Ivy bridge-E vs Haswell

MooG1337

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
Hey guys

Im looking to refresh my machine this month and doing some research.

Right now I'm running LGA 1155 with an intel 3570K and an Asus P8Z68 Vpro mobo which has served me very well so far, no real reason to upgrade other than I will be using my old parts to build a computer for work and will use the new parts for my personal computer.

So LGA 2011 has always intrigued me but the price has always been out of my reach.

Right now I'm comparing Haswell cpu's and Ivy bridge-e cpu's and their prices seem to be pretty much dead even. Same with the mother boards.

Sooooo my question is, would there be any reason to go for a Haswell chip instead of an Ivy bridge-E chip?

I know the LGA 2011 motherboards are much more feature rich, so please tell me if I'm missing something.

MooG1337

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
Yea I was reading up on that as well.

But those will probably be wildly expensive when they are anounced. Especially DDR4.

Or is there any reason to think otherwise?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Thats interesting. Doesnt sound like its worth upgrading from my 2500k yet.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Thats great, thanks for posting the results. Yeah theres other reasons to upgrade as you say, but raw performance doesnt seem to be one of them.

MooG1337

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
Yea, I'm not really expecting much of a performance bump as far as the CPU with either route since my current setup is already plenty fast.

The most demanding task that I give my computer is gaming, I don't really do any editing or anything like that.

But like I said before, this upgrade won't directly be coming out of my pocket so If I can get some better hardware for free, then why the heck not.

The biggest difference I'm seeing between the two paths are mostly motherboard/chipset related. Much better specs compared to my aging Z68 chipset. I'm especially looking forward to sata express, msata, more usb 3.0 and more pci express lanes.

DDR4 sounds awesome but like I said before, I'm affraid they will be much more expensive than DDR3 at first, we will have to wait and see.

To summarize, at the moment I won't see much benefit from more cores but the reason why I'm leaning towards more cores is more aimed toward future proofing. Multi threaded applications will probably be much more common in the coming 1-3 years.

Oh and I never really do much overclocking, but I always get unlocked CPU just to keep my options open.

Intel has actually got 3 different LGA 2011 layouts. It's as confusing as heck. But none of them are compatible, or interchangeable or anything. Intel just chose to make life as hard as possible for those wanting LGA 2011 processors and motherboards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7773/intels-three-versions-of-socket-2011-not-compatible

I guess that is a personal thing and depends on what you currently have and what you need your next rig to do.

MooG1337

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
I agree,

after allot more reading I've decided to just stick with the LGA1150 platform instead of moving to LGA2011.

I much prefer the Z97 chipset in comparison to the currently available X79 for the lga2011. The X99 will have similar features to the Z97 but nothing that I really need so I can't really justify the price difference.