News Japanese Government Will Finally Stop Using Floppy Disks and CD-ROMs

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably outdated, but I was under the impression that a lot of nuclear launch stuff was still running on 10" floppy. But I also recall that they did a readiness study and a huge number of facilities were either not knowledgeable enough to perform a launch or the hardware wasn't in working order. Fired the general in charge as I recall. All started because they basically caught all the soldiers handing the answer sheet around during their certifications.

Sadly, fax machines are still the only officially acceptable medium for things like Law, Healthcare, and Government. Until that changes they will be around. I blame Xerox lobbyists.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Hey I actually like faxes! Just for the fact when you’re on the phone with someone (business environment), it’s a LOT easier to give a phone number than spell out an email. Which more often than not gets misunderstood…

Yeah we can text PDFs etc., but I haven’t seen anyone in this area who can do it from their work computers.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
You know we have this thing called Blu-Ray & BD-R's.

They should also bring back DVD-RAM & BD-RAM.

This way they can treat it like Floppy Discs, but much larger & Faster.

And give them a nice Cartridge to protect them and allow double sided usage.

Aug 31, 2022
Eximo, I think you may be mistaken. (No offense) I am unaware of there ever being a 10" floppy. The first floppies were 8", then came 5¼", and 3½". There were some oddball 1½"micro-floppies but they never made a splash because CDs came out and held more data. I have been in the computer business since 1969 so I have seen the entire progression of removable storage. My latest removable storage device is a 2TB SSD. What a long way from the 8" floppy!

Sangheili112

Prominent
Aug 31, 2022
Eximo, I think you may be mistaken. (No offense) I am unaware of there ever being a 10" floppy. The first floppies were 8", then came 5¼", and 3½". There were some oddball 1½"micro-floppies but they never made a splash because CDs came out and held more data. I have been in the computer business since 1969 so I have seen the entire progression of removable storage. My latest removable storage device is a 2TB SSD. What a long way from the 8" floppy!

It was the 8" being used for nuclear or the large ones.
Ironically it's little more secure when it comes to data privacy and security other then the Japenese guy who lost a usb flash drive that had all the names in a city.

But floppies not to many have readers anymore even the nuclear codes are using a old language from 1990s? Might be older that only few knows now

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Now if the DMV in the US would stop using fax machines and clay tablets.

I imagine many states are behind the times, but almost every transaction with the CA DMV these days is online. The exceptions are mostly stuff where the laws require them to see you, e.g. I had to visit the DMV to take my real ID picture. That was the first time I physically visited them in the last decade.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
It is quite interesting to hear floppy disks even now, especially when we are talking about the supposedly technologically advanced Japan. Besides the fact that floppy disks don't offer a lot of storage in today's context, I feel they are very reliable storage. As I recall, this was still a common storage solution at least 2.5 to 3 decades back, and they don't fail, unlike today's flash drive that may die suddenly.

The number of inches doesn't have any impact until you see bro derrick look like a DJ trying to use a floppy. Well, I guess actual DJs would get it since singles are usually 7"
2L7nlVl.png

You know we have this thing called Blu-Ray & BD-R's.

They should also bring back DVD-RAM & BD-RAM.

This way they can treat it like Floppy Discs, but much larger & Faster.

And give them a nice Cartridge to protect them and allow double sided usage.
Bah, they should upgrade from floppies to zip drives..

KyaraM

Admirable
It was the 8" being used for nuclear or the large ones.
Ironically it's little more secure when it comes to data privacy and security other then the Japenese guy who lost a usb flash drive that had all the names in a city.

But floppies not to many have readers anymore even the nuclear codes are using a old language from 1990s? Might be older that only few knows now
I mean, if you transport a USB stick with sensitive data on it apparently completely unencrypted, then you are the security issue, not the USB stick... not as if it's very hard to encrypt them, either. And in all honesty, that applies to any and all media.

Last edited:
Reactions: GenericUser

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
At present, Japanese laws contain 1,900 provisions requiring the use of obsolete storage media, such as 3.5-inch diskettes or CD-ROMs. Going digital will make Japanese government agencies more efficient overall as file transfers via the Internet are quicker.
Careless writing here, you appear to imply that the older storage media are not digital, plainly ridiculous.