Ivy bridge vs Haswell

Zoddy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I was and still am out of the loop on hardware specs for about 6 years now, lack of free time to dedicate myself to it unfortunately and i am getting a new rig.

With all that being said i need you tech savvy people that stayed in the loop to please answer me this:
i5-4670K (from what i gathered it is Haswell architecture) vs i5-3570K (Ivy bridge if i am not wrong), what's difference in performance if any ? Is there something i should be aware of ? Basic specs are the same. Price tag difference is like 10$ so that does not matter. If i go for Haswell which z87 motherboard to choose ? Same question goes for IB MoBo. Budget for motherboard is ~150ish, but can be pushed higher if really really needed. For now i do not plan to overclock, but i will once need arises in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
They are both very similar chips. Some important things to consider about Haswell based architecture. Haswell is Intel first really big push towards the mobile market such as laptops much to the anguish of desktop users. This means that there are improvements to things that aren't of much benefit to desktop users for instance it has a more powerful iteration of onboard graphics and is designed to consume less power even though it has a higher maximum TDP.

Haswell doesn't overclock as well, but you might get unlucky with your 3570K and get a poor overclocker. Of course there's always that factor, that some chips just don't overclock as well because they were further from the centre of the wafer, but overall, Haswell doesn't overclock as...

Hazy125

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
They are both very similar chips. Some important things to consider about Haswell based architecture. Haswell is Intel first really big push towards the mobile market such as laptops much to the anguish of desktop users. This means that there are improvements to things that aren't of much benefit to desktop users for instance it has a more powerful iteration of onboard graphics and is designed to consume less power even though it has a higher maximum TDP.

Haswell doesn't overclock as well, but you might get unlucky with your 3570K and get a poor overclocker. Of course there's always that factor, that some chips just don't overclock as well because they were further from the centre of the wafer, but overall, Haswell doesn't overclock as well.

That being said, there is a 5-7% increase in performance between the Ivy and the Haswell in favour of the Haswell. If you want the better stock performance than Haswell is definitely the way to go, but if you are a capable overclocker it usually isn't much of a task to get the 3570K up to par.

Finally, one of the better things about Haswell CPU's are the 1150 motherboards, the newer boards are absolutely fantastic and you will finds many interesting colour chemes and features that you won't find on the Ivy based boards.

I would suggest going with Haswell overall because of the motherboards really. The difference in performance for a desktop(especially if you're getting a discrete GPU) is negligible and easily corrected with some overclocking.

-Member of the Intel Response Squad http://bit.ly/IntelRally

Solution

Zoddy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for all the replies till now!

I gotta ask now one more thing. Is there a processor near in price to i5-4670K that is better than it ? In its price range (+/- 50$). Yes intel only, no AMD please. Also, for Haswell can i get a MoBo suggestion here or do i need to go to an appropriate sub-forum ?

Gaidax

Distinguished

http://ark.intel.com/products/75055/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1240-v3-8M-Cache-3_40-GHz

This is basically I7-4770 without the (useless) integrated graphics for 250$

The performance between the two is small and isn't worth the premium as far the cpu is concerned but the sata 3 only helps with the ssd. i5 K edition if any thing but a cheap SB system will do pretty good except for the older boards but very easy to oc to 4.5-5ghz unlike IB or Haswell. P models are the ones without the igp sucking power and helps with the thermals but still limited to 4.4-4.8ghz max with a lot of effort. Avoid anything amd in the mainstream and high end for obvious reasons.