Question I've Tried Everything

SenatorLeopold

Reputable
Jan 10, 2017
I have a relatively new PC. I built it about 1 year ago. I have an issue with crashing when I am playing just about any video game. It will run steady enough for an hour or two before all 3 monitors freeze and audio stops soon after and I have to force shut down the system. I have multiple years of computer repair experience and have done every troubleshooting and tried to fix every issue I have ever seen.
  1. Used DDU to reinstall drivers multiple times
  2. Done Nvidia "clean installs" with the drivers
  3. Moved the crashing games between different drives (Samsung 970 EVO, Crucial 250GB SSD, WD BLUE 1TB, 2TB Seagate Barracuda) and they crash no matter which one they are installed on.
  4. Verified local files, and re-downloaded games multiple times.
  5. Reformatted every drive and reinstalled Windows and the games
  6. Done GPU stress testing with no issues
  7. RAM passed MemTest86x and 64x
  8. Drive SMART data is fine on every single drive
  9. There is no thermal issue with any component
  10. Have run games with different combinations of monitors connected
I have no idea what else to do, I have also taken the computer into my old repair shop and had my coworkers look at and they could find nothing that solved the issue. If I can't figure out what is going on I will probably scrap this computer and get a whole new system.

• ASUS ROG B450-f
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Corsair Vengance RGB 16gb kit clocked at 2666mhz
  • Listed Drives
  • EVGA 800w Gold Cert PSU
  • RTX 2070 super
  • i probably forgot something so feel free to ask

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Well, if you've done a clean install of Windows, chances are it's a hardware issue.

Just to make sure though, what GPU do you have? You didn't list one.

If it's Nvidia, then it shouldn't be a driver issue (but could potentially be a hardware issue)

If it's AMD it definitely could be a driver issue (at which point you can try installing an earlier driver) but could be a hardware issue as well.

Have you tried updating the BIOS to the latest version? This is important for Ryzen systems since there are a lot of issues out of the box that get fixed over time with BIOS updates.

Have you made sure you installed the latest chipset drivers for the CPU? This is also quite important.

Have you checked Windows event viewer to see if there are any reports from there that might pertain to the crashing?

It's possible to have RAM pass memtest but still fail over a certain period of time when under load. Can be caused by faulty RAM, faulty slots, faulty CPU memory controller or improperly seated CPU, improperly seated memory.

Same can be said about the CPU if something isn't quite right, or not seated properly.

Could be an issue with the motherboard as a whole, or with the PCIe slot (if it ends up being GPU related) and you can try a different PCIe slot just to check that.

You can take into consideration these different things but please do give info on the exact GPU you have thanks.

SenatorLeopold

Reputable
Jan 10, 2017
Well, if you've done a clean install of Windows, chances are it's a hardware issue.

Just to make sure though, what GPU do you have? You didn't list one.

If it's Nvidia, then it shouldn't be a driver issue (but could potentially be a hardware issue)

If it's AMD it definitely could be a driver issue (at which point you can try installing an earlier driver) but could be a hardware issue as well.

Have you tried updating the BIOS to the latest version? This is important for Ryzen systems since there are a lot of issues out of the box that get fixed over time with BIOS updates.

Have you made sure you installed the latest chipset drivers for the CPU? This is also quite important.

Have you checked Windows event viewer to see if there are any reports from there that might pertain to the crashing?

It's possible to have RAM pass memtest but still fail over a certain period of time when under load. Can be caused by faulty RAM, faulty slots, faulty CPU memory controller or improperly seated CPU, improperly seated memory.

Same can be said about the CPU if something isn't quite right, or not seated properly.

Could be an issue with the motherboard as a whole, or with the PCIe slot (if it ends up being GPU related) and you can try a different PCIe slot just to check that.

You can take into consideration these different things but please do give info on the exact GPU you have thanks.
I have an RTX 2070 super and a hardware issue would probably be my best guess. I have done alot of stress testing with the GPU and when I am running games the performance graphs from MSI Afterburner look normal(I have also tried underclocking with no success). The bios was on an old version when this started and I have updated it with no success. I am not sure about chipset drivers, I will look into that. The only thing that windows event viewer gives me is a critical error about an unexpected shutdown after I force shutdown the computer. I know the RAM and CPU are seated properly so I might try only 1 RAM stick and then switch them to see what happens. I think it is probably a faulty motherboard but have no real way to tell other than intuition. It is also a pain to test other motherboards because I have to takr the whole thing apart

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I have an RTX 2070 super and a hardware issue would probably be my best guess. I have done alot of stress testing with the GPU and when I am running games the performance graphs from MSI Afterburner look normal(I have also tried underclocking with no success). The bios was on an old version when this started and I have updated it with no success. I am not sure about chipset drivers, I will look into that. The only thing that windows event viewer gives me is a critical error about an unexpected shutdown after I force shutdown the computer. I know the RAM and CPU are seated properly so I might try only 1 RAM stick and then switch them to see what happens. I think it is probably a faulty motherboard but have no real way to tell other than intuition. It is also a pain to test other motherboards because I have to takr the whole thing apart
I don't see how you can not be sure about chipset drivers.
If you've done a clean install of Windows you have to install them yourself. They aren't something Windows installs on its own.

SenatorLeopold

Reputable
Jan 10, 2017
I don't see how you can not be sure about chipset drivers.
If you've done a clean install of Windows you have to install them yourself. They aren't something Windows installs on its own.
I have the chipset drivers installed, this is an error that csgo gives that sometimes results in a crash but sometimes doesn't. No other applications give any error in Event Viewer other that an unexpected shutdows

Faulting application name: csgo.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f85dfee
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x197b16c5
Exception code: 0xc06d007f
Fault offset: 0x0012a842
Faulting process id: 0x2a60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f0155ac183e3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: cdead471-57a6-4c56-bb48-9cb5fb4e83c5
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

(Edit) CS:GO crash logs don't say anything