Ivy Bridge VS Haswell (3570k VS 4670k)

IRyannHD

Distinguished
Haswell is faster, more powerful than ivy bridge, it is the newer line of processors. If you have the budget go for a 4th gen CPU like the 4670k or the 4770k and like jacob said they have different sockets, for a 4th gen cpu, they use 1150 sockets so you will need a Z87 motherboard.

Good way to put it. The sockets are also different, the Ivy-Bridge CPUs are LGA1155, and the Haswell CPUs are LGA1150. The Ivy-Bridge CPUs are better in OCing from what I've heard though, but that's about it.

I'd say that unless you wanted to re-do your entire build, no. The Ivy-Bridge CPUs aren't bad, they will still give great perfomance with today's games, but at this point most of them are not as future proof as the Haswell stuff.

IRyannHD

Distinguished

Agreed, to upgrade your CPU you will need a new mobo as well + reinstalling the heatsink with new brackets, a waste of time and money.

You have an ivy bridge, don't upgrade to haswell.
Not worth the money.
You will gain ~10% performance and a bit of extra overclockability at the cost of a new proc and mobo.
Wait for broadwell, see what they are about.
I doubt your ivy bridge is making you suffer.

justcallmetom13

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

Alright, I'll take your word.
Why Broadwell be a worthy upgrade? How much better is it?

justcallmetom13

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

I have a i5-3570k.
Okay, so I won't upgrade the processor.
It'd be pretty cool if I have one Ivy Bridge PC and one Haswell PC though. Maybe I'll build a PC every time a new architecture comes out.

justcallmetom13

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

leeb2013

Honorable
pointless to upgrade for the cost of a new mobo and CPU, plus the hassle. Haswell offers slightly more performance, approx. like Ivy+200MHz. Ivy is also generally easier to overclock by approx. 200MHz or so. So almost no difference.

But, if you're like me and like to investigate things, then go for it. I'm currently swapping my i5-3570k (which is awesome) for the Xeon E3-1230-V2!

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

No, that is incorrect. Haswell was also a rather big upgrade in a architecture-point-of-view on the CPU side aswell.

millwright

Distinguished

I think we were talking about performance, not architecture, and the biggest change in performance was graphics.

I think we all know it went to 22nm, among other architecture changes.

leeb2013

Honorable

The o/c varies from CPU to CPU, but mine easily hit 4.4GHz @ 1.14v, max temps of 60C with the Coolermaster evo. Performance boost is effectively the same as the o/c, about 20-25% at 4.4GHz.

I had to go up to 1.25v to hit 4.7GHz, which creates much more heat, so wasn't worth it, 4.4GHz was a good compromise.

I've recently changed to the Xeon E3-1230-V2 (straight swap) and I'm very pleased with it's performance at stock clocks (3.5GHz), which generally exceeds my I5 @ 4.4GHz as it has hyperthreading, but cost slightly less. This might be another one to consider.

justcallmetom13

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

Is there any noticeable difference when doing every day things?