidly opened up the laptop to slap it on the m.2 slot thats "appear" to be compatible with,
i screw everything back and start the computer with the USB for formatting it....

screen is in black, and defaults to ubuntu ( The OS on a kingston SATA SSD), something is odd... is taking a while to iniciate, and when i power off to try again to open the USB for formatting.. it takes longer to turn off....
i rest my hand on the laptop keyboard wondering what is happening, when i feel something getting madly hot inside the laptop.

i quickly unscrew everything , unplug the battery, is the EVO 970 plus, i pull it back and i analyze what just happened, i turned back on the laptop without the stick and is running no problem,
as for the SSD, it aint looking good, it gives off the smell of when an Integrated circuit overheated almost to the point of bursting (no circuit appears to be damaged on the surface, but the smell is bad)

¿what happened? on the meantime i called samsung for warranty but i just have no clue about what caused this, the slot looks like an M.2, but i also counted the pins on the shorter edge of the connectors, and there are 6 pins on my laptop compared
to the 6 in the stick.

I dont know men, if someone heres knows something please let me know!, i can summit pictures if you ask for them (but wait for them till tomorrow because am kind of tired and i need to sleep)

anything will be helpful, thanks in advance!

Laptop: ASUS Vivobook X510UR

today i received my SSD EVO 970 plus, i rapidly opened up the laptop to slap it on the m.2 slot thats "appear" to be compatible with,
i screw everything back and start the computer with the USB for formatting it....

screen is in black, and defaults to ubuntu ( The OS on a kingston SATA SSD), something is odd... is taking a while to iniciate, and when i power off to try again to open the USB for formatting.. it takes longer to turn off....
i rest my hand on the laptop keyboard wondering what is happening, when i feel something getting madly hot inside the laptop.

i quickly unscrew everything , unplug the battery, is the EVO 970 plus, i pull it back and i analyze what just happened, i turned back on the laptop without the stick and is running no problem,
as for the SSD, it aint looking good, it gives off the smell of when an Integrated circuit overheated almost to the point of bursting (no circuit appears to be damaged on the surface, but the smell is bad)

¿what happened? on the meantime i called samsung for warranty but i just have no clue about what caused this, the slot looks like an M.2, but i also counted the pins on the shorter edge of the connectors, and there are 6 pins on my laptop compared
to the 6 in the stick.

I dont know men, if someone heres knows something please let me know!, i can summit pictures if you ask for them (but wait for them till tomorrow because am kind of tired and i need to sleep)

anything will be helpful, thanks in advance!
Probably bad connetion along the board power wasn't controled properly along it and it fried.... However if you order the stick online i wouldn't have warrenty if just getting it i would hace asked the retailer to have replaced it. They just supplied a faulty item...

jorgitojr

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
Probably bad connetion along the board power wasn't controled properly along it and it fried.... However if you order the stick online i wouldn't have warrenty if just getting it i would hace asked the retailer to have replaced it. They just supplied a faulty item...

Then is gonna be a a real feat, i am from mexico and over here they gonna fight you tooth and nail to not tank the lose, i have more faith in samsung replacing it for being faulty....

Reactions: white.a.drew