Ivy bridge w/ z68 or z77?

noideawhatimdoing

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Thinking of buying the new i7-3770 ivy bridge and I have a p8z68 deluxe/gen3 mobo.

Am I going to lose out on some features if I don't have the newer boards like the z77?

Thanks.

No not really... and unless you have a Sandy Bridge CPU to update your BIOS its gonna be more worth it to get a 2700K since the difference is little and in my opinion not worth justifying the extra money for it. So 2700K/2600K and skip a BIOS update and keep your current board

Even if you want to get a z77 board anyways some people still have to do BIOS updates... so.... Still Z77 and SB

noideawhatimdoing

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

You can always grab a Sandy bridge from a friend or maybe a local tech shop and update bios or buy a bios chip for like $15 for your board though right. Kind of a hassle but ivy bridge a 6% increase and overclocking it will make it fly and i have a H100 so not worried about overheating. So you say not really? That I won't be missing out on much? So I am still missing out on something then, even if it is insignificant? I'm curious to what that is.

InvalidError

Titan

The main problem with z68 + IB is having an up-to-date BIOS that can boot IB, which out-of-the-box z68 motherboards may not have unless they are newer production units with newer factory-installed BIOS. Older boards in warehouses would need to get booted on SB first for BIOS update prior to installing an IB CPU. With a z77-generation chipset, you know for sure the BIOS supports IB out-of-the-box.

noideawhatimdoing

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

K, that's great and all but no one is really answering the question.