Ivy Bridge-based MacBook Pro and iMac Benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Wow, the iMac's CPU is now faster than my hexa-cored Xeon Mac Pro. (...but at least I can quite simply upgrade the drives in mine). ...and my 2011 15" MacBook Pro, capable as it is, can barely be in the same room as the new Ivy Bridge models I'm sure. Oh...isn't technology fun. :heink:

G

A 20% bump in performance going to Sandy Bridge on the mobile side. That is a pretty big deal and doesn't even get into the GPU improvements. That is probably going to be a big winner for Apple when you add their support for Thunderbolt.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I don't see why this would be any different than other Ivy-Bridge based OEM machines.[/citation]
All those other machines are running Windows, though, for those of us that run OS X as well it's interesting...kinda...sorta.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]And still 4-5 times higher then their PC counterparts.[/citation]
quality hardware has it's price...stop being cheap....i could care less for apple software, but they do a really good job when it comes to their hardware development

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]quality hardware has it's price...stop being cheap....i could care less for apple software, but they do a really good job when it comes to their hardware development[/citation]

You realize that most of what they "develop" is the chassis, and in some cases, board layout(I like the monobody lt chassis), they are using the same components as every other oem (dell, HP, Gateway, etc), with intel procs. It is assembled by foxconn (again, just like many other oems).

"You get what you pay for" doesnt apply to a company turning this much profit, and wanting value out of the items you purchase does not make you cheap.

I have a couple macs for work, and I don't have any real issues, personal or technical, with the systems; but i would never buy one for personal use. Sager gets my vote for laptops.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Wow, the iMac's CPU is now faster than my hexa-cored Xeon Mac Pro. (...but at least I can quite simply upgrade the drives in mine). ...and my 2011 15" MacBook Pro, capable as it is, can barely be in the same room as the new Ivy Bridge models I'm sure. Oh...isn't technology fun.[/citation]
You can always stop buying technology.:)

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]quality hardware has it's price...stop being cheap....i could care less for apple software, but they do a really good job when it comes to their hardware development[/citation]

They do not develop any relevant hardware.... it is all the same junk from China and Taiwan. I would rather see benchmarks comparison between apple stuff on their and Windows OS + benches against "regular" non-apple PC.
The only thing worth a damn with their name on it is the screens, even though once again they do not produce them.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]xXmjzXx[/nom]lol yeah i am a "troll" not.... i am speaking the truth mac= joke!over priced trash.[/citation]
One man's aluminum is another man's trash. Okay.

vntr00

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Wouldn't one expect a higher score on a desktop machine than a laptop or are these benchmarks customized for different form factors?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]vntr00[/nom]Wouldn't one expect a higher score on a desktop machine than a laptop or are these benchmarks customized for different form factors?[/citation]
Looks like the Pro may have the superior cpu, unless I'm mistaken.

vntr00

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Both integer and float performance are slightly lower on MBP but it excels on memory tests compared to iMac. Not sure I get it.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[ci[citation][nom]xXmjzXx[/nom]lol yeah i am a "troll" not.... i am speaking the truth mac= joke!over priced trash.[/citation]Overpriced? Yes. Trash? I don't see it. It does what it's advertised to do, and they ain't hiding the price in the fine print. Not a Mac user myself and the price premium will keep it that way, but vertical integration has its advantages for non-technical users.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]They do not develop any relevant hardware.... it is all the same junk from China and Taiwan. I would rather see benchmarks comparison between apple stuff on their and Windows OS + benches against "regular" non-apple PC. The only thing worth a damn with their name on it is the screens, even though once again they do not produce them.[/citation]
It is easier to ask what is not made in China and Taiwan. Most PC parts and electronics are made there as well. Not sure that that is even relevant. Farming out things like the displays are done by many companys...again not really relevant. You can't even hardly benchmark between the two and make a legitimate comparison. All it really boils down it is I would rather use my PC than a Mac and or the cost is not worth it to me.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
There are a few things that aren't on the spec sheet that some people will want and others won't. The biggest factor for me is the touchpad, which is simply fantastic on the new MacBooks. I use the back and forward gestures in Chrome and the 2 finger scrolling all the time. There's also the ambient light sensor and backlit keyboard which most laptops that are often compared with MacBooks also lack. For people that don't mind lacking some of that functionality, Windows makes much more sense, but for people that really enjoy features that are only (well) implemented on MacBooks, an OS X laptop fits better. It's really a personal preference, like comparing a Corvette against a Lexus sedan. One runs faster and the other rides nicer. It's a preference.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
quality hardware has it's price...stop being cheap....i could care less for apple software, but they do a really good job when it comes to their hardware development

Surely making laptops without accessible batteries and lacking standard connectivity is very impressive hardware development.That is why I bought for half the price an Asus that can run circles around a top of the line Apple laptop.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Surely making laptops without accessible batteries and lacking standard connectivity is very impressive hardware development.That is why I bought for half the price an Asus that can run circles around a top of the line Apple laptop.[/citation]
Well, come to think of it, I have no problem with taking my Mac in to have its battery replaced after 1,000 charge cycles...if it needs it. I know you're just trolling and dislike Apple and all that but they make a nice workstation and they make a nice laptop. Hell, admit it or not, without the MacBook Air there would be no Ultrabooks. Without the iPad I could say the same for tablets.

I'm not saying their stuff is the best, because I don't necessarily believe that...but OS X is solid and they make good hardware...even if they charge a bit too much for it.

...you know, as I think about it...let's go back to the MacBook Pro's battery you started this with. Its actually quite easy to have replaced. There's multiple Apple stores near me...all I have to do is drop it off and have the battery replaced for another 1,000+ charge cycles. I. Am. Not. Complaining.

Yes, I could order a Sager laptop with a faster CPU and GPU (and maybe an equivalent screen) but it wouldn't cost significantly less, if less at all and I doubt it's chassis would have the rigidity of the MacBook Pro. The keyboard? Well I guess that's preference, but I like the MBP's backlit chiclets.

No, I'm not saying Apple laptops are the best, but they're good, and they're certainly better than a lot of the Apple-hating teenage trolls here give them credit for being. I was working on some reports one afternoon recently at Starbucks and was kind of embarrassed that there were so many people with a MacBook Pro (because I was using mine there too). 13", 15", and 1 or 2 17". Yes, there were some Dells and HPs, but the number of MacBook Pro's on hand was almost disturbing. I know my 2 MacBook Pros are solid and capable machines (my 15" is downright pretty decent...and no, it doesn't have a gaming-GPU...just midrange piece but the 1680x1050 screen is gorgeous)...and I can't imagine everyone else's MacBook Pro's are a piece of garbage. They're not gaming machines, but nor are they meant to be...but they can game just fine (at least mine can)...even at its native resolution I can play Metro, in a VM and still have an enjoyable experience.

If you don't like Apple that's fine, just don't buy them. ...but from what I can see it looks like a lot of folks are voting with their wallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS