Ivy bridge question

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I have a q9550 Core 2 quad OC'D to 3.4ghz,
i been considering upgrading to a new processor and have been following the new
Ivy bridge processors that just released. My question more or less would i see a gigantic
improvement over what i have now?

I have the above processor i mentioned,
and a Nvidia GTX 680

I won't mention any other parts because if i do upgrade, well i would
be getting a new mobo and ram as well.

Just wantin to see opinions on whether or not it is a worthy upgrade,
Mostly because i am already running games at their highest settings (except one)
which is namely witcher 2 lol (battlefield 3 i can tho, weird)

p.s. I mainly play games and love to run them at highest settings XD

willzzz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
If you are happy with your current frame rates, then don't worry. I would suspect you can go higher since you already have a great graphics card, but a quite old CPU. But if you are happy with current performance why bother?

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Its more of wanting to have a good build for future titles coming out. I know currently my pc can demolish most games i have, but i know that won't be true for future titles.

Right now currently, im pretty sure i can wait and save up.

really more curious about how much better the new processors are versus my
core 2 quad (quite old... lol)

In processor dependant games i can already see a reduction in performance

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Don't know much about AMD processors but I agree with willzzz.

I have a GTX680 with a i7 3770k... but I was upgrading from a 1.86 Ghz Intel duel Core... 5 years old. if you can run everything fine now you should be good until the Haswell processors next year which will likely see better improvements.

InvalidError

Titan

I wouldn't worry too much about that until you actually hit a brick wall with that hypothetical future game since the market may change quite a bit by then. CPUs have hit a per-core performance plateau that hasn't changed much over the past six years and progress in game threading is slow so C2Q should remain viable for a while longer since games are stuck within those constraints.

Unless you are doing things that are bogging your C2Q down more than you'd like, I'd wait.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hey Vos17, Ivy would obviously give a performance increase but, the 1155 socket will stop you from any CPU upgrades in the future. If you can hold out one year until Haswell - at least that 1150 socket would allow for a CPU upgrade for the next CPU at 14nm.

InvalidError

Titan

I personally never got to the point of wanting to upgrade a CPU within its socket market life. Since the OP is still using a C2Q and skilled two generations of i3/5/7 sockets already, he would probably end up skipping the whole LGA1150 product cycle if he upgraded to LGA1155.