[SOLVED] Jagged edges on specific textures

Zickan

Prominent
Dec 29, 2021
Hello!

My computer / monitor:

4th Gen m2 SSD / Nvidia 3060 12gb / 16gb DDR4 / i5 11600k 5ghz watercooled / W10 / ASUS VG248QE 144hz 1ms

What I've tried already:
Mix-n-Match Nvidia control panel settings + ingame settings in various games, checked guides, youtube, forums, changed monitors, tried with Vsync on/off both ingame / nvidia controlpanel / tried with 1440p monitors too

My problem/issue:
I see jagged edges on various textures, especially thin textures. I heard that it's pretty common that AA can't handle the thin lines, but I never had those insane AA issues even 5+ years ago with older computers, maybe I wasn't as picky about graphics, not sure.
Just a few meters infront of me, the edges starts to flickering and it feels like the objects are moving, when in reality it's me moving my character, if i then go closer to the object so i stand literally on top of it, it then feels better, but i can still see some jagged edges but very minimal. For example in the game Raft, 98% of the game looks perfect, but the platform im standing on contains different squares and literally every corner and edge on each square has jagged edges, when the water also creates waves, the platform starts moving which makes the jagged edges flickering even more too and it's extremly annoying. In the example below, it's a bit worse when looking at the clip in fullscreen. This also happens in other games too!

Examples:
The game Raft(Every setting maxed out in-game): https://gyazo.com/bd924d285407658d3df0ddc2f53a8893 (This is 7 sec-live recorded, so this is how it looks literally all the time)

Hope i made the post decently clear for you guys to understand my issue, since I don't know the issue, it's also hard to explain it, thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, you can manually change ini files. I have to for my Skyrim, with the body and skin texture mods I have, if ambient occlusion is enabled in-game, my toons look like they have the plague, all black and blotchy. That requires editing the ini file under 'display' and setting the AmbientOcclusion=0.

The only thing I change in nvidia global settings is the 3d virtual render (it goes by different names sometimes) . It's set for default=3. I change that to default=1. Having 3 means the frame renders 3x before it's shipped to the monitor. That's ok if fps=refresh or close, but since my fps averages closer to 200 and monitor refresh is 60Hz, I'm not worried about stutters or artifacts.

Otherwise, let app decide is best option as that...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does the game have option for anisotropic filtering? If it doesn't try force in NvidiaCP. Most games have option for 16x. It's suppose to clear up surfaces viewed at a distance but those lines look more like shimmering. AF might help with that, if not, you're at mercy of the game's render engine, possibly Nvidia driver related.

Zickan

Prominent
Dec 29, 2021
Does the game have option for anisotropic filtering? If it doesn't try force in NvidiaCP. Most games have option for 16x. It's suppose to clear up surfaces viewed at a distance but those lines look more like shimmering. AF might help with that, if not, you're at mercy of the game's render engine, possibly Nvidia driver related.
Thanks for your reply, the game has only a simple AA that can be turned on or off, nothing els. I tried having it on ingame while having x16 filtering in the nividia controlpanel, but nothing changed

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Usually those problems is either game engine or graphics driver related since you recorded internally so it couldn't be monitor. If trying different anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering, dsr factor methods doesn't help then it's game engine fault.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many games, in the ini file, will have Ambient Occlusion set for 1 or 0, that's literally 1=enabled,0=disabled. Try changing it to the other. NV will be trying to use one set of filters, your game another forced by ambient occlusion and that can cause issues with shadowing and shading.

Most times though it's a difference between what's available for reproduction vs what the settings/gpu are capable of. Take a high powered technically advanced gpu and make it draw lines that don't exist in the original picture. Like trying to make minecraft heads rounder instead of perfectly square. Something older gpus weren't capable of.

Last edited:

Zickan

Prominent
Dec 29, 2021
Usually those problems is either game engine or graphics driver related since you recorded internally so it couldn't be monitor. If trying different anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering, dsr factor methods doesn't help then it's game engine fault.
Aight i guess its the game engine then, Raft is 4 years old and they have only AA and nothing els. I tried forcing various options through nvidia controlpanel, but nothing worked.

Many games, in the ini file, will have Ambient Occlusion set for 1 or 0, that's literally 1=enabled,0=disabled. Try changing it to the other. NV will be trying to use one set of filters, your game another forced by ambient occlusion and that can cause issues with shadowing and shading.

Most times though it's a difference between what's available for reproduction vs what the settings/gpu are capable of. Take a high powered technically advanced gpu and make it draw lines that don't exist in the original picture. Like trying to make minecraft heads rounder instead of perfectly square. Something older gpus weren't capable of.
In some games the Ambient occlusion will exist in the actual game settings, will that have the same effect if i were to turn it on / off ingame, or is it necessary to change it in the ini-file and am I allowed to even change things in the ini-files?
I also wonder, whats the best overall settings to use in nvidia controlpanel, Now i have the first button active, "let 3d program decide", but ive read that alot of people said that taking the second option "use the 3d advanced settings" then personally pick whatever i want, but there are a million different guides on that and everyone says different, Low latency should be off or its really bad for u, the next guide says "use ultra". Some say don't force x16 A-filtering since it messes with the game when u have it ingame too, while some say use it, since most computers handle that today. Negative LOD-bias should be allowed / clamp and so on, It's just very confusing, since i don't wanna mess something up, but still get the best experience in games. I have a good computer (see specs in the first post above) so it feels sad to have those issues =( Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you can manually change ini files. I have to for my Skyrim, with the body and skin texture mods I have, if ambient occlusion is enabled in-game, my toons look like they have the plague, all black and blotchy. That requires editing the ini file under 'display' and setting the AmbientOcclusion=0.

The only thing I change in nvidia global settings is the 3d virtual render (it goes by different names sometimes) . It's set for default=3. I change that to default=1. Having 3 means the frame renders 3x before it's shipped to the monitor. That's ok if fps=refresh or close, but since my fps averages closer to 200 and monitor refresh is 60Hz, I'm not worried about stutters or artifacts.

Otherwise, let app decide is best option as that relies on the game settings for AA and AF etc and doesn't force use of MXAA or FXAA etc.

For ppl who use the pc for production type work, those don't have 'in-game' settings, so with monitor differences, and the owners physical perceptions and limitations to eyesight, having global settings means some sort of control.

Personally, I use GeForce Experience to set the settings of best picture vs best performance, then change any settings in-game. Like Skyrim is set for a 4k DSR, but 1080p resolution, and my gpu is strong enough to still get more than 60fps on screen. Since fps isn't a high demand in that game, it's good.

Solution

Zickan

Prominent
Dec 29, 2021

Otherwise, let app decide is best option as that relies on the game settings for AA and AF etc and doesn't force use of MXAA or FXAA etc.

For ppl who use the pc for production type work, those don't have 'in-game' settings, so with monitor differences, and the owners physical perceptions and limitations to eyesight, having global settings means some sort of control.

Personally, I use GeForce Experience to set the settings of best picture vs best performance, then change any settings in-game. Like Skyrim is set for a 4k DSR, but 1080p resolution, and my gpu is strong enough to still get more than 60fps on screen. Since fps isn't a high demand in that game, it's good.

Okey, i followed a video recently and did exactly what he recommended in the video and i can't say it's perfect, but it's much much better than before, the insane shimmering /flickering and such isn't there and i keep the same fps as i had before, jagged edges are still there but it seems impossible to remove all of that anyway in a game that only has "AA On/off", so it's playable now and it feels much better than before, ill send u the video and see what u think of the options, but again, to me they worked really well tbh.
(I felt recently i also had a red tint over the whole monitor and it ruined colors for me and so on and thought something was wrong with settings too, but after alot of searching i found out that the "red touch" on the whole monitor was me having nightmode activated in windows 10 and I don't even remember turning that on but anyway, even that problem is solved now for me so I'm happy)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LMURlXc5-8

TRENDING THREADS