Question I've tried everything

Nov 12, 2020
Hello humans,

I have literally tried almost every way to fix my PC. When I first built my PC a month ago everything worked out fine. However, around the time I switched my monitor from 60hz to 144hz four of my games began to crash. All four of those games crash very consistently. Apex Legends crashes before it gets to the lobby. Spellbreak and R6 Siege crash a minute into actual gameplay. Lastly, Pacify from Steam crashes around ten minutes into the game. For all of these games only the game closes. The PC has never crashed completely. To remedy this, I have:

redownloaded my graphics drivers
restarted my PC
Ran the windows diagnostic on my Ram and it came out clean
updated windows
tried running siege in windows mode
uninstalled all my antivirus apps

I am running:
Ryzen 5 3600x 3.8Ghz
Wraith Stealer Stock Cooler
MSI b550 Gaming Edge(Wifi)
Geforce RTX 2070 (I didnt overclock it)
16gb 3200 RAM
500gb NVME SSD
2TB HD
Powerspec 550 watt 80+ Bronze

Update: Valorant, a game that has always worked, has now stopped working. Doesnt crash but I cant even load the game

Last edited:
When you game, you put more load on the system, which in turn is more load on the PSU. Bad PSU can cause a bunch of different problems, not just BSOD.
Yeah but that would cause the GPU to crash because it wouldn't get enough power and he would get a corresponding message of graphics driver recovered or something like that.
Straight out crash to desktop could be random as well.

Those games do run on all cores and doubling the FPS the system has to render will make all his CPU run at full power and a lot of motherboards have terrible settings including way too high Vcore and under stress it just might be too much.

I would try putting a frame limiter on those games to see if the crashes go down if the CPU is less stressed.

logainofhades

Titan
You do not always get a message, when your PSU is not up to speed. A poor quality PSU is simply a bad idea, period. Especially with the level of hardware they are using. They can die and take your hardware with them. The powerspec golds are ok at best, but the bronze are pretty terrible, quality wise.

Nov 12, 2020
Yeah but that would cause the GPU to crash because it wouldn't get enough power and he would get a corresponding message of graphics driver recovered or something like that.
Straight out crash to desktop could be random as well.

Those games do run on all cores and doubling the FPS the system has to render will make all his CPU run at full power and a lot of motherboards have terrible settings including way too high Vcore and under stress it just might be too much.

I would try putting a frame limiter on those games to see if the crashes go down if the CPU is less stressed.
Unfortunately, I have tried this with some games and it hasnt worked. Also alot of games crash before they even get to the lobby

Nov 12, 2020
You do not always get a message, when your PSU is not up to speed. A poor quality PSU is simply a bad idea, period. Especially with the level of hardware they are using. They can die and take your hardware with them. The powerspec golds are ok at best, but the bronze are pretty terrible, quality wise.
Is there anyway to test if my PSU is the problem

DSzymborski

Titan
Is there anyway to test if my PSU is the problem

ljHz7gs.png

How do I tell if a psu is good quality in the future?

Research the brand and model. It's usually easy to tell by price and warranty length. If it's under 5 year warranty it is not one that should be used with a gaming computer setup. Here is an example of warranties for EVGA models https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/ The lower length warranties are OK for basic use systems, anything that will need higher power draw should start with those models with a 5-10 yr warranty.

Nov 12, 2020
Research the brand and model. It's usually easy to tell by price and warranty length. If it's under 5 year warranty it is not one that should be used with a gaming computer setup. Here is an example of warranties for EVGA models https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/ The lower length warranties are OK for basic use systems, anything that will need higher power draw should start with those models with a 5-10 yr warranty.
ok imma get the Corsair RM750x

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
You 'could' get a 750w one, but do keep in mind then when you wanna upgrade the system again, you'll likely end up with having to get a new psu again, f.e, the 3080 asks for a 750watt as bare minimum. If you, like me, have lots of extra stuff in your pc, you might wanna think of getting an 850w or maybe 1000w psu so youre set for the future.

But thank you for this topic, you've let me know, that i might expect some problems too when buying the new monitor i want, which is 165hz.. Still I think my psu can handle it, but like others have let me realized, my mobo isnt the best..

But we will see what the future brings, when i upgrade to that new monitor :)

Nov 12, 2020
You 'could' get a 750w one, but do keep in mind then when you wanna upgrade the system again, you'll likely end up with having to get a new psu again, f.e, the 3080 asks for a 750watt as bare minimum. If you, like me, have lots of extra stuff in your pc, you might wanna think of getting an 850w or maybe 1000w psu so youre set for the future.

But thank you for this topic, you've let me know, that i might expect some problems too when buying the new monitor i want, which is 165hz.. Still I think my psu can handle it, but like others have let me realized, my mobo isnt the best..

But we will see what the future brings, when i upgrade to that new monitor :)
the next big upgrade will prob be in 5 yrs so i think ill be fine

Nov 12, 2020
Thank you everyone in this thread. I think I will either get a Corsair 750x or 850x. In addition, I will also get a "be quiet Shadow Rock 3" cpu cooler. I might get more cpu fans as well just to keep the temp down. If problems then keep happening then i think ill just be <Mod Edit> lol. THANK YOU EVERYONE

Last edited by a moderator:

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Thank you everyone in this thread. I think I will either get a Corsair 750x or 850x. In addition, I will also get a "be quiet Shadow Rock 3" cpu cooler. I might get more cpu fans as well just to keep the temp down. If problems then keep happening then i think ill just be <Mod Edit> lol. THANK YOU EVERYONE

Best to go for the 850w, especially since your planning to upgrade again in 5 years. Like i said, 750w is the bare minimum for a 3080 as of today, with 650 for the 3070. In 5 years, it might be that even a xx60 card will require 750 or more :)