Iwill KK-266R Problems

G

I just built a new system with an Iwill KK-266R mobo and Athlon 1.4GHz. The system has only been running for 1-2 months, and I've already had 3 instances of my boot sector becoming corrupted or wiped out. I've virus scanned everything in sight. On the last instance, the computer was running great, then the cursor got a little sticky and locked. When I rebooted, NTLDR (Win2k SP2) was missing or corrupted. I replaced that from the CD (which had saved me once before), then found out that \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM was corrupted. I searched for it in DOS, tried replacing it with the SYSTEM.ALT. No soap. I had first tried repairing using the ERD, but that wouldn't work. I would up having to wipe the C:, restore from Drive Image, then restore from Datakeeper.

I have updated to the newest BIOS (no thanks to TC Computers who sold me the chip/mobo bundle without bothering to flash the BIOS to a verion supporting 1.4Ghz), the newest VIA 4-1, and newest AMI RAID driver. All of these were obtained from the Iwill website.

This is my first experience with Iwill, and with RAID. I have not been pleased. I'm wondering if I have a bad HD controller, or if this RAID is squirrely. I'm running 2 identical Quantum Fireball AS 40's on one RAID 0, and a WD 2 single as another RAID 0. The two 40's are the boot. I've noticed that the volumes are fragmenting much worse than I'd expect for FAT32. Has anyone else had this problem, or do you have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Lloyd

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I very much doubt that your motherboard is at fault. It's either your hard drive(s) or Windowze. I bet one or more of your *.sys files in your \WINNT\system32\drivers\ folder is causing your SYSTEM file to mess up. The best solution is to completely wipe out and format your HDD (or the partition where Windoze is installed) and reinstall Windowze <i>without</i> using Drive Image or Datakeeper after.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

Thanks for your reply! This was originally a clean install of W2k. You could very possibly be right. But if I go through the grief of the clean install again, I'm inclined to do it with different non-RAID hardware. I've bult several PC's and owned more, and I've never had anything approaching this degree of instability. This includes multi-boot systems with 98, NT4, W2k, ME, OS2, you name it. I plan to call both TC and Iwill tommorrow with very pointed questions.

Lloyd