Japanese Scientists Create RAM Storage Based on Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
this is a good advancement but needs to be alot bigger at least 64K - 128MB for a router in a optical network. I am glad to see this is being done and really hope the bandwidth gets bigger and the time which data can be stored gets longer as 10 seconds would mean alot of ARP calls throughout the network which were not there with electronic RAM and thus more overhead even though it is faster.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
also @victorous 3930K this is NOT for your PC this is for network equipment which typically use high speed 64K chips at most they are 128K chips so yeah we might have a 1TB hard drive but that would be total overkill for a piece of equipment in the target market for the light RAM.
Also Light based computers failed in the consumer market because they were not cheap enough and were not that practical for the consumer.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Always wondered where do they come up with the dates? With the current advancement in electronics i'm sure someone will come up with a 1gb ver. in a few years..

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]victorious 3930k[/nom]By then 1TB+ RAM will be standard. Who cares if it's deadly fast if it can't run their apps![/citation]

Look pal, there's a reason why DRAM is never used as a cache for processors, or why processors even have cache. DRAM's latency is way too high for such high CPU performance, especially if you have the DRAM located a few centimeters away from the CPU.

I don't care about your hexacore 6 GHz processor if it doesn't have enough cache or none at all, because it's going to spend almost all of its cycles on waiting for the DRAM to respond and end up being a really hot .1 GHz processor.

dick0

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
'The approach apparently enabled the scientists to store data for up to 10 seconds, which is up from 250 nanoseconds in previous similar devices.'

are you sure about the 10 seconds?? thought I read a post somewhere last week theat said 10 ms.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
5 year wait for this to be in the Server Market, $1000;
additional 3 year wait for this to be in the consumer market ,$100;
a chance to own your own son in a ultra realistic video game because you have better frame rates than him with light based ram, Priceless.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I wouldn't be surprised some government lab has been sitting on this type of tech for decades with working samples.[/citation]

Or if a patent troll sat on a patent that vaguely mentions o-RAM, and proceeds to file lawsuit against every tech company that dare to use it...

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Look pal, there's a reason why DRAM is never used as a cache for processors, or why processors even have cache. DRAM's latency is way too high for such high CPU performance, especially if you have the DRAM located a few centimeters away from the CPU.I don't care about your hexacore 6 GHz processor if it doesn't have enough cache or none at all, because it's going to spend almost all of its cycles on waiting for the DRAM to respond and end up being a really hot .1 GHz processor.[/citation]

He apologised before you posted this. Just fyi.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Look pal, there's a reason why DRAM is never used as a cache for processors, or why processors even have cache. DRAM's latency is way too high for such high CPU performance, especially if you have the DRAM located a few centimeters away from the CPU.I don't care about your hexacore 6 GHz processor if it doesn't have enough cache or none at all, because it's going to spend almost all of its cycles on waiting for the DRAM to respond and end up being a really hot .1 GHz processor.[/citation]

Actually, several processors use DRAM as a cache. It is MUCH faster than the DRAM used in system memory, but it is still DRAM. It's called eDRAM, embedded DRAM. I think that the Xenon and Cell processors use it, among others. It is used for higher capacity caches (it is about five times denser than usual SRAM, or something like that) than SRAM, but somewhat slower. It makes a great L3 cache with SRAM L1 and L2 caches.

eDRAM isn't as dense as system DRAM, but it is still the same tech, but using a different process. System DRAM uses a different, higher performance process than CPUs and CPU cache usually do.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Actually, several processors use DRAM as a cache. It is MUCH faster than the DRAM used in system memory, but it is still DRAM. It's called eDRAM, embedded DRAM. I think that the Xenon and Cell processors use it, among others. It is used for higher capacity caches (it is about five times denser than usual SRAM, or something like that) than SRAM, but somewhat slower. It makes a great L3 cache with SRAM L1 and L2 caches.eDRAM isn't as dense as system DRAM, but it is still the same tech, but using a different process. System DRAM uses a different, higher performance process than CPUs and CPU cache usually do.[/citation]

Also, the main reason for DRAM's latency is because it is far from the CPU, not because it is actually THAT slow. It is a lot lower even with regular DRAM instead of eDRAM if you just put the chips next to the processor, but we can't get huge capacities cheaply that way and it would make upgrading system DRAM a lot more difficult. DRAM isn't as fast as SRAM, but it is very fast when used in situations as ideal as how SRAM is used. Remember, regardless of how fast SRAM is, it is right in the processor instead of several inches away and not even on the same board as the processor. Look at GDDR5, RLDRAM, and XDR2 memory. these are all very fast memory technologies that utilize DRAM and none off them are even still new. Heck, XDR2 is probably about as old as GDDR3 and I'm not sure about the age of current RLDRAM.

Give DRAM a superior interface such as XDR2 and RLDRAM and a cooler like what CPUs have and it can be VERY fast. Remember too, system memory isn't being given much power. We have those overclocking records with DDR3 that get minute timings at very high frequencies, I bet they have latency that is many times lower than usual system memory.

Don't count system memory as a basing point for DRAM's performance, it is not intended for high performance so it's not given circumstances that would allow high performance very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.