Japanese Cryptocurrency Exchange Loses Over $500 Million In Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I thought one of the touting assets to cryptocurrency was suppose to be it's relative safety compared to traditional currencies...I find this rather amusing. It sucks for those involved, but you know so too does the impact mining has had on gaming. The latter of which has been around a lot longer and supported GPU makers a lot longer. This cryptocurrency fad that can't last with the same amount if vigor indefinitely it'll slow down or fizzle out eventually while gaming will prevail because it's a fundamental part of society and entertainment.

InvalidError

Titan

Gaming won't prevail: datacenter compute accounts for ~25% of AMD and Nvidia's GPU business and 2-3 years from now, it'll likely account for 60-70%. It isn't a coincidence that both AMD and Nvidia are introducing their compute-centric cards months ahead of mainstream GPUs based on new architectures and that Intel is suddenly in a hurry to get back in the GPGPU race. That's where future revenue for embarrassingly parallel workloads is.

While that might true, gaming will still "prevail" over cryptomining for discrete consumer grade GPU sales, which I suspect is what the knowom meant. Datacenters tend to favour speciality GPUs, which as you say I'm sure will become more important in the future.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

This has nothing to do with the security of the currency itself, and everything to do with the security of the exchange (most of which are uninsured). That's why it's recommended to never keep any significant value of currency on an exchange, but rather in a personal wallet.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
imagine a secret code embedded in a GPU that can track concurrency or at least leave bread crumb trails for hackers to get hold of the currency one way or another. You mine, THEY take.. me not that kind of orc.

Status
Not open for further replies.