Jade Empire...

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:h6SdnRj3zfwowavfRVn-jA@giganews.com...
> is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>
>

It is as sweet as I thought it would be. Didn't you think you would get to
fight the golem?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:55:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!

I read that Bioware actually hired a professer with a PhD in linguistics
to invent the language used for the game, complete with its own syntax, grammar,
and 2.500 word vocabulary. That, plus all of the motion-captured fighting
moves, and the variety of fighting styles, shows that the game is an RPG which
Bioware is taking seriously, as is common for them.

--
I've gone to look for myself. If I should get back before I return, keep me here!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

David Oldridge wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:55:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
> <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>> is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>
> I read that Bioware actually hired a professer with a PhD in
> linguistics
> to invent the language used for the game, complete with its own
> syntax, grammar, and 2.500 word vocabulary. That, plus all of the
> motion-captured fighting moves, and the variety of fighting styles,
> shows that the game is an RPG which Bioware is taking seriously, as
> is common for them.

Well, I just hope they didn't cut huge chunks out of the ending, like
they did for KOTOR2...(though I know, it was Obsidian that did it,
but...)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Did Bioware at least get the framerate solid this time?

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:h6SdnRj3zfwowavfRVn-jA@giganews.com...
> is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Skye wrote:

> Did Bioware at least get the framerate solid this time?

As a matter of fact, yeah. You gonna cry now?

-Z-
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:113ddahh6k2d580@news.supernews.com...
> David Oldridge wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:55:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
>> <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>>> is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>>
>> I read that Bioware actually hired a professer with a PhD in
>> linguistics
>> to invent the language used for the game, complete with its own
>> syntax, grammar, and 2.500 word vocabulary. That, plus all of the
>> motion-captured fighting moves, and the variety of fighting styles,
>> shows that the game is an RPG which Bioware is taking seriously, as
>> is common for them.
>
> Well, I just hope they didn't cut huge chunks out of the ending, like
> they did for KOTOR2...(though I know, it was Obsidian that did it,
> but...)

if you knew it was obsidian that did it then why even make that statement?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:13:44 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>David Oldridge wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:55:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
>> <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>>> is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>>
>> I read that Bioware actually hired a professer with a PhD in
>> linguistics
>> to invent the language used for the game, complete with its own
>> syntax, grammar, and 2.500 word vocabulary. That, plus all of the
>> motion-captured fighting moves, and the variety of fighting styles,
>> shows that the game is an RPG which Bioware is taking seriously, as
>> is common for them.
>
>Well, I just hope they didn't cut huge chunks out of the ending, like
>they did for KOTOR2...(though I know, it was Obsidian that did it,
>but...)

With KOTOR2, a completely different developer bumped the release date
backwards, so they could have it out in time for Christmas sales. Bioware
reportedly finished Jade Empire months ago, and have since been adding extra
polish and presumably doing some extra tweaking. Different team, different
approach.

--
I've gone to look for myself. If I should get back before I return, keep me here!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

David Oldridge <david.oldridge2001_no_longer_valid@rogers.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:55:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
><xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>>is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>
> I read that Bioware actually hired a professer with a PhD in linguistics
>to invent the language used for the game, complete with its own syntax, grammar,
>and 2.500 word vocabulary. That, plus all of the motion-captured fighting

Nice, but ultimately it sounds like what they did for KOTOR but
hopefully more thorough: a natural-sounding fake language they can use to
avoid having to the costs and storage space for full voice acting.

Depending on how it sounds, I think I may end up hoping those
parts just went silent. I dunno. With KOTOR, I started hearing repeated
sentence fragments from different species used in completely different
contexts, and the cumulative effect of that was to make it less
convincing. I suppose there isn't an easy answer except for either full
voice acting or silence.

--
Wiggum: No. We need to find out who it belonged to. We want a DNA test.
DNA guy: Ooh, ooh, ee, ooh, ooh, that takes, uh, eight to ten weeks.
Wiggum: [sighs, hands him a carton of cigarettes]
DNA guy: Did I say weeks? 'Cause I meant seconds.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 03:57:33 +0000 (UTC), archang@sfu.ca (Andrew Ryan Chang)
wrote:
>David Oldridge <david.oldridge2001_no_longer_valid@rogers.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:55:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
>><xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>>>is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>>
>> I read that Bioware actually hired a professer with a PhD in linguistics
>>to invent the language used for the game, complete with its own syntax, grammar,
>>and 2.500 word vocabulary. That, plus all of the motion-captured fighting
>
> Nice, but ultimately it sounds like what they did for KOTOR but
>hopefully more thorough: a natural-sounding fake language they can use to
>avoid having to the costs and storage space for full voice acting.
>
> Depending on how it sounds, I think I may end up hoping those
>parts just went silent. I dunno. With KOTOR, I started hearing repeated
>sentence fragments from different species used in completely different
>contexts, and the cumulative effect of that was to make it less
>convincing. I suppose there isn't an easy answer except for either full
>voice acting or silence.

KOTOR didn't have its own language though, which is why you heard
inconsistencies. What Bioware is doing with Jade Empire is full voice acting,
it's just in a language which will be foreign to everyone, much like the Elven
language in LotR.

--
I've gone to look for myself. If I should get back before I return, keep me here!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:55:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>

Just received the new OXM today.

I liked Jade Empire and it's definitely on my buy list but the demo
left me slightly underwhelmed.

My first impression was that the fighting system lacked much in the
way of moves and combos, but I chalk that up to my inexperience with
the game. The graphics also weren't as good as I expected, but you
cant really judge a game by 5 minute demo.

BTW OXM gave Jade Empire a 9.4 and the new Splinter Cell a 9.9
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:

> Well, I'd kind of hope so. But I really, really doubt it.

Supposedly it's true. But I guess we won't know for sure until it's out.

Bioware has said they really wanted to have some characters speak a foreign
(to the player) tongue, but the reason they created their own language
instead of just using Mandarin or something was it would have been far too
difficult to find voice actors who could speak (or even convincingly read) a
real-world language with the proper accent. With a made-up language, no
native speakers will be jarred out of the game by thinking, "Man, that
accent is terrible, and he didn't conjugate the verb properly either!"

-Z-
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Imperium wrote:

> My first impression was that the fighting system lacked much in the
> way of moves and combos, but I chalk that up to my inexperience with
> the game.

I think that's kind of the point. It's supposed to be an action game that
won't alienate RPGers, so there are no complex combos. It's more about
choosing which fighting style is best for which type of enemies than it is
about hitting X, A, X, B, X to pull off a Mystic Lotus Tiger Strike or
something.

> The graphics also weren't as good as I expected, but you
> cant really judge a game by 5 minute demo.

The graphics aren't earth shattering, true. But at least they're better than
KOTOR. And the world is purty. Probably gets purtier as you go along. After
playing the demo I'm more stoked for this than I was for KOTOR.

> BTW OXM gave Jade Empire a 9.4 and the new Splinter Cell a 9.9

Am I the only one who is really not that excited about the new Splinter
Cell? Loved the original, liked Pandora but I have trouble imagining how a
third game is going to be any different from the first two. The formula is
getting old. Multiplayer is cool but you REALLY need to play with people of
the exact same skill/experience level (and who actually communicate and use
teamwork) or it's a joke.

-Z-
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
news:6dqdnQzWE7nLxaXfRVn-uA@giganews.com...
> Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:
>
>> Well, I'd kind of hope so. But I really, really doubt it.
>
> Supposedly it's true. But I guess we won't know for sure until it's out.
>
> Bioware has said they really wanted to have some characters speak a
> foreign (to the player) tongue, but the reason they created their own
> language instead of just using Mandarin or something was it would have
> been far too difficult to find voice actors who could speak (or even
> convincingly read) a real-world language with the proper accent. With a
> made-up language, no native speakers will be jarred out of the game by
> thinking, "Man, that accent is terrible, and he didn't conjugate the verb
> properly either!"
>
> -Z-
>
>

a billion Chinese on the planet and Bioware can't find one to speak Mandarin
correctly?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Did I miss somethign with this demo?

Walk down the stairs, fight the one monster at the bottom, a couple of other
bottom feeders, collect their 'coins' that they leave behind, change styles
of fighting, fight another big monster in the style of the monster you beat
previously, collect coins from the other bottom feeders, see the 'gollum'
and you're done.

Did I miss a part of this demo? 'Cause it really was 5 mins worth of
playtime. Kind of underwhelming.


"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
news:0dqdnQHgjIse_avfRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
>
> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:h6SdnRj3zfwowavfRVn-jA@giganews.com...
>> is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!
>>
>>
>
> It is as sweet as I thought it would be. Didn't you think you would get
> to fight the golem?
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Hey Zack,

I know what you mean about the new splinter cell but after playing the demo
i can see all the changes they made. there seem to be less restrictions on
the missions and we are now able to complete the missions however we see
fit instead of following a set path. The knife is an awsome addition
considering that the elbow attack was next to useless in the previous
splinter cell games. The new online co-op game sounds like a blast as well.
and the fact that you can save anywhere during the mission and select your
weapons before missions seems pretty cool as well although I would probably
always go with the weapons recomended for each mission. Look at it this
way, at least it's worth a rental. And if you have a gamefly account you
could rent and later buy the copy you rented by selecting the "keep it"
option. Either way you owe it to yourself to at least give the game a go.

--
Message posted via http://www.gameskb.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Khee Mao wrote:

> a billion Chinese on the planet and Bioware can't find one to speak
> Mandarin correctly?

They wouldn't need one, they'd need several. Who are also good voice actors.
I don't know if Bioware does their voice stuff in house, but if they do then
they'd also have to be in Canada or close enough to travel cheaply and stay
for a duration. And before any of that could happen, Bioware would have to
have experts translate everything into grammatically perfect Mandarin (or
Cantonese or Korean or whatever they chose.) All that versus having one
eager linguistics grad student invent a language. It's not such a baffling
decision.

-Z-
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:56:30 GMT, "Gerald Compton via GamesKB.com"
<forum@GamesKB.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know what this month's hidden demo is? please post the code
>once you find out.

The hidden game is the FPS Tron 2.0. Haven't seen the code yet.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> is on the new OXM demo disc. Woo hoo!

Finally had time to play the demo. This game did nothing for me. Granted,
few demos do nothing for me, but I may pass on this one. I'm sure to get
flamed for this, but Chinese culture has never interested me.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Zackman <zackman@spamisevilearthling.net> wrote:

> Bioware has said they really wanted to have some characters speak a foreign
> (to the player) tongue, but the reason they created their own language
> instead of just using Mandarin or something was it would have been far too
> difficult to find voice actors who could speak (or even convincingly read) a
> real-world language with the proper accent. With a made-up language, no
> native speakers will be jarred out of the game by thinking, "Man, that
> accent is terrible, and he didn't conjugate the verb properly either!"

What? How hard would it have been to find someone with an acting
background who also speaks Mandarin? Bioware's up in Canada, right? All
they had to do was go auditioning in Vancouver or Toronto - to say nothing
of hitting San Francisco or LA...

So what'd they do instead? Make up a fakey-Asian language? Bleh.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Zackman <zackman@spamisevilearthling.net> wrote:

> They wouldn't need one, they'd need several. Who are also good voice actors.
> I don't know if Bioware does their voice stuff in house, but if they do then
> they'd also have to be in Canada or close enough to travel cheaply and stay
> for a duration. And before any of that could happen, Bioware would have to
> have experts translate everything into grammatically perfect Mandarin (or
> Cantonese or Korean or whatever they chose.) All that versus having one
> eager linguistics grad student invent a language. It's not such a baffling
> decision.

I've been told Vancouver's Chinese population rivals that of the LA area,
and there's still Toronto, San Francisco and Chicago.

It certainly couldn't have been that difficult or even expensive to find
people who could do the lines while not sounding like they're just reading
them. As for translation, again, that should have been easy. We're not
dealing with highly technical, scientific, or even academic material here,
so this really isn't an issue. Heck, I'm guessing that a native speaker
and a graduate student from the Chinese Studies program could probably
produce a script that would be adequate.

If the game's supposed to take place in China, why go through the hassle
of creating a fakey language that will still have to be read by actors?
It's not like we don't know what Mandarin sounds like, and personally, it
would have added an extra bit of realism to the game. (besides, it'd amuse
me to see how much I could understand with my minimal Mandarin skills ;)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>Zackman <zackman@spamisevilearthling.net> wrote:
>
>> Bioware has said they really wanted to have some characters speak a foreign
>> (to the player) tongue, but the reason they created their own language
>> instead of just using Mandarin or something was it would have been far too
>> difficult to find voice actors who could speak (or even convincingly read) a
>> real-world language with the proper accent. With a made-up language, no
>> native speakers will be jarred out of the game by thinking, "Man, that
>> accent is terrible, and he didn't conjugate the verb properly either!"
>
>What? How hard would it have been to find someone with an acting
>background who also speaks Mandarin? Bioware's up in Canada, right? All
>they had to do was go auditioning in Vancouver or Toronto - to say nothing
>of hitting San Francisco or LA...

I agree with your main point, but this has a bit of "Toronto's
just an hour's drive away from Vancouver, right" feel to it...

I still believe this constructed language will be used to save
disc space; if it exhibits the same thing as KOTOR ("alien language"
"sentences" being obviously repeated over completely distinct subtitles),
then we'll be sure I was right.


Okay, but that said, it is hard to find good voice actors; see
what a mess Capcom and Sega tend to make of it.

--
The only thing "free" about so-called free time is that it doesn't cost
the boss anything. Free time is mostly devoted to getting ready for work,
going to work, returning from work, and recovering from work.
-- "THE ABOLITION OF WORK" by Bob Black
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:55:01 +0000 (UTC), archang@sfu.ca (Andrew Ryan
Chang) wrote:
> I still believe this constructed language will be used to save
>disc space; if it exhibits the same thing as KOTOR ("alien language"
>"sentences" being obviously repeated over completely distinct subtitles),
>then we'll be sure I was right.

Well, at least in KOTOR it's consistent with the Star Wars universe.
I think Leia-as-bounty hunter in ROTJ says exactly two words
throughout her conversation about the thermal detonator.

"Key-oh-toe, key-oh-tay"
"I have come for the bounty on this wookie"
"Key-oh-toe, key-oh-tay"
"50,000--no less"
"Key-oh-toe, key-oh-tay"
"I'm holding a thermal detonator"

And so on. :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Andrew Ryan Chang said

>
> Nice, but ultimately it sounds like what they did for KOTOR but
> hopefully more thorough: a natural-sounding fake language they can use to
> avoid having to the costs and storage space for full voice acting.

I thought the languages in KOTOR were from Star Wars, and that they used
them to be true to the movies instead of having every alien in the galaxy
speak Basic.

--
The Kitchen Sink
http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/m/gmagnus/