Ivy Bridge

WilliamP

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I am planning a new computer. I am going to purchase a piece at a time. I am considering the 1155 socket Z68 MB. I just want to be sure that the Ivy Bridge CPU will work with it. It is had to figure what Intel will be doing down the road. From what I have found on the web it will, but I would like to get a better idea how far the 1155 will go. I would appreciate any information.

jimmysmitty is mostly correct. However, for full feature support, you need to buy a P67 or Z68 board that specifically has PCIe 3.0 built in. Those are few and far between right now.

Also, when Ivy Bridge comes out, new chipsets will too (the 75 and 77 series). Those will have full feature support, and will be LGA 1155 like current P67/Z68 boards.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Getting piece by piece is not that good. By the time you finish getting all your parts, some will be outdated. Its ok starting with case, fan, monitor, power supply, keyboard, mouse, speakers and HDD, but you need to get memory, motherboard, cpu, videocard and ssd all at once

Ivy bridge will increase speed, but is it worth waiting 6 months? At firtst glance, the new chipsets wont give anyting new thats important. Get an i5 now. Unless you are waiting for SSD prices to drop more...

Except, strangley, LGA775 which was put out in June of 2004 and was not retired until Nehalem came out in November of 2009. A little over 5 years.

but for the most part this is right and honestly I prefer Intel trying to utilize every aspect of a CPU by having the best power layout for the socket and such instead of trying to rearrange the CPU for the socket and cutting features.

I have seen a slide that stated that SB-E will come with 3 levels of chipsets and the highest end will still include PCIe 3.0. Can't remember where though. As for Ivy Bridge, it will have the H/P7 series chipsets and I haven't seen anything about PCIe 3.0 support but then again there is no info on them yet.

Besides, a PCIe 2.0 x8 bus is not even saturated by a single GPU let alone a PCIe 2.0 x16. Only quad CFX/tri SLI would benefit from PCIe 3.0 if at all.