'Jack PC' Mimics Wall Outlet, Looks Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hooray, you're ~5 years late. A Polish computer magazine already mentioned these half a decade back.

blazeorangeman

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
just get a cloud and get over it...this is like running CAT6 cable throughout your house to realize that Wireless is right around the corner

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hmmm. Not really sure what good use those could have.
Not dissing on them, per say, but I don't really see any practical application for them. Im sure someone might have a use for them, though.
Just because you can make something really really small, doesnt mean you should. But to each there own I guess.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]blazeorangeman[/nom]just get a cloud and get over it...this is like running CAT6 cable throughout your house to realize that Wireless is right around the corner[/citation]
What are you going to connect to the cloud to? This is a terminal client, it doesn't run anything locally. Nothing says the server you connect to has to be in the building, it could be remote, and you connect over the internet. That's kinda the whole idea of cloud computing, isn't it?

And don't forget, Cat6 gets you gigabit, you'll be lucky if you get 400mbps with your Wireless-N router sitting a foot from your computer.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]What are you going to connect to the cloud to? This is a terminal client, it doesn't run anything locally. Nothing says the server you connect to has to be in the building, it could be remote, and you connect over the internet. That's kinda the whole idea of cloud computing, isn't it?And don't forget, Cat6 gets you gigabit, you'll be lucky if you get 400mbps with your Wireless-N router sitting a foot from your computer.[/citation] Not to mention there are certain security implications you have to worry about with wireless.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You guys aren't trying to see that the real application here is something like an office building where users don't require much computing power, or a retail store whose current terminals are bulky and slow. This isn't necessarily for the home user, but it could be a great solution for the grandparents who only need to book vacations, send emails and look at pictures of the grandkids.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Might be an interesting choice for businesses looking to switch back to 1970's client/server (buzzword: cloud computing). Nice power numbers; even with a few big beefy servers on the back end you could probably save some serious dough on power in a call center with say 1000 machines.

How expensive are they? I'd say it'd be OK if they're in the ~$100 price range (given the specs).

As much as I prefer DVI over hdmi on my pc, I think the form factor screams for mini hdmi instead of DVI.

[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]Might be an interesting choice for businesses looking to switch back to 1970's client/server (buzzword: cloud computing). Nice power numbers; even with a few big beefy servers on the back end you could probably save some serious dough on power in a call center with say 1000 machines.How expensive are they? I'd say it'd be OK if they're in the ~$100 price range (given the specs).As much as I prefer DVI over hdmi on my pc, I think the form factor screams for mini hdmi instead of DVI.[/citation]

You dont want to know......

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.aspx?key=Jack+PC+EFI&searchscope=All&sr=1&Find+it.x=35&Find+it.y=14

[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]You guys aren't trying to see that the real application here is something like an office building where users don't require much computing power, or a retail store whose current terminals are bulky and slow. This isn't necessarily for the home user, but it could be a great solution for the grandparents who only need to book vacations, send emails and look at pictures of the grandkids.[/citation]

well said. Could also be used if you're looking into max power saving along high amount of computers like kelemvor4 mentioned.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
But you still need a monitor - wait there are PCs built into those as well.
Then there is the keyboard - wait Asus already built a PC in one of those as well.
Whatever next, a PC in a mouse? A PC in your clothes? A PC embedded in your body

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Old or new, this is a very creative design, kudos to the inventor. But with those low specs it seems that this will run word or some other business application, and some light surfing or checking email. I have no experience with Win CE, but this just seems to be a litte lacking under the hood.

[Edit] HOLY COW!!! I just followed the link on Warmon's post a few up, seems that these were priced far to high to justify the small form-factor. You can get many different styles of compact desktops at a far more reasonable price and with much higher processing power. I fail to see the advantages outweighing the cons of this product.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Whatever next, a PC in a mouse? A PC in your clothes? A PC embedded in your body[/citation]
No. What's next, is you realize that peecee's suck, and you get a Mac.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]You guys aren't trying to see that the real application here is something like an office building where users don't require much computing power, or a retail store whose current terminals are bulky and slow. This isn't necessarily for the home user, but it could be a great solution for the grandparents who only need to book vacations, send emails and look at pictures of the grandkids.[/citation]
+1 dude, great idea to use as a point of sale device

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Old or new, this is a very creative design, kudos to the inventor. But with those low specs it seems that this will run word or some other business application, and some light surfing or checking email. I have no experience with Win CE, but this just seems to be a litte lacking under the hood.[/citation]

It's not designed to run anything locally. It boots over a network from a server, and provides access to that server's computing power. Everything except the UI would be run on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS