Status
Not open for further replies.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hello. From what I hear the release date for Ivy Bridge is the 23rd of April, so about a week away. I have a phemon ii x4 that I was going to upgrade to a 15 2500k but I was told I should hold of a couple of months for the ivys. So there is my questions. Well, I am unsure what to get. I suppose I want to get the ivy version of whatever is closet to the 2500k, but I am not sure what that is. I was told that they ivy's will be around the same price as the sandy's, is this correct? My last question would be, are the ivy's a 1155 socket? If so, will I be able to buy any mobo that is a 1155 socket and have it work fine? Thanks for you help, I just want to make sure I make an educated purchase.

Solution
The Z75 lacks Smart Response Technology (google it) and only support a single x16 slot or dual x8 PCI slots.

There's also an H77. While this one has the Smart Response, it doesn't allow for overclocking or dual GPU config, so I would skip this one, even if you don't plan to OC, right away. Better safe than sorry.

I would say: Go with the cheapest Z77 motherboard you can find, if money is an issue.
The closest Ivy Bridge Chip to the 2500K would be the 3570K.

They will have an MSRP around the same as the existing Sandybridge chips but supply issues may push prices up initially. Intel is usually pretty good at meeting demand though

The Ivy Bridge chips are debuting on socket 1155 at first and it will work on some Intel 6 series chipsets (but not all). However, I recommend that you get an Intel 7 series chipset at the same time as these supersede the 6 series and have full comparability for all of the features offered by Ivy Bridge while 6 series boards may not

Quick Edit: The X79 chipset is very similar to the new H/Z 75 and 77 chipsets but is socket 2011, not 1155.

redeemer

Distinguished
Yes wait a little longer, Ivy Bridge uses the 1155 socket but you want to get a Z77 chipset motherboard along with it. An i5 based ivy bridge wil be a huge upgrade from what your running now. Pricing will be similar to sandybrige

welshmousepk

Distinguished
at the moment, its looking like ivy will not be much of an improvement. I would still say wait though, as you will certainly get a 2500k cheaper after ivy launches.

Don't get me wrong, i will almost certainly be getting an ivy chip. but for 90 percent of users I don't think it will be worth getting over a sandy bridge chip.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

So, when you say intel 7 series, you mean the Z77 chipset that redeemer mentioned?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I totally get that. But I am not going from a sandy to an ivy, Im going from a phenom ii to an ivy, which should be a pretty decent upgrade.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks so much for your help so far. If you could I have one more question. I am on a bit of a budget, so could you possibly recommend a cheap or perhaps the cheapest mobo that will allow me to talk full advantage of the ivy cpu? I am assuming I need a Z75 or Z77 chipset mobo, but I dont know the difference between them.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
The Z75 lacks Smart Response Technology (google it) and only support a single x16 slot or dual x8 PCI slots.

There's also an H77. While this one has the Smart Response, it doesn't allow for overclocking or dual GPU config, so I would skip this one, even if you don't plan to OC, right away. Better safe than sorry.

I would say: Go with the cheapest Z77 motherboard you can find, if money is an issue.

Solution

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts